Shielding

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Shielding

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Okay, so we've seen a lot of different kinds of Shielding in Trek, my question is were there any shields that were designed to defend against Theta Radiation, and or Subspace anomolies?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Shielding

Post by Mikey »

Lt. Staplic wrote:were there any shields that were designed to defend against Theta Radiation
Why? AFAIK, theta radiation was used as a tool... elevated exposure seemed antithetical to T'Pol, but surely if something is used in a controlled manner, it would be easier just to limit exposure.
Lt. Staplic wrote:and or Subspace anomolies?
Anomaly just means "something we can't better name yet." I can't imagine designing a shield specific to something that could, in fact, comprise infinitely variable types of effects.

BTW, are you German?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Mikey wrote:BTW, are you German?
:? No, why?
Mikey wrote:Why?
It's for an idea I had for a plot going on over on Fed space...according to the GM's we're facing lethal amounts of Gamma and Theta radiation from a bunch of ships that just came through an anomaly that just replaced the entire Teller system.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lt. Staplic wrote:No, why?
You just seem to capitalize odd and seemingly random words during the course of your sentences.

Anyhoo, the only reference I found in our fearless Kennedys' archives to theta radiation was basically as a disinfectant used by Phlox, which seemed to be unbalancing to T'Pol in large doses.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

ah, okay...idk why I do that, but I have a heck of a time checking my papers for that :(
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Tabloid newspapers, at least the UK ones, do that a lot too.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:
It's for an idea I had for a plot going on over on Fed space...according to the GM's we're facing lethal amounts of Gamma and Theta radiation from a bunch of ships that just came through an anomaly that just replaced the entire Teller system.
I believe the "multi-phasic" shields Alice had were supposed to protect from Gamma rays from a star... but I may be wrong.

That was in VOY "Alice" for reference.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

stitch626 wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:
I believe the "multi-phasic" shields Alice had were supposed to protect from Gamma rays from a star... but I may be wrong.

That was in VOY "Alice" for reference.
thanks I thought there was something like that. Now let's just see what the almighty gm will say
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Mikey wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:No, why?
You just seem to capitalize odd and seemingly random words during the course of your sentences.

Anyhoo, the only reference I found in our fearless Kennedys' archives to theta radiation was basically as a disinfectant used by Phlox, which seemed to be unbalancing to T'Pol in large doses.
theta radiation was also some dangerous sort of radiation in VOY. In the Omega particle episode, Janeway requested theta radiation inoculation from the EMH.