Your Favourite Space Battle

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Your Favourite Space Battle

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that could certainly work. Though preferably you'd want an actual station.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I was just thinking something maybe snooker table sized - like you see in the movies with all the military strategy type people stood around (marvel at my imense knowledge on the subject). The person (people) directing the battle shouldn't also be commanding the ship at the same time.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd have it a little larger than that personally, but the idea is sound. That would provide a perfect "hub" to organize fleet command stations around, some maybe directly attatched to the tactical table, and some around the room in which it was contained.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:I'd have it a little larger than that personally, but the idea is sound. That would provide a perfect "hub" to organize fleet command stations around, some maybe directly attatched to the tactical table, and some around the room in which it was contained.
So a little like the Pool-Table found in ST:IV (and then later in the E-D's engineering) but with a 3-d display?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Original Topic: Way of the Warrior. Defiant vs. Bop and Vorcha and DS9 vs. Klingon fleet. Always loved it. I loved that part with the burning K'Tinga getting pounded by DS9. Hell, I loved the previews too, definitely put Worf into 'Hero Spotlight'.

I agree with the STIV/TNG Pool Table idea. Maybe make it a bit bigger perhaps?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Some sort of hologram projector mounted into it, too?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I'd have it a little larger than that personally, but the idea is sound. That would provide a perfect "hub" to organize fleet command stations around, some maybe directly attatched to the tactical table, and some around the room in which it was contained.
So a little like the Pool-Table found in ST:IV (and then later in the E-D's engineering) but with a 3-d display?
Sorta like that, but again much larger. Think of the war room in the Geonosian spire, seen in SW II. Something sorta like that.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Reliant121 wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Sorta like that, but again much larger. Think of the war room in the Geonosian spire, seen in SW II. Something sorta like that.
Yeah, but even an AEGIS type command center would be an upgrade at this point.

I think what you are looking at is a large room with a holo-projector in the center. Arrayed around it you need all your support staff. You should have people trained in various specialties on this staff, which would have a very large tactical/operations staff. Some people would be experts in defending points in space, others would be experts in attacking other fleet, others still would be experts and taking planets and so on. They would all be in a sort of back room handling the detailing of the orders that come from the command staff. If you have hundreds of ships you need lots of people to make sure things work right.

What I want is to have one to three people from each specialty in the main command area who are reviewing what the large staff is doing, making necessary corrects and sending onto the main command staff information they really need. They are filters so that we don't overhwelm the 3 or 4 guys actually making major decisions. Information flows in and is filtered down and flows out and is fleshed out as more people get their hands on it.

The Fleet commander can't possibly hope to handle it all. The command staff for a major fleet would likely be 100 people or more.