Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Trek Books, Games and General chat

Should SF security be a policing force or bringers of flaming death?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm

SWAT/police
78%
Marines/SOF/commandos
22%

Total votes: 18
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:They do have their own materiel, ranks, and field command; but they are part of the navy as far as general staff, etc.
Before and during WWII they were probably more integrated into the Navy and really were not a part of anything like the Joint Chiefs of Staff until a time after that (mid 70's). I would now call them very nearly an independent service.

I agree with the vote that Security is a different job, almost like MP's or something.

That being said I will quote Admiral Porter during the civil war.

"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons."

Simply put, no organization that draws its heritage so heavily from the United States Navy and the Royal Navy would ever, ever put ships in service without Marines. Starfleet badly needs Marines because such people were even more valuable in the 1600-1800's when ships were not where they could just call up amphibious troops one a week or two's notice. But that is another discussion.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Here's my outlook......

You have a small team of criminal investigators (ie Starfleets NCIS) to focus on those crimes that DO pop up from time to time on ships, stations, and planets. I'd say one for every couple hundred people on board (so a standard GCS would have a team of four to five) an active starship, while on a facility with a non starfleet dependant civillian populace that number would change to maybe one per hundred (so you'd have a squad on a DS9 like station)

You have Security GUARDS to do just that....guard things (the ship, dignitaries, prisoners, officers on away teams and so forth) which makes up the bulk of security, maybe about 80%

Then you have your Advanced Tactical Officers which are the "SF"s of security....for off planet rescue mission, special ops, and actual aggressive COMBAT (ie Marine Force Recon/Army Green Berets or Airborne Rangers/Navy SEALs

Then a SEPERATE and generic force for ground combat only to be deployed as needed. After all there is no sense in carrying a company of soldiers around in a galaxy exploration ship for no reason.
Last edited by Mark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: legibility
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, the vote seems pretty clear. Security will be based on a modern Police force with the heavy arm factor being supported by personnel trained as SWAT.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu