Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

2 Olympic 33ptsx 2 = 66pts
1 Galaxy uprated 392pts
1 Akira 302pts
2 wings of Peregrines 53pts per 10, x2 = 106pts
1 Intrepid 94pts
1 Sabre 38pts

The Intrepid, Sabre and both the Olympics will begin at T'Eneb, in an attempt to impress the locals in that locale, with federation diplomacy and dissemination of certain medical technologies.
The Akira and both wings of peregrines (10x2), will head out to investigate the nearby Pilanes Cluster.
The uprated Galaxy which will attempt to establish a colony on vullo, once the area has been scanned and secured.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

All the best for the interview, sunny
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, good luck! :D
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright some discoveries I'll be PMing to people so check your messages. Also if you have special info try not to tip off everybody else.

Events

1. Everyone with a ship with Sci 3 in sectors I7 or I8 or with a sci value 1 higher for each square away (so Sci 6 or higher would be required if the ship was at T'Eneb) detects a faint ghost reading of what seems like a ship for just a couple seconds between I7 and I8.

If you don't have a ship in the right place by some chance one of you ships happens to zip over there at the right time (such as to answer a distress call from a trader or something). So you get the info too but it's a plot device use.

2. Everybody addressed impressing T'Eneb (though noted some moreso than others). And they continue to try and fast track their culture to get federation membership.

However disaster strikes. When they start shifting away from money their people at first enjoy the increase free time they have, and then the start checking their messages a bit more, maybe even a little at work. Overal productivity drops 50%. Since their society was based around not having things sitting around in warehouses and the like that 50% reduction means that they're already starting to experience shortages in everything.

If you have a ship with Diplomacy 5 OR a total diplomacy of 10 in the area your economists and sociologists pick up on the problem in time to warn them before it hits. Which doesn't prevent it, but does make you look better.

You'll need to think of something. High diplomacy values will probably make whatever you try easier.

Those if you wanting to establish joint colonies will have to sort this out first.

3. First contact with Trinar culture, who roughly look like blue ameobas with a number of eyes and other sensing floating around. They communicate via bioluminescense. They are roughly TOS era traders coming in from the "west" who also fear the pirates, but who have cloaks of their own. Very rarely a pirate will manage to attack one of their ships while cloaked however. You don't know where they come from exactly, and they aren't saying.

If you want you can just have basic contact with them, or you could make an invitation to open some kind of talks, you'd have to dedicate a ship to that on your next turn though.

4. Some Ra'ga'los traders (who travel in space caravans and aren't attacked by the pirates) say they can offer some info on the pirates. For just a little of that "quantum torpedo technology" . Since it's just information it's free to you right?

No? Really?

Well they're also interested in more mundane pieces of equipment and technology that they can make themselves, but at some expense.. They'll give you the info in trade for components. Reduce one of your ships strengths by 100 if you take this offer, due to stripped components.

5. As for the pirates Teaos, Peabody, and Judgeking manage to catch one in the act of a raid. Detecting its somewhat weak cloak with a sci 3 ship as it approaches an Eneb trader. It first tries to run at warp 9.4 however you each can catch it and then does 200 damage to the pursuing ship, which is negligable to each of you. Even if trying to capture the ship it then self destructs. But you got one. :D

The rest send a ship off at max warp when you get the distress call from the trader, but it's looted by the time you get there, being able to only offer support to the attacked ship. But from the traders sensor logs from the ship running away as you approach you also suspect its top speed.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hewer, thank you for calling me out. But first off, Rochey. You have missed the point of power. Power is not force, anyone can use force to make someone follow but thats more of a leash then anything else.

Power is never taken or forced. If one must force themselves upon another then they have no power. Power is given, it is handed over to whom ever is in control. True power comes willingly without fighting. If you use power you have to force someone to follow you then you only give yourself a new enemy that can and most likely will later on stab you in the back to get free of you. Choice is what makes power. Thats not to say the the choices involed are very good ones, but still in the end it has to be a choice.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My fleet would be as follows.

(1) Nebula uprated w weapons pod pts 302
Str 1,329
Dip 7 sci 5
Warp 6/9/9.9

(4) Defiant Pts 173
Str:1,551
Dip: 2 sci 2
Warp 6/8.7/9.5

A total of 994 points.
A total of 7533 str.

Heavy firepower that can be in many places at once. The uprated Nebula gives a sight for anyone who may doubt starfleets plans for the sector. The Defiants give my fleet moble grounds in which to stand on. Its hard to catch one cloaked ship, let alone 4 of them. Pirates would be in a lot of trouble from this since I could have a few ships just follow merchents around until one gets raided then just follow them back to their base. Blast it to hell, then come home.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote:*snip power*
I do know all that. And it is not through force which I plan to bring this sector under Federation control, that's merely a last resort.
Fear of force is a far more usefull tool, though as I said it will be as a last resort.
You'll need to think of something. High diplomacy values will probably make whatever you try easier.
Simple enough. Get the government to impose stricter laws with regards to work perfromance. Someone whose caught napping on the job gets his pay docked, if he does it repeatedly he gets fired.
If you want you can just have basic contact with them[Trinrar], or you could make an invitation to open some kind of talks, you'd have to dedicate a ship to that on your next turn though.
I send the Intrepid to open talks with them, and try to get trade agreements.
They'll give you the info in trade for components. Reduce one of your ships strengths by 100 if you take this offer, due to stripped components.
I give them the more diplomatic equivelant of the finger, and show them the door.
Also if you have special info try not to tip off everybody else.
I send the Sovereign to object 232, and bring the Defiant there to Chur'Eneb, or whatever planet the Sovereign was previously stationed around.

The Defiant at object 231 goes to Burros. More details via PM.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Okey-dokey...well, I've decided to take the offensive against the Pirates, so I'm sending a Steamrunner and a Defiant to check out the Carsho Nebula... just to check it out. If they find anything, my plan is to run like crazy, then get the fleet ready and crush them.
If I don't find anything, I'll probably check out a few other places...that Pilanes Cluster looks mighty suspicious to me... :?

But that's all for now...

Edit: I'm going to be gone over the weekend, so if I do find anything, try to save me some Pirates for when I get back...
Until then...adios! :P
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Can two fleets work together?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, based on the latest developments:

I have my Sovereign begin replicating supplies to send to T'Eneb to help with the shortages, and the Olympic to replicate medical supplies. I offer to assist overwhelmed hospitals by beaming critical patients onto the Olympic, and I offer T'Eneb replicator technology if they will formally accept Federation membership.

I politely decline the Ra'ga'los offer; I'll find and deal with the pirates myself...

I send my Defiant to negotiate trade with the Trinar, especially in regards to helping stabilize the T'Eneb situation.

I re-route my Intrepid from grid I-7 to Vullo at top speed to run detailed scans (8 minutes travel time.)

PM with more details.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: You're the Admiral! (DITL version)

Post by JudgeKing »

1x Sovereign uprated- 484
2x Intrepids-188
1x Defiant-173
4x Novas-128
989 points

1) Send an Intrepid to the Eneb system and show them the benefits of joing the Federation
2) Set up Sensor posts to find where the pirates are.
3) Capture them.
4) Have some wargames.
5) Colonize a few uninhabited M class planets.
6) Send the other Intrepid to the Trinar homeworld to make contact with them.
7) Send my Defiant to tell the Ra'ga'los that I decline their offer. Also give them the finger for their ridiculus offer.
8) Send the Nova to Grid 12A near ther Pilanes Cluster to do long range scans of the area.