Galaxy Class color changes?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:If it was ablative armor why wouldn't they cover the whole ship?
It's possible their manufacturing capacity is limited relative to the size of the fleet, and they decided it was better to cover critical areas of all ships than to provide comprehensive coverage of just a few. Why they failed to armour the engineer hull is anyones guess. This is, of course, assuming that the darker hull is in fact armour.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Makes you wonder why they didn't arnour the nacelles. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe that would ruin the warp field dynamics.

No one else does it so it would seem there is a reason not to.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Klingons seem to, as do the Cardassians. So long as the armour doesn't cover the glowy bit I don't see any problem.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No one else does it? :?
I don't see other races with such major weakpoints out in the open.

And I think I'd rather have a slower ship, than one which gets destroyed by a small knock.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

But if your ship is fast then it won't get hit :lol:

But a lot of races do seem to cover their engines. A lot of Voyager's ship of the week encounters, Kazon ships, Hirogen hunters, Malon garbage scows, the Klingon BoP and D7, the Scimitar, and I think the Sona. That's just off the top of my head.

Although they really should armor the bridge. We may have only three times when it's suffered a direct hit but that's still the one of the most important parts of the ship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:But if your ship is fast then it won't get hit :lol:

That was the theory behind the battlecruiser - Indefatigable, Queen Mary, Invincible and Hood proved that it was a bad one.
But a lot of races do seem to cover their engines. A lot of Voyager's ship of the week encounters, Kazon ships, Hirogen hunters, Malon garbage scows, the Klingon BoP and D7, the Scimitar, and I think the Sona. That's just off the top of my head.

True, it does seem that most species are vaguely intelligent. It's just th Feds, Romulans and Jem'Hadar who aren't so good.
Although they really should armor the bridge. We may have only three times when it's suffered a direct hit but that's still the one of the most important parts of the ship.

They could do with taking a leaf out of nBSG's book at but the damn thing in the middle of the ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

While you are dead on on so many different points, Seafort, I have to say as meaningless trivia that the Hood dealt some pretty sizeable damage in her day...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

When - she fought two battles. The first was bombarding an unprepared fleet at anchor, and the second she was blown up without doing any damage. Sure the eight-barrel 15-inch settup was the most sucessful in the RN's history, but that sucess was with the QEs, not Hood.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I beg your pardon - it was late when I wrote that, and my fingertips were unfrotunately not connected to my brain. I was, of course, referring to elelments of the design - my refernece to the ship in particular was incorrect.

I guess I should know better than to contradict you,, eh?
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

People learn fast here not to disagree with Seafort... he comes back at you with a dozen quotes proving your wrong then curb stomps you.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's a combination of two factors - firstly I don't argue a point unless I've checked my sources and can back up my arguments with evidence, and second I've got a great memory for military and sci-fi trivia. AS for the quotes, it's just a matter of knowing where to find them - Star Trek Minutiae and TrekCore have got the scripts for all episodes of TNG and DS9, and a few Voyager ones, so once you know which episode a particular piece of evidence is in it's fairly straightforward to find the quote.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think maybe you should have just kept up the aura of near-omiscience (and wrathful vengeance on the unbelievers... :twisted: )
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

but his honesty means that being a 'seafort' is now something acheivable and no longer the stuff of awe,
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah, but the demigod is now a mere mortal...
as Bull offed Custer