You're the Admiral! (DITL version)

Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

You're the Admiral! (DITL version)

Post by sunnyside »

Yes in this thread you take the part of an admiral. I've wanted to try this, and hopefully it won't suck up too much time the way handling ship to ship combat or arguing about Sovereigns does. :P

Anyway this is based off of YTA threads done on other boards (which I've heard of but never seen or tried), but with a Daystrom twist in that we can use the DITL figures as gospel in order to be on the same page, and take things in a slightly different direction. More on that later.

You'll pick a fleet and the describe as the thread goes on how you intend to use it while commenting on others plans. After some discussion I'll add the next set of events, which will be the same for everyone. If you were unable or unwilling to resolve something with your forces than you'll just have to deal with using a common Trek plot hole/character shield type solution. Try to avoid that, but don't worry too much, It's all in fun, and this is the first time. This is going on a few years after the Dominion war. And I do have most of the up coming events written out already.

So, first, where you're going.

This is the Eneb system, with a race of bumpy headed humanoids that refer to themselves as, and end their planet names in, Eneb.

This region of space, while certainly 3D, can be mapped flat as everything is for all intents and purposes on the same Z plane.

Not too much is known about the area. An Intrepid class ship, the USS Hermes, arrived from the "south", made contact with the Eneb, and moved on to the "north". However the Eneb of T'Eneb were dazzled by Starfleet, both their technology and way of life. The Eneb had an early TOS era technology base. Socially they were harsh capitalists, their citizens fighting each other in a rat race to gain wealth at the cost of personal happiness. The Federation is very interested in gaining new allies at this point, and T'Eneb is now a protectorate of the Federation and is being fast tracked through to full membership as they revolutionize their society.

The homeworld, Chur'Eneb and the other two colonized planets are much more leery.

However they are more than willing to invite the Federation into the area. There have been ongoing but low frequency raids on trading vessels by small cloaked craft. The Hermies thought that it could barely pick one up as it went through the system. These attacks are part of why the Eneb haven't even really explored their own sector, Eneb captains start getting very nervous any distance from their home planets.

As for the rest.of the sector the Pilanes cluster is a bunch of systems with small mars like planets.

Vullo seems to be an unoccupied class M planet.

Burros is too hot to be a class M planet but long range scans indicated a pre warp society is likely present there.

The Hermies' long range scanners couldn't make heads or tails of objects 231 or 232.

Upon exiting to the north the Hermies discovered the Ra'ga'los. A culture a least superficially similar to the Ferengi's mode of operation, though physically they are tall, slender, and covered in silvery hair. By stopping to trade ship components for local wares the Hermies was able to learn that they are split into twelve houses, each fielding one ship similar to a Maurader, but decked out as luxurious demonstrations of wealth for the Houses, along with a number of vastly inferior ships. They are not interested in joining the Federation at all.

However their sector is not really your focus.

Starfleets goals for your sector include:

Usher T'Eneb successfully into the federation
Protect Starfleet personel and equipment
Attempt to at least achieve alliances with the other planets and/or other races.
Explore your sector, and if possible at least perform basic exploration of neighboring sectors
Solve the pirate problem
Learn more about the powers relevant to the sector
Establishing colonies and/or aquiring valuable resources is always appreciated by Starfleet command.
Uphold the prime directive, other directives, all of that.
And of course do it all quickly, your time there is limited. Starfleet has a lot it wants to see done in the Galaxy.

OK. Next you'll need your fleet.

Again we'll just act as if DITL is purely correct about everything. In addition to the info DITL gives we need two things, the scientific capabilities of the ships and a "cost" for them. Except for ships noted as being sciences ships or something like that the science value will simply be equal to DITLs given diplomatic value. The cost of a ship in resources will be represented by a number of points equal to strength/10+mass/20,000 .

For combat the fleet with the highest total strength wins. Half the strength value of the losing side worth of ships on the winning side are destroyed. The other half of the damage done by the losing side can be spread over the rest of the winning fleet. Ships half destroyed or less are lightly damaged and after some repairs and a shield regen they're fine. Ships over half destroyed are seriously injured and will need to spend some time at a space dock (currently only T'Eneb will provide this service).

So twelve Novas have the same strength as a Sov (yell at one of the DITL guys not me if you don't like that). If they fight a 1200 strength ship to the end the Sov will just need to regenerate shields and swap in some new consoles. However two novas would be totally destroyed. (the rest just need to regen shields).

For diplomacy and science sometimes the total value of all ships in the area matters, usually the highest value present is also important, as even a thousand high school chemistry labs do not a CERN make. It may take more than one turn to achieve a result.

