Godawful Uniforms

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Godawful Uniforms

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, we've certainly spent more than enough time mocking the fashion sense of Starfleet's clothing designers, so I suppose it's about time we had a thread devoted to it.

To start the ball rolling: First series TNG uniforms and TMP uniforms, which ones are worse?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: Godawful Uniforms

Post by shran »

The lack of nametags is particularly irritating on my part, as I'll need those, especially when dealing with different individuals from the same species. Along with that, pockets. Or rather, the lack thereof.
Another one mentioned in one of our infamous fnafics is the lack of velcro, but still using metallic pins for combadges.
A clear distinction in branches via uniforms lacks. Also, said distinction is far from uniform.
Also, on away missions in hostile enviroments there should be special uniforms suited to the enviroment, so a basic green camouflage in a green jungle, grey for concrete cities, and so on. A little bit of common sense.
Also, white dress uniforms. The amount of spilling on it must be horribly visible.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:First series TNG uniforms and TMP uniforms, which ones are worse?
TNG first season. The TMP unis may have been ugly to our aesthetic, but that's the end of it. The first-season TNG unitards appeared uncomfortable; had as much storage as if the wearer were nude (and less access, even if you were inclined to use the Colombian pocket; ) and the man-minis? Come on, mini-dresses (or any dresses, really) make zero sense for active-duty or fatigue unis. In TOS, they were a concession to the RL time frame; in TNG, they were an over-obvious attempt to say "Hey, look - it's the future of the future!" They were impractical, and contributed to a non-standardization which goes against the very concept of having a uniform at all.

Oh, and Troi? WTF? I understand if she wore street clothes during a counselling appointment, but on the bridge? Are you a civvie or staff?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:First series TNG uniforms and TMP uniforms, which ones are worse?
TNG first season. The TMP unis may have been ugly to our aesthetic, but that's the end of it. The first-season TNG unitards appeared uncomfortable; had as much storage as if the wearer were nude (and less access, even if you were inclined to use the Colombian pocket; ) and the man-minis? Come on, mini-dresses (or any dresses, really) make zero sense for active-duty or fatigue unis. In TOS, they were a concession to the RL time frame; in TNG, they were an over-obvious attempt to say "Hey, look - it's the future of the future!" They were impractical, and contributed to a non-standardization which goes against the very concept of having a uniform at all.

Oh, and Troi? WTF? I understand if she wore street clothes during a counselling appointment, but on the bridge? Are you a civvie or staff?
I don't think I can add anything to that, so I'll just agree entirely.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I dunno, at least first season TNG sort of looked like uniforms, TMP looked like pajamas.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I dunno, at least first season TNG sort of looked like uniforms
Except for the fact that uniforms are supposed to be... well, uniform. Admitted that McCoy's leisure suit in TMP was non-standard, but it was far more widespread in TNG.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You've got three different colors, Red, Gold, and Blue. You've got two tops, long sleeve and short sleeve, and two pants, actual pants and mini-skirts. Ignoring Troi's catsuit which given the admiral's reaction to it later makes me think it's non standard anyways, that's not really that diverse a set of uniforms. You can find far more variation than that walking through a modern carrier, far more variation.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps, but those variations are broken down along the lines of different duties. In any case, this doesn't address the issue of them being impractical. Last time I checked, nobody in SF at the time had been wearing a sporran and tam with their fatigues or duty uni.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm not arguing that they aren't ridiculous, just that their degree of variation is actually minimal compared to what the modern armed services makes use of outside of all but dress uniforms.

First thing I did when I made up my own service for Starfleet was give everyone pockets.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The lack of pockets, except for the field coats in TWOK, has been an issue in every incarnation of 'Trek.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Except, ironically, for the worst of the lot. Say what you will about Enterprise, the uniforms were the most practical of the lot by a good margin.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ironic.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Except, ironically, for the worst of the lot. Say what you will about Enterprise, the uniforms were the most practical of the lot by a good margin.
Too true. Perhaps because they weren't Starfleet, and were based on real naval duty unis?
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Seafort wrote:Except, ironically, for the worst of the lot. Say what you will about Enterprise, the uniforms were the most practical of the lot by a good margin.
A positive thing about Enterprise... :suicide:

But really, great point. The uniforms on Enterprise reminded me of those astronaut training jumpsuits.

Fullsize image
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'd say TMP. Not only were they ugly, they were moronically made.

They were a one piece that closed at the back of the waste. Worst idea ever.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.