the Federation Galaxy

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: the Federation Galaxy

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The whole point of saying British Armor matched the Germans is just a joke.
We could sort of match them towards the end, after the Comet was introduced, and the Cent would have had even a Tiger for breakfast, but claiming any widely used allied tank could match a Panther or Tiger is indeed stupidity.
The only country who matched the Germans in the Medium Tank were the Russians with the T34.
If by "matched the Germans" you mean "ripped them a new arsehole", I agree.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:We could sort of match them towards the end, after the Comet was introduced, and the Cent would have had even a Tiger for breakfast, but claiming any widely used allied tank could match a Panther or Tiger is indeed stupidity.
Sort of doesn't really count though. IIRC, there were statements on here how someone so easily surpassed the Germans. :lol:
Captain Seafort wrote:If by "matched the Germans" you mean "ripped them a new arsehole", I agree.
What have I told you about taking quotes about of context!!!!!!

What I meant was "they fraked them six ways to sunday like a drunken prom slut!"
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Sort of doesn't really count though. IIRC, there were statements on here how someone so easily surpassed the Germans. :lol:
Early German tanks were indeed surpassed by French and British tanks - their later kit was another matter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Early German tanks were indeed surpassed by French and British tanks - their later kit was another matter.
I know the french had more tanks, but as far as I remember. Their tanks weren't a one on one match for the Germans.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I know the french had more tanks, but as far as I remember. Their tanks weren't a one on one match for the Germans.
They were a one-on-lots match for the Germans - the Char B1 could punch holes in any German tank, and was immune to any standard German anti-tank gun. They had to bring in Stukas and 88s to deal with them. The Matilda's gun wasn't as powerful, but it too was immune to standard A/T weapons.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ah, I stand corrected then.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's a common mistake - "the Germans won, therefore they must have had more and better kit". Sometimes you get talk about the Germans having 75mm guns, neglecting the fact that the Pz-III and IV's short-75 wasn't really intended as an A/T weapon.The Germans were outnumbered and outgunned, but they used their armour much better, as concentrated formations rather than as penny-packets, and never intended them to be used as A/T platforms - that was the job of infantry, artillery and air power.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wasn't so much as that, but I forgot the French had a few good medium tanks. Most of what I ever see is them and their light armor which could be taken out by near anything.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

BigJKU316 wrote:I mean this is a society that acheived FTL travel what, 3 or 4 thousand years ago or more?
We know the Dominion was founded at least 2000 years ago but that doesn't mean they have FTL 3 or 4 thousand years ago or more.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

SomosFuga wrote:
BigJKU316 wrote:I mean this is a society that acheived FTL travel what, 3 or 4 thousand years ago or more?
We know the Dominion was founded at least 2000 years ago but that doesn't mean they have FTL 3 or 4 thousand years ago or more.
Well their story is we went out to explore the galaxy in peace, then people were mean to us so we don't trust solids. My assumption is if they were exploring other systems they had FTL travel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You're dodging the point.

Just because they had FTL at some point, doesn't mean they've always had it. The Dominion was found 2000 years ago, however that tells us nothing of when they developed FTL tech.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Funny that the 2,000 years ago date doesn't jibe with the female Founder's comment in "What You Leave Behind".

Have we ever tried to reconcile that?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I understand it, one of the chief German issues was that they struggled to standardise their kit. They had a bewildering array of vehicles and weapons, none of it compatible, all requiring their own logistics train. A lot of their gear was captured enemy stuff too, which made things even worse. For instance in artillery one quote I came across said :
Different sizes of heavy artillery for the same role such as the 149mm, 150mm, 152mm, 155mm... heavier guns in 170mm, 203mm, 210mm, 220mm, 240mm from at least 4 different nations. For light artillery they had the 75mm (German, French, Italian, Dutch), 76.2mm (Russian), 76.5mm (Czech), 100mm (Czech), 105mm (German, French) for well over a dozen different types of guns from different nations.

The "standard" German medium mortar was 81mm but in reality they had to put scores of 82mm mortars in service they took from Russia. They also had 45mm (Italian), 50mm (Russian and German), 81mm (French/German), 82mm, 107mm (Russian), 120mm (Russian/French) mortars from different nations.
You can imagine the truly horrible logistics issues that kind of thing must have created.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Deepcrush wrote:You're dodging the point.

Just because they had FTL at some point, doesn't mean they've always had it. The Dominion was found 2000 years ago, however that tells us nothing of when they developed FTL tech.
Yes, i.e. after some time wandering peacefully through the space they may have been driven back to their homeworld and bombarded back to the stone age by solids and then (at least 2000 years ago) the survivors founded the Dominion. Having lost the infrastructure and technology may have taken a thousand years to develop FTL again.

Of course, all the history we know about the Dominion is the founders's version so could be a big fat lie.

Also we have to remember that the changelings are ageless acording to themselves (even if this is an exaggeration we know they can live at least several hundred years) so a sublight travel is not that hard to believe.
Last edited by SomosFuga on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Funny that the 2,000 years ago date doesn't jibe with the female Founder's comment in "What You Leave Behind".

Have we ever tried to reconcile that?
What comment?