If you could be a captain in any era, which would it be?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

If you could be a captain in any era, which would it be?

Post by Bryan Moore »

The background: While driving into work this morning (Heavy fog and crappy traffic so my 40 minute commute turned into an hour) I was thinking about the scene in Star Trek VI where the Ensign played by Christian Slater wakes Sulu to ask where the Enterprise is and Sulu lies and responds he doesn't know.

I really couldn't help think how wonderful that was and how completely in character it was with the whole era: Captains blatantly bend the prime directive and the rules for the good of their crews, the galaxy, or the furthering of plots. Moreover, their liability was quite limited. And really, that was only going to happen in this particular era.
It must have been the galactic equivalent of the late 1800's: We had explored a good chunk of the area around us, but had yet tamed it. The communication lines were not so tight that bureaucracy had completely taken over and military officers were not in constant communication with Washington/Starfleet. We knew who our enemies were (Indians/Klingons) and knew how to use a little ingenuity to get things done.
Moreover, men like Kirk were revered by their friends and enemies alike. Klingons didn't mess with them, women loved them, their crews admired them and would follow them to the death.
Sure, technologically, Picard was better off, but to be in Kirk's era, you really had a lot of freedom and range to explore, fight, and do what you wanted, while still being in relative comfort.

The question: If you could be a Captain in any era of Trek, which would it be and why?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Movie-era.

Best ship of the lot (the Connie), best uniform of the lot, weapons that don't look like TV remotes, military ships that don't look like five-star hotels, warp cores that don't explode when you sneeze on them, Starfleet not micro-managing everything, a PD that aims to prevent damage but allows saving lives, the list goes on and on.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

DS9 era

You always get away with shit during war time. Plus it would be interesting.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd have to go with Movie-era. Technological upgrades from TOS, but a captain still seems to have a little leeway to excercise his own prerogative.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Ditto plus i like the blue chairs from Sulus' Excelsior
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Granite chooses his ship due to the chair color... Bryan get over here and kick his ass for us :D
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Yeah kick my ass, but i have blue chairs, and that awesome coffee cup, or at least i'd better have................they'll be some sh*t hitting the fan, if not!
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hey - with some of the "thoughtfulness" that Starfleet uses to design its ships, maybe chair color was a primary concern in engineering...
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd pick the later end of the TOS movie era. Loads of freedom. Cool looking ships. And you don't run as much risk of getting killed by your computer.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Did the captains get to choose their own chair color? I liked the blue Excelsior set quite a bit.

Oh, and if I had a second choice: Enterprise-E, post Dominion War.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Ent E post dominion war, you're a man who likes his charcoals and greys, there's no reason, a starship bridge can't be chic and not a horrendous fashion faux pas, we can all sit on bean bags!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Instead of flat-panel consoles, we could have LCARS displays on lava lamps!
as Bull offed Custer
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

Firstcontact, blacks and greys baby. and the chance to captain a Sovereign hell yeah!

;)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Movie-era or post DS9 for me. Both were eras of transition, there.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Pre Kirk... Pike's era. At that point the "time barrier" had just been broken... I don't know what the hell that is meant to mean, but it sounds exciting. Some big leap in speed happened by the sound of it, so a lot of new territory must have been just opening up. And whatever you say about Kirk's "less restrained" days, probably applied even more so in Pike's time since it was a decade or so earlier.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...