To give a general feeling for the values.
1-2 pretty bad. This ship isn't really mean to do that.
3 Usually good enough for general things
4 Enough for most things
5-7 Starfleet special, most other major races do not equip these high of values on their ships.
For more details you can check DITLs explanation of diplomatic values.

Warp is pretty straightforward. The sector is 20 ly across, and each box is 2 ly across. At warp 8 the sector takes a little over 7 days to cross and each box would take a little over 17 minutes. DITL has a nifty calculator for this stuff in their "calculations" section.

Since it's a bit of math I calculated the points for the "new" ships Starfleet is trying to show to new races it's meeting.

Again most of this is from DITL so don't complain to me about it. Feel free to ask questions as we go though.

You can have a fleet up to 1000pts.

Akira 302 pts
Str: 1,493
Dip: 3 sci 3
Warp 6/9.3/9.8
Special rule: Carrier, can hold 100 Peregrines (Per DITL)

Defiant Pts 173
Str:1,551
Dip: 2 sci 2
Warp 6/8.7/9.5

Galaxy(basic) pts: 348
Str 1000
Dip 7 sci 7
Warp 6/9.2/9.6
Special rule: colony ship. Normally much of a Galaxies space is for luxuries and civilian families. But I've heard occasional comments that they're modular. So these, not being used for independent long range exploration, are set up to deploy colonies. Each Galaxy can start a colony.

Galaxy Uprated, pts 392
Str 1,355
Dip 6 sci 6
Warp 6/9.2/9.9
Special rule: colony ship

Intrepid pts 94
Str: 591
Dip 3 sci 3
Warp 8/9.975/9.985

Nebula w SWAC pts 250
Str 841
Dip 7 sci 7
Warp 6/9/9.4

Nebula uprated w weapons pod pts 302
Str 1,329
Dip 7 sci 5
Warp 6/9/9.9

Norway pts 62
Str: 303
Dip 4 sci 4
Warp 6/8.4/9.7

Nova pts 32
Str 255
Dip 1 sci 4
Warp 6/7/8

Olympic pts 33
Str 124
Dip 3 sci 2(7 medical)
Warp 6/8/9
Special rule: medical ship. Does not fight, but in addition to enhanced medical science abilities it can take on large plagued populations.

Peregrine pts 53 per 10
Str 53 each
Dip/sci NA
Warp 4/4.5/5.1
Special rule: Fighter. Must be stationed on a planet/carrier/space station

Sabre pts 38
Str 217
Dip 2 sci 2
Warp 6/9.3/9.7

Shelly pts 48
Str 109
Dip 1 sci 1
Warp 6/8/8.2
Special rule: Cargo ship 4 shellies can be used to set up a colony like a galaxy.

Sovereign uprated pts 484
Str 3,084
Dip 5 sci 5
Warp 8/9.9/9.99

Steamrunner pts 70
Str 513
Dip 3 sci 3
Warp 6/8.8/9.5

So to get this rolling you should:

1. Pick your fleet, and explain your choices.
2. Say where you're deploying each ship and what they're doing. You are considered to be at the now joint starbase above T'Eneb.
3. The Hermies has provided very patchy information. Say what you're trying to find out and how (may be related to #2, the Eneb have not really explored much as mentioned earlier)
4. Comment on someone else's responses
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Should I assume that I have permission to use whatever methods I need?

If so:
OK. Next you'll need your fleet.
Galaxy Uprated, pts 392
2X Akira 302 pts
Total: 996

A good, powerful force, able to beat off any attacks on them.
And of course do it all quickly, your time there is limited. Starfleet has a lot it wants to see done in the Galaxy.
Okay, so I'm on a time limit, this could make things slightly tricky.
Usher T'Eneb successfully into the federation
Attempt to show them the 'enlightened' way of the Federation. If things are as bad on the surface as you say, then they should jump at the chance. Impress them with your high technology level, and your expertise in areas such as science and medicine. I'm guessing that these factors would eventualy bring them to join the Federation.
This will probably take a few weeks.

If not, well I am on a time limit, so:
Impress upon them the dangers of the galaxy, exagerating the dangers posed by the Klingons, Borg, Dominon, etc. Point out the need for a strong military, which they seem to have severely underpowered as they only have a TOS tech base.
This may take a few weeks, but less than the above.

