Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Trek Books, Games and General chat

Should SF security be a policing force or bringers of flaming death?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm

SWAT/police
78%
Marines/SOF/commandos
22%

Total votes: 18
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Post by Sionnach Glic »

ecurity beSo, a recent thread in the STXI forum TR-116'ed into a discussion on personal weapons. Thus I figured we may as well have a thread where we can discuss what would be the best equipment loadout for Starfleet's security force.

One thing to keep in mind is that we're discussing ship security, not the UFP's hypothetical army. Thus you'd need a damn good reason if you want to start talking tanks. Of course, given how often Starfleet personel go on away missions, vehicles may very well be useful.

So, what do you equip your guards with?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Post by Aaron »

Shotguns, flashbangs, frags (for emergencies), phaser pistol (with stun for taking prisoners), some BA and some sort of LBE, tricorder and a proper radio (with headset).
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

A phaser pistol, a simple slug thrower (think M1911A1), flashbangs, a tricorder, handcuffs, stun grenades, a more robust comms device, and body armor. I like the shotgun idea.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Will second the call for shotguns, phase pistols (those TNG paint strippers cannot be easy to aim) and proper radios.

I'd also throw in a couple of snipers amongst the bunch.

Also, hand to hand combat - I know its for plot reasons, but it seems that minor characters will get punched or thrown across the room with ease, whilst major characters are able to take on even the Klingons, even when using their own weapons. Starfleet training seems to be superior to the other races, any group of Security officers should be able to take on an enemy.
Last edited by kostmayer on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:Will second the call for shotguns, phase pistols (those TNG paint strippers cannot be easy to aim) and proper radios.

Sniping is going to be pretty useless for on board security. The largest space we've seen on a ship is probably the shuttle bay, a space which doesn't appear to be much longer then 100m or so.

Maybe a assault/battle rifle or a rifled shotgun would be handy but a full on large calibre rifle with a scope would likely just sit in the weapons vault.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Will second the call for shotguns, phase pistols (those TNG paint strippers cannot be easy to aim) and proper radios.

Sniping is going to be pretty useless for on board security. The largest space we've seen on a ship is probably the shuttle bay, a space which doesn't appear to be much longer then 100m or so.

Maybe a assault/battle rifle or a rifled shotgun would be handy but a full on large calibre rifle with a scope would likely just sit in the weapons vault.
Aye, I was thinking more of an updated Maco Rifle, with the extended barrel and proper scope, as opposed to a full on long range rifle.

Starfleet may not life slug throwers for general use, but given the Borg threat you think they'd have started to keep a few on board - one locker full of rifles might have held of the Borg for a good while in First Contact (not wanting to spark off the Borgs Kinetic shields debate again).
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

That looks more like a red-dot or a sight designed for infantry ranges (ala the Elcan).

The appeal of slug throwers (aside from personal nostalgia) is that they will work in any environment. Energy weapons are cool but they seem to fail a lot in the show. That "dampening field" BS won't fly with a simple explosion. Or it shouldn't unless those fields are really wacky.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

My thoughts.

Armament:
While on board the ship, shotguns and sub-machine gun style weapons, all slug-throwers. I'd have a crate or two of proper assault rifles lying around for away missions (in which case you'd probably need something with a bit of range to it) as well. I'd have a (properly designed) phaser pistol for backup, which would primarily be used for their stun feature.
Aside from that, some frag grenades and flashbangs (or some other sort of stunning grenade type weapon) in case of serious problems. And give them a bloody knife as well, given the amount of hand to hand combat we see.

Defence:
Some sort of body armour would be smart. As would a helmet. Even if it's not going to completely stop a phaser beam, it may well mean the difference between a serious wound and death, in which case it's just demonstrated its value.
Some sort of portable barricade may be a good idea, too. It'd allow them to fortify an area quickly if shit really hit the fan. Set up a waist-high sheet of metal in one end of a coridor, sit two guys with SMGs behind it, and you've basically turned the end of the coridor coridor into a bunker. This'd be particularly helpful if the coridor was sufficiently long that the barricade was beyond grenade-throwing distance.

