Leonard Nimoy Returns To Vulcan

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Leonard Nimoy Returns To Vulcan

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mr. Spock finally comes 'home'
Hundreds turn out to greet Leonard Nimoy in the small town of Vulcan, Alta.
By Eric Volmers, Calgary Herald April 23, 2010 6:02 PM

VULCAN- Despite a spell of unwelcoming hail, rain and snow, Mr. Spock finally arrived in the small Alberta town of Vulcan on Friday, ending what some say has been a 10-year quest to bring the half-human, half-Vulcan home.

Dressed casually in a grey sweater and black pants, a beaming Leonard Nimoy arrived without his trademark Vulcan ears to hundreds of cheering fans Friday afternoon outside the Vulcan Tourism Centre before joining a parade down the town's main drag to help celebrate the Vulcan's new status as the Star Trek capital of Canada.

By the time the 79-year-old actor offered his "live-long-and-prosper" handprint and unveiled a bronze bust of his most famous character, the sun was shining and the crowd had surged to an estimated 2,500 people.

"Wait until Bill Shatner hears about this," said Nimoy. "I have been a Vulcan for 44 years. It's about time I came home."

For town officials, it was the end to a long, weird and exhilarating quest to bring "Spock home."

In town for only a couple of hours, the actor is scheduled to be a guest at The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo this weekend. Vulcan is about 100 kilometres southeast of Calgary.

Nimoy's appearance caps off a decade-plus campaign to use Gene Roddenberry's popular Star Trek phenomenon to boost tourism for the town, which was actually named after the Roman god of fire. Each year, the town holds "Spock Days" -- a festival that celebrates the Star Trek connection every June.

"I think this is going to go down as one of the biggest days in Vulcan history," says Dayna Dickens, the town's tourism co-ordinator. "You know, certainly there's be some controversy with the town having its traditional Prairie roots. But I think the town has come together to welcome Mr. Nimoy here."

Certainly there was no sign of dissent along Vulcan's quaint main drag. A pharmacy, insurance company, the local tavern and even one abandoned building had been turned into makeshift shrines to Spock. His face peered from countless windows alongside posters and cut-outs of other cast members.New t-shirts had been designed, and a limited edition poster that pictured a Andy Warhol-like portrait of the pointy-eared, first-officer with the words "Welcome Home."

Star Trek movie marathons and the original series' score blasted from the windows of local businesses and the liquor store was enjoying brisk sales of Romulan ale. Vulcan jerky was being sold at the grocery shop and two high school students were dressed up as something called ee-chiyas, furry panther-like creatures that Klingon warriors apparently like to keep as pets. Town officials, including mayor Tom Grant, were decked out in full Star Trek garb. Nimoy lent a pair of his Vulcan ears and poster signed by the original cast to the town to display for a year.

Nimoy, who recently announced his retirement from acting, was clearly touched by the attention.

"I've never had an experience quite as touching as I'm having here today and I appreciate it," he said. "I'm just sorry it took me so long to get here."

For some of the town's older residents, the visit was indeed a long time coming.

"People thought they were crazy when (officials) started talking about Star Trek and they thought they were really crazy when they built the Trek centre but it's really been wonderful," says Betty McFadden, 75, referring to the town's Starship Enterprise-styled tourism building.

McFadden, who has been in Vulcan since 1952, wandered the main drag with her 80-year-old friend Betty Smith, both wearing the old-school red Star Trek shirts. Both said they hope the town embraces its new Star Trek-heavy theme.

For Jesse Zelisko, the 15-year-old who donned the elaborate ee-chiyas costume, Star Trek has always been a part of living in Vulcan.

"If you say southern Alberta, people know Vulcan," says Zelisko. "It's always been that Star Trek town."

But while the connection is hardly new, Vulcan got a major push in that direction last year. That was when Nimoy famously got behind the town's failed bid to hold the premiere of J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek reboot. Nimoy, who was the only original cast member to star in the film, read a Calgary Herald news report online that the town had been denied the premiere and decided to lend his support.

"We made some phone calls and one thing led to another ," said Nimoy, in an interview with the Herald prior to the event. "When Paramount got to thinking about it they thought they would show it in Calgary and bus 300 people in Vulcan, which I thought was great. But it just touched me as a very interesting problem that Vulcan couldn't get a screening of the movie."

Vulcan has already felt the benefits of Nimoy's plug. In 2009, it had 23,400 visitors come through town looking for Trekkie adventures. That's up from 16,800 in 2008. Now endorsed by CBS Television, which owns the licensing rights to Star Trek memorabilia, the town has been able to offer a new line of items at its tourism centre.

It was working. Eric Anderson, a 28-year-old Trekkie from Regina, said he spent "way too much" money there Friday morning.

"I bought this shirt, and it was cool because they had these limited-edition posters." he said excitedly, showing off a new t-shirt design with the words "Spock Beamed Down to Vulcan."

"I think there's only 500 available. I bought a Spock bobble-head doll and some knick-knacks. . . I sound like such a dweeb right now."
An entire town of Trekkies!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Leonard Nimoy Returns To Vulcan

Post by Reliant121 »

Deep god. A Town of us?

Anyone else thinking vaguely of Eureka?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That's actually the first thing that came to mind. I guess they may not be "real" trekkies though, they were slightly forced into it... :lol:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sionnach Glic wrote:...You know, certainly there's be some controversy with the town having its traditional Prairie roots...
It's good to know that poor grammar isn't a phenomena confined to the American south. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939