If they still resist:
Orbital bombardment of one major city every hour, on the hour. Make sure there is a very audible countdown on the surface. If we run out of cities before the population insist on surrendering begin carpet bombing of rural areas, followed by the release of chemical weapons. In the likely event that they surrender before being exterminated, order the transfer of all economic, govermental, and military assets to the Federation and Starfleet.
Estimated time: About a day.
Protect Starfleet personel and equipment
Should be easy enough. The ships of this sector are inferior to Federation vessels. Inform the local races that any attacks on Starfleet personel or ships will be repaid with lethal force.
Attempt to at least achieve alliances with the other planets and/or other races.
The Eneb will join. One way or another.
Note, the above plan for getting the Eneb to join can also be applied to the Ra'ga'los.
Explore your sector, and if possible at least perform basic exploration of neighboring sectors
Easy enough. Send the Galaxy out with a complement of Peregrines, that should be enough to hold off any attacks.
Solve the pirate problem
Easy. Borrow, or 'borrow' one of the Eneb's civilian vessels. Secretly arm it with hidden Federation phaser and torpedo systems, and hey presto, you have a Q-ship that can beat off the pirate attack. Criple one of the vessels, capture the crew, and make them give up the location of the pirate base. After that, fleet battle folowed by orbital bombardment.
Learn more about the powers relevant to the sector
Easy, once the Eneb have joined, I can simply ask them for information on them.
Same with the Ra'ga'los.
Establishing colonies and/or aquiring valuable resources is always appreciated by Starfleet command.
The hell with that, I have more important things to be doing here. Although, if Starfleet is willing to supply the colony ships themselves, then I will ensure protection for these vessels.
Uphold the prime directive, other directives, all of that.
Erm, I didn't actualy notice this one before I started writing...
Ah, screw the Prime Directive. As long as you get results, Starfleet dosen't seem to mind. And if there's one thing I'm getting, its results.

Anyway, after all this is done, I deploy an Akira to each of the unidentified objects for a closer look.

As for exploration, leave that for later. There are more important things to be doing than getting one of my ships eaten by the spatial anomaly of the week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, that's not exactly keeping in line with Starfleet. But if I had ultimate authority, then that's how I'd proceed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Galaxy Uprated, pts 392
God thats funny. The person who hates the Galaxy more than anyone else I've come across chooses it. :lol:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know, but the Sovereign was too expensive.
Hmm, maybe I'll just change that to another Akira.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm not going to play but I would choose.

Sabre pts 38 ten of these
Str 217
Dip 2 sci 2
Warp 6/9.3/9.7

Defiant Pts 173 two of these
Str:1,551
Dip: 2 sci 2
Warp 6/8.7/9.5

Nebula w SWAC pts 250 one of these
Str 841
Dip 7 sci 7
Warp 6/9/9.4

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Orbital bombardment! :shock: Ok I didn't that coming. I figured the prime directive issues would be more for the pain in the but things.

Still if you want to bend/break the prime directive at least be section 31ish about it. Truely clear breaches have a way of getting junior officers and the like revolting, or Sisko comes by or something.

Also note that the Upgraded Galaxy varient you have is a colony ship. Also that Akira's don't come loaded with fighters. A full load of 100 would cost 530 points but would give you a massive total strength of 5,300 (far more than even a pair of Akiras themselves).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Orbital bombardment! Ok I didn't that coming.
Hey, you wanted results. You just didn't say how I was to get these results. :wink:
I figured the prime directive issues would be more for the pain in the but things.
I've lost count of the amount of times Starfleet personel have violated the PD without even a reprimand. So I'm guessing they're not too strict about it.
And they may not even know about it, I have the only ships in the sector under my command.
Still if you want to bend/break the prime directive at least be section 31ish about it.
How can you be subtle about orbital bombardment?
And when you give me acess to powerfull warships, with such unspecified orders as 'make them join', that's exactly how it's going to happen.
Truely clear breaches have a way of getting junior officers and the like revolting,
Yeah, crewmembers who don't follow my line of thinking would get introduced to the airlock quite quickly.
Also note that the Upgraded Galaxy varient you have is a colony ship.
Okay, cool. I must have missed that.
Also that Akira's don't come loaded with fighters. A full load of 100 would cost 530 points but would give you a massive total strength of 5,300 (far more than even a pair of Akiras themselves).
Okay then, but I'll stick with the Akiras. Simply becuse I like them.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Just play as the Terran Empire, I'll even knit you a sash!!
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pfft, at this rate I'll be starting my own empire in a month. :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A world run by Rochey... thats not one were whats down is now up, its a world where up is... jello.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know if I want to play... before I get anything done, I might have to fend off a blindside attack by Generalissimo Rochey over there!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

make Mikey play!!

Come on, a jewish guy from new jersey and an irish guy, i've thought up a thousand jokes already!
Plus Mikey is a clever chappy, as cunning as the professor of cunning at Cunningham University, in Cunnington Spa
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

An ex-girlfriend once told me I was a cunning linguist, but I didn't understand... I only spoke English to her... :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

:o
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Deepcrush would be great at this