Your Favourite Space Battle

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Your Favourite Space Battle

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well? What do you guys think are some of the best battles seen on Trek?

For me, number one slot goes to the Mutara Nebula battle. Sure, it's not as flashy as later battles, but there's so much more to it than just ships firing phasers and torpedoes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Your Favourite Space Battle

Post by Reliant121 »

Mutara Nebula followed closely by the Valley of Death, and then thirded by the Vulcan/Andorian battle in the Kir'shara arc.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed with Mutara Nebula, along with TOS:"BoT" for similar reasons. I also have to add the battle from TNG:"YE" because I liked the display of mettle in what was already known to be a cause in which the crew would die.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah yes, I'd actually forgotten Ballance of Terror. Another excellent one, and YE was interesting due to seeing a more militarised Fed vessel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Sacrifice of Angels and most of the fleet battles in DS9.
Most of the battles in ST were one on one, or one on a few.
For the first time, we really saw what Starfleet was made of, and I just thought it was nice to see a fight with more then just one ship in it...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I did enjoy seeing the big fleets in DS9, but it all seemed a bit Star Wars to me - ships destroyed after one volley and what not.

Mutara Nebula for me. Suspensful, and it looks gorgeous.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

I liked the big fleet battles, but like you said, the one shot, one kill nature of them was a bit annoying. I get that it was budget driven but it was annoying all the same.

That being said I am usually shocked by how badly space battles are managed in Sci-Fi.

For example the fleet battle in SW: EP3 is visually great. But it makes no sense on any level. Missiles full of droids, ships exchanging broadsides from a few hundred feet away with crew served weapons. Logically it was just a big mess of lights and explosions and no one seemed to have any real objective they were working towards.

I think the DS9 battles suffered mostly from lack of money to really flesh them out properly. They had a lot of right ideas though.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Definetly one of DS9's fleet battles, but I'm just not sure which one.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Definetly one of DS9's fleet battles, but I'm just not sure which one.
Well, since there was only one and the rest were really stock footage... ;) Ok, maybe there were two
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Battle of Khitomer, followed closely by BoT. Both "thinking" battles, with the added bonus of Kirk not requiring prompting about the existence of the third dimension.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Not wishing to restart an old debate but..

In Twok, I got the impression that Kirk was using all 3 dimensions - you saw the ship arc out to the edge of the Nebula and then fly in behind Reliant. It was more that Khan wasn't using all 3 dimensions, which allowed Kirk to predict where Reliant would attack from next, and duck underneath him.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mutara Nebula Battle, Battle of the Neutral Zone in 'Balance of Terror', the Battle of Typhon Sector in FC...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:the Battle of Typhon Sector in FC...
A battle we never saw, nor know anything about save for a bit of radio chatter. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:the Battle of Typhon Sector in FC...
A battle we never saw, nor know anything about save for a bit of radio chatter. :P
Was... the part we saw with the E-E not named that? I... thought it was. :oops:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That was the Battle of Earth. Exactly how far Earth was from the Typhon Expanse was never stated, but it was considered remote in "Cause and Effect".