Spacedock Idea

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Spacedock Idea

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I was perusing Memory Alpha last night (when I should've been studying...o well..) and was reading the Spacedock entry and had a thought about how various larger ships can get in. I know people mention the fact that the Connie and Excelsior barely fit through the doors so therefore how could larger ships enter/egress. Is it possible that the Spacedock/Starbase has more than one "Gate" and they're of varying widths?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Spacedock Idea

Post by Tyyr »

Given the size of the facility it'd be quite strange for their to only be a single entrance/exit. I'd imagine it would have several. The issue isn't that, it's that why would Starfleet build a facility like that with doors so much larger than anything in the fleet at the time?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Given the size of the facility it'd be quite strange for their to only be a single entrance/exit. I'd imagine it would have several. The issue isn't that, it's that why would Starfleet build a facility like that with doors so much larger than anything in the fleet at the time?
Starfleet thought ahead and realized they will probably increase their ship sizes so rather than have to rebuild from scratch, they built the facility with future expansion in mind, much like the GCS I'd say?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right. It's ridiculous to think that the movie-era Spacedock would accomodate the larger TNG-era ships... but to say that the latest ships of its time "barely" fit means that there was very little thought of forward compatibility put into the design.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well look at how its done in modern days. It's rare to see a facility designed to accommodate that kind of growth. The GCS is triple the Connie's beam and double it's height. You just don't spend the money to accommodate that kind of thing, it's wasteful. You tell the guy a century down the road to build his own space dock.

Now as for the Connie/Excelsior. The Excelsior is about 50% greater beam and 33% greater height. Assuming that Spacedock is a TOS era facility that's pretty good room for growth designed into it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:It's rare to see a facility designed to accommodate that kind of growth.
Aye, but does any modern day drydock represent the same drain of resources and finances that Spacedock must surely have?

If you're going to build something like that, you don't want to find out in just 20 years that the design no longer works and you need to build a new one. Best to just say "make the doors twice as wide as they need to be" and get another couple of decades worth of service out of it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

We don't know what it costs the Federation to build a Spacedock. On top of that the more it costs to build the greater the pressure to reduce costs. Sure you can argue that you can stretch its life a bit longer but right now the bean counters will be looking at the price tag of the space dock as a whole then looking at what its going to cost to dramatically inflate the size of the openings beyond anything in the fleet now or the foreseeable near term and your supersized doors are going to be on the chopping block first.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:We don't know what it costs the Federation to build a Spacedock. On top of that the more it costs to build the greater the pressure to reduce costs. Sure you can argue that you can stretch its life a bit longer but right now the bean counters will be looking at the price tag of the space dock as a whole then looking at what its going to cost to dramatically inflate the size of the openings beyond anything in the fleet now or the foreseeable near term and your supersized doors are going to be on the chopping block first.
I think by far the most realistic solution would be to add external docking ports or arms on the underside of the saucer of Spacedock rather than expand the entrance at all. Your new purpose built docks can do major overhauls but there is no reason you could not run fuel and supplies through a docking port and do a good amount of work on a bigger ship that way.

Much cheaper than putting in a bigger entrance either after the fact or when you build it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You probably have a point, Tyyr. I just find it odd that someone would design a massive station which they must know may need replacing - or at the least a massive refit - in just a few decades.

BigJ' is right, though. Some docking arms would make infinitely more sense than an enclosed area.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I was going to say the doors are fairly ridiculous myself. Far simpler and cheaper to just have a big hold in the side of it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Anyone here thought that maybe they just enlarged the doors at some point? Seems simple enough to me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Was just coming to post the same thing. Unless its a solid structure (doubtful considering its size), surely they can remove the outer panels and install bigger doors.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sionnach Glic wrote:You probably have a point, Tyyr. I just find it odd that someone would design a massive station which they must know may need replacing - or at the least a massive refit - in just a few decades.

BigJ' is right, though. Some docking arms would make infinitely more sense than an enclosed area.
The Panama Canal is the same size it's been for a good long while. Naval vessels are still designed with transit through it in mind. It's been in use for almost a century, frankly I would expect SF to design it's ships within the constraints of it's dock doors or use arms rather then design a whole new station.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Deepcrush wrote:Anyone here thought that maybe they just enlarged the doors at some point? Seems simple enough to me.
My thoughts exactly.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:You probably have a point, Tyyr. I just find it odd that someone would design a massive station which they must know may need replacing - or at the least a massive refit - in just a few decades.

The Panama Canal is the same size it's been for a good long while. Naval vessels are still designed with transit through it in mind. It's been in use for almost a century, frankly I would expect SF to design it's ships within the constraints of it's dock doors or use arms rather then design a whole new station.
Not entierly true. By the end of WWII several ships existed that could not use the Panama Canal in the form of the Midway Class carriers and the proposed Montana Class Battleships. You could just cram an Iowa in there. None of the carriers built since can fit in the locks and they have to go around.

I would expect there is some advantage in having the ships in an interior environment for work being done or you would not build such a thing you would just build something on which all the ships can dock externally. Once you accept that as fact then you have to conclude at some point they would build a new station to handle the new ships they project putting in service. That either means a bigger station or bigger doors.

You can do without the Canal, you can't build a ship without having a drydock in which to service the thing.