The next Group Design Project

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The next Group Design Project

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:I dunno. At that point I'd be hard to maintain any of the current Star Trek asethetic by anything but fiat.
Two questions:

1) Why

and

2) Why would you want to? It's intended to be a new series, not merely "Generic TNG-era Trek #4". One of the main reasons Voyager failed was because they were trying to carry on where TNG left off, while part of the reason DS9 succeeded because they changed things about it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

1) Because to still have two nacelles and a saucer/secondary hull is the aesthetic people are used to in Trek. We've seen a pretty rapid advance in design in just the last 30 years of in universe time. Add a couple centuries and its hard to imagine Trek ships looking trek.

2) Voyager didn't bomb because it stayed in TNG's time period. It bombed because it had a great concept but pissed it away and did a TNG style episodic show. If you shift the time period and do an episodic show it'll still smack of TNG (eg. Enterprise). It's about doing something different with the franchise more than its about kicking it to a different time period.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

alright, don't get ahead of me here....looks like I was thinking along the same path as you guys...I'll get the first thread set up when I get home.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Because to still have two nacelles and a saucer/secondary hull is the aesthetic people are used to in Trek. We've seen a pretty rapid advance in design in just the last 30 years of in universe time. Add a couple centuries and its hard to imagine Trek ships looking trek.
Why? Compare the E-nil, E-D, E-E, Voyager, Prometheus, etc. They are all fundamentally the same design.
Voyager didn't bomb because it stayed in TNG's time period. It bombed because it had a great concept but pissed it away and did a TNG style episodic show. If you shift the time period and do an episodic show it'll still smack of TNG (eg. Enterprise). It's about doing something different with the franchise more than its about kicking it to a different time period.
I agree that it isn't about the time period, but about the concept and what you do with it. However, the more you change the time period, the more options you have to change the concept.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Thread moved to B/G/G, since it's still Trek.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:I want someone from Force Recon as Chief of Security.

Gunny Highway, maybe?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:I want someone from Force Recon as Chief of Security.

Gunny Highway, maybe?
Oorah!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I'd 3rd (or 4th, 5th, whatever it's at) setting things about 30-50 years ahead. It's enough time for the general state of the quadrant to have changed however we need it to, without getting so far out as to be entirely unrecognizable and unconnected from the current setting.

I also 2nd the Orion.

What would be the goal of this ship?
What kind of crew, heavy mixed or a few main species with that one or two outsider speices?
What should the first season story arc be about? (obviously tied into whatever the ship's mission goal is)
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Oh and also, to what point are we driving with this? Is it going to be merely a thought exercise, see what we come up with? Or do we wish to use it for an RP or the basis for some fics?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Depending on how well it goes. I wouldn't mind seeing an RP out of it.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

If this is an RP to be, then I guess we'd better start claiming some ship positions, huh?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We should all be captains of our own ships. Avoid the annoying aboard ship troubles.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

your getting way ahead of the game....lol

I've got the first thread up now....we'll see how it goes, as for now, consider it a thought expirament.

Also I'll announce now that for the main characters, I had planned on having everyone come up with one or two really detailed characters then we can vote on who becomes captain, commander, ect.

If you want to start thinking about your character now, I'll post the template to fill out later.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Deepcrush wrote:Depending on how well it goes. I wouldn't mind seeing an RP out of it.
Hence the above.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:Depending on how well it goes. I wouldn't mind seeing an RP out of it.
I believe it's called "Daystrom RPG" [/shameless plug]
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."