Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Star Trek Series Design Project #3: Setting

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So Far we've decided:
- Series will take place 20-30 years after TNG/DS9/VOY
- The series will primarily follow the Federation, however we may have plots involved and centered around The Klingon Empire and/or the Romulan Empire

This week we decide our primary setting:

Starbase: Similar to DS9, our protagonists operate from a Starbase somewhere in Federation Space
Command Facilities: Our protagonists would be working on a planetary command center operating fleets
Academy: Our protagonists could be students or teachers at Starfleet Academy
Warships: Again similar to DS9, Our protagonists would be on a Defiant-like ship designed for battle
Exploration Craft: Similar to other Star Trek shows with exploratory craft being the main setting
Other: You tell me on this one

Poll will run for eight days
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Trek Series Design Project #3: Setting

Post by BigJKU316 »

I would like to see whatever setting it is involve people in the Federation higher up than captains as more than the occasional corrupt bad guy. Ross is really the only admiral we have seen who is not either an empty suit, bad guy or total ass for the Feds. I don't really think it has to be set in any one place. But I would like to see it involve command staff on a ship for the most part.

I also would really like to see more of the political structure of the Federation at work. We know more about the Klingons and Cardassian governments than we do the Federation really.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd say a Federation command station. You get to use any of the ships in the fleet as "proxy setting" for a particular plot, and you'll get a good look at the command chain made up in SFC. There were a series of three books I read: Harbinger, Summon The Thunder and Reap The Whirlwind. These books were set around a huge starbase in TOS times, but involved the stories of the Starship Endeavour and the starship[/i]Sagittarius[/i] (IIRC) as well as few other smaller characters here or there. it was a fantastically good read.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Warship.

We've done a starbase show before, we've done several exploration ship shows, lets do something we haven't done. To me a command facility is going to come off much as a starbase show, and frankly I don't think watching a bunch of admirals do their thing will interest people. No academy show, ever. I cannot conceptualize an academy type show that doesn't turn into 90210 or get utterly ridiculous ala Trek XI. I'd be all for green women in tiny bikinis on a beach but its not worth the rest of the crap.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

How about a group outside of Starfleet existing in the UPF? Maybe ex-officers and castoffs that band together for a larger purpose and do things 'on the frontier'. I'm envisioning a Firefly type crew that is trying to uncover a star spanning SPECTER type organization (aka old James Bond) that has their hands in Section 31, Tal-Shiar, and other covert organizations within the other major races. Maybe even like 'V', where only a few know 'the Truth' and try to expose them?
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

we've already done the division, with Federation winning my majority vote.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

perhaps a science crew sitting around on a random phenomenon at a border region to which all three powers border or lay claims on. People will follow the news on that science team, side arcs can be made by forays in all three factions. Also it gives a nice mix of Federation citizens and Starfleet operatives and perhaps some aliens from both RSE and/or KE.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

shran wrote:perhaps a science crew sitting around on a random phenomenon at a border region to which all three powers border or lay claims on. People will follow the news on that science team, side arcs can be made by forays in all three factions. Also it gives a nice mix of Federation citizens and Starfleet operatives and perhaps some aliens from both RSE and/or KE.
Interesting. In addition to international competition, there could be internecine conflict as well; S31 or SF factions want to co-opt the research for militaristic purposes, for example.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Following an S31 team, perhaps hiding undercover. It would allow for much darker missions, as well as alot of character moral dilemmas.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, 24 meets Star Trek, meets The Unit. That could be awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Why not? We've watched the shining and stalwart examples of humaninty do there duty, and but with the exception of Sisko, nobody was willing to do the dirty work. Somebody has too :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

this poll is about to close, so #4 has opened up.