Galaxy Class color changes?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Pic one: That's just a shadow caused by the saucer.
Are you sure? The edge looks a bit too clearly defined for it to be just a shadow.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*

It looks like a shadow to me, the picture is a bit hard to tell from.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

After looking at the second set, I think I have to agree with Seafort. Looks like a mmodification - possibly removal - of the separation seam.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Rochey wrote:Pic one: That's just a shadow caused by the saucer.
Are you sure? The edge looks a bit too clearly defined for it to be just a shadow.
Well, in space there's no air to create the haze effect that creates less defined shadows like on earth. A shadow in space would be much more defined then in air.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, in space there's no air to create the haze effect that creates less defined shadows like on earth. A shadow in space would be much more defined then in air.
Very true. However, the demarcation exists on the left of the picture (OUR left) where there is no shadow; in addition, the line follows exactly the seam where saucer separation would take place - a little too exactly for coincidence, I think.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:
Very true. However, the demarcation exists on the left of the picture (OUR left) where there is no shadow; in addition, the line follows exactly the seam where saucer separation would take place - a little too exactly for coincidence, I think.
True, or there could be a shadow from the nacelles on the ship below, assuming there's another Galaxy off screen creating an identicle shadow...okay that may be pushing it. Even for Star Trek.

Probably a way to reinforce the structure so that the hull is stronger, compensating for the weaknesses created by Saucer Seperation. That makes more sense. Wait, that might be pushing it for Trek as well. :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well it looks like ablative armor to me. Which makes sense. Galaxys are as expencive as hell to build so you want to protect them. They lost the Odyessy so they want to protect what they have left.

The color is right as well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But why would they only armor those particular, hard-to-target areas?

Oh wait. I forgot. It IS Starfleet, after all.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe there is vital internal components there.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The critical things about the area in question are that 1) it's the neck - blast through that and half the ship loses the warp core's power, and 2) it's the saucer separation plane. Because of that there's an inherent weakness in the ship's design.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Of course, if it was designed inteligently there would be no need for armouring such a hard to reach location.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Of course, if it was designed inteligently there would be no need for armouring such a hard to reach location.
It's not that hard to reach. Certainly the dark areas shown in the first picture is pretty easy to hit from above and aft. On the two lower images it's a lot less clear whether that's a difference in hull colour, or simply shadow, but it's still hittable from below and in front.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

If it was ablative armor why wouldn't they cover the whole ship?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not enough resorses. They can only cover parts of a each ship so they do they bits they think need it the most.