Is it canon....

Trek Books, Games and General chat
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Is it canon....

Post by stitch626 »

Are subtitles and closed captioning canon?

The reason I ask is because I was watching the episode that mentioned "cetacean ops" (yes, thats how the captioning spelled it) and remembered our debate (one of many) on whales on ships.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Is it canon....

Post by Lazar »

stitch626 wrote:The reason I ask is because I was watching the episode that mentioned "cetacean ops" (yes, thats how the captioning spelled it) and remembered our debate (one of many) on whales on ships.
You mean the suggestion that maybe it was another word that sounded like "cetacean"? I don't think we need CC to establish what the word is - there was the Cetacean Institute from TVH, and there are a number supplementary TNG sources which, while not canon, make it clear that "cetacean" was indeed the intended word.

As for whether subtitles and CC are themselves canon, I'd lean toward no.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Subtitles would be, Closed captioning is not. Difference between them being that subtitles are made and released by the writers, it is basically a shortened script version, Closed captioning is an external company making the words to match what is heard, usually by a computer, which means they can be very often wrong.

That's how I see it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

OK. The other reason I ask is because in the TMP movies, the Klingon language was subtitled.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

...whoops, I wasn't thinking. Yeah, I think subtitles would be canon, but not CC.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Lazar wrote:
stitch626 wrote:The reason I ask is because I was watching the episode that mentioned "cetacean ops" (yes, thats how the captioning spelled it) and remembered our debate (one of many) on whales on ships.
You mean the suggestion that maybe it was another word that sounded like "cetacean"? I don't think we need CC to establish what the word is - there was the Cetacean Institute from TVH, and there are a number supplementary TNG sources which, while not canon, make it clear that "cetacean" was indeed the intended word.

As for whether subtitles and CC are themselves canon, I'd lean toward no.
Funny, during randomly watching old TNG episodes I recently stumbled upon "The perfect mate" were Geordi establishes that they have dolphins onboard which he wanted to show one of the ferengi. So it is pretty save to say it is canon imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, subtitles are canon, as long as they follow what the script and the characters say.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Yes, subtitles are canon, as long as they follow what the script and the characters say.
Well, if they follow what the characters say - the script and the actual filmed version sometimes vary.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

This kind of discussion always reminds me of TNG "The Battle"...where when first aired had Geordi calling the Stargazer a Constitution class. But upon reairing, shows Geordi SAYING Constitution but we HEAR Constellation :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:This kind of discussion always reminds me of TNG "The Battle"...where when first aired had Geordi calling the Stargazer a Constitution class.
Eh? :? I know they originally intended the Stargazer to be a Connie, and shot the scene as such, but I thought they overdubbed it in post-production, before the episode went out.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

A related question: is Colonel West canon? IIRC he was only in the home video.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:This kind of discussion always reminds me of TNG "The Battle"...where when first aired had Geordi calling the Stargazer a Constitution class.
Eh? :? I know they originally intended the Stargazer to be a Connie, and shot the scene as such, but I thought they overdubbed it in post-production, before the episode went out.

As I recall, the first airing was Connie.......but was later redubbed before syndication
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lazar wrote:A related question: is Colonel West canon? IIRC he was only in the home video.

IIRC...Col West was mentioned by name when they discovered he was laying dead on the ground, but we didn't SEE him until the home release version.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mark wrote:IIRC...Col West was mentioned by name when they discovered he was laying dead on the ground, but we didn't SEE him until the home release version.
No, I think the latex mask reveal was only in the home video as well. I've seen broadcasts on TV that don't have it.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Lazar wrote:A related question: is Colonel West canon? IIRC he was only in the home video.
In the DVD special edition, he is seen planning the attack, and also seen with the mask off.
So I would venture "yes", he is canon...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)