Galaxy Class color changes?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
robjkay
Senior chief petty officer

Galaxy Class color changes?

Post by robjkay »

There was a picture shown of two Galaxy Classes shown to where there was a change in the color of the ship. Was wondering if this could be because of Ablative Armour added?

What does every think? Notice the neck and the spine leading to the rear torpedo tube.

Last edited by robjkay on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Looks more like its just a shadow to me. I don't think any Galaxy class starships were refitted with ablative armour.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Could be a shadow or perhaps some indication of a minor variant...
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
robjkay

Post by robjkay »

Dont think its a shadow being the color change is so specific and or is limited to the neck and spine.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

what epi,is that pic, from?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But then that would mean they only armoured that one, specific location. What would be the purpose in that? If it was the front of the ship, I might agree with you, but there is no advantage to armouring that location.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Could it be markings, like unit, fleet, yard of origin?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Granitehewer wrote:what epi,is that pic, from?
Favour the Bold, I think, when Sisko's combined fleet was preparing to attack Terok Nor.

As for the colour, I'm not sure what it's meant to signify, but it's possible that it indicates a refit to remove separation capability from War-Standard Galaxies, to remove the shear plane the separation surface represents and improve hull strength.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

seafort, i didn't notice that variation before, but you probably have, as are alot more astute than me, have you seen it with any other vessels?
Ps i'll get on watching 'favor the Bold', thanks
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

It could be a modification in the batch 2 Galaxy-class. Perhaps they reinforced that section or something. I doubt it's true armor though.

It could be that they ran out of the gray paint and painted the necks black instead.

Or it could just be a weird shadow. Lighting in space can create some interesting shadows and illusions, if you don't believe me look at wikipedia's article about the supposed moon hoax. A lot of hoax arguments are based on a lack of understanding of space lighting.
robjkay

Post by robjkay »

Here are more pictures where there is a slight difference but nothing to the extent of the last picture.

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Am I the only one not seeing a difference?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Am I the only one not seeing a difference?
In which one - the first image or the seond two?

In the first image, the darker hull is on the neck, and the primary hull aft of the shuttlebay. In the seond two its on the underside of the primary hull and neck, up to the separation contour.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

It was the second pic. Maybe Challenger was part of the second batch or went though a refit that resulted in the different contours. That was in an alternate future so we can't deny the possibility of a refit on that one.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pic one: That's just a shadow caused by the saucer.

Pic two: That just looks more like an indentation in the saucer section, you can see a groove in it.