Misc:
Give them a communications device that isn't going to break when you fall over, and have it mounted in the helmet (or maybe just on some sort of headset).
A scanning device of some sort would also be very handy. It wouldn't need to be as elabourate as a standard tricorder - just something capable of detecting how many people are in the area, where they are relative to you and whether they're armed or not. Hell, if you want to get really fancy you could give the helmet a visor and have such a system displayed in a sort of radar-like manner, with a dot representing you in the centre and a bunch of other dots representing the people around you. Get even fancier and you could have the dots colour coded.
Give them a gas mask. Admittedly, we see gas used once in a blue moon, but it'd still be handy to have. Hell, build it into the helmet if you want.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:The appeal of slug throwers (aside from personal nostalgia) is that they will work in any environment. Energy weapons are cool but they seem to fail a lot in the show. That "dampening field" BS won't fly with a simple explosion. Or it shouldn't unless those fields are really wacky.
Still, I think firearms should be held in reserve in case phasers are ineffective for whatever reason (be that funny rock, body armour, etc) - a stun setting is too useful a tool to be simply thrown aside, especially as their side effects seemed to be limited to contact shots and repeated use.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, they're a useful tool. Hence why I've kept them as a side-arm.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Still, I think firearms should be held in reserve in case phasers are ineffective for whatever reason (be that funny rock, body armour, etc) - a stun setting is too useful a tool to be simply thrown aside, especially as their side effects seemed to be limited to contact shots and repeated use.
That's why I added a phaser pistol. ;) Any of the above could honestly be handled by an M203 style weapon with various grenades.

For Rochey: a riot style shield might be a good idea for your barricade. Cut down on the top of one side so the guys behind them can fire over them if they kneel down.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Captain Seafort wrote:Still, I think firearms should be held in reserve in case phasers are ineffective for whatever reason (be that funny rock, body armour, etc) - a stun setting is too useful a tool to be simply thrown aside, especially as their side effects seemed to be limited to contact shots and repeated use.
Perhaps a trusty old 1911 as has already been suggested, they've been in use for close to a century already, whats another 3 or 4. I have to wonder what effect a 9mm slug would have against a Klingon - I reckon you'd have to go for a head shot to be sure of stopping one.

No one else think a martial art would be a helpful addition then? We've seen how often Security gets owned in a fist fight. The discipline training and the improved physical fitness would be a huge benefit too.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

M1911A1? I agree that there are benefits to a slugthrower, but in the 24th century I think we could probably upgrade to a SA/DA or a true DA pistol.
kostmayer wrote:I have to wonder what effect a 9mm slug would have against a Klingon
As far as caliber, I'd stick closer to the M1911 suggestion - a 9mm pistol round isn't guaranteed to put down a typical human, much less an angry Klingon. Slow, high-cavitation rounds would be the way to go. However, I agree with Seafort - we're taclking about security, not the prosecution of offensive action. Solid projectile weaponry should be the alternative, not the primary option. There had been rumors BTS during TNG of a "riot gun" or directed-energy scatter gun. That, to me, would be the perfect primary armament for security details, with more lethal weaponry being distributed as in modern squads.

Other kit: light armor; helmets with tricorders and PADDs displayed on an HUD, along with vision enhancement and severe-duty comms; stun guns (or the 24th-century equivalent,) and medkits.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mikey wrote:As far as caliber, I'd stick closer to the M1911 suggestion - a 9mm pistol round isn't guaranteed to put down a typical human, much less an angry Klingon.
Well, Starfleet Security tested the effects of Phasers out on Odo - maybe they could persuade Worf to stand against a wall and take a few for the team.

Howabout some sorf of Sonic grenade - the weapon Dr Crusher improvised out of Geordies visor in Starship Mine seemed pretty effective. Might be quicker and safer in a hostage situation then gas - even if it doesn't render the targets unconcious straight away, the natural reaction is to cover your ears, pretty much rendering you incapable of shooting or fighting back.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I'd say start mass producing the TR-116. Why did they chose to shelve it again?
kostmayer wrote: Howabout some sorf of Sonic grenade - the weapon Dr Crusher improvised out of Geordies visor in Starship Mine seemed pretty effective. Might be quicker and safer in a hostage situation then gas - even if it doesn't render the targets unconcious straight away, the natural reaction is to cover your ears, pretty much rendering you incapable of shooting or fighting back.
Now, if those misfire, is that a "sonic glitch"? :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."