NCC 1701-F

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: NCC 1701-F

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Virtually every alien species we see are perfectly comfortable in Human-normal environments. Vulcans are
No they're not. They're not struggling to stay concious by a long shot, but neither are they comfortable, any more than you or I would be comfortable in the Arctic. The others are probably much the same - we simply haven't been given as much information about the differences between their home worlds and Earth as we have about Vulcan.

I'm not suggesting that Vulcans on a Vulcan-tuned ship would be ten times more effective than aboard a human-tuned one, simply that they wouldn't have that niggling uncomfortable feeling you get when the temperature's a few degrees off and you're starting to get goosebumps - not enough to stop you doing your job, but enough to distract you.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Virtually every alien species we see are perfectly comfortable in Human-normal environments. Vulcans are
No they're not. They're not struggling to stay concious by a long shot, but neither are they comfortable, any more than you or I would be comfortable in the Arctic. The others are probably much the same - we simply haven't been given as much information about the differences between their home worlds and Earth as we have about Vulcan.
Any evidence of this? I don't recall even a single instance of a Vulcan complaining. I've never seen a Vulcan who had their own quarters set to anything but Earth standard. And Vulcan itself isn't all that different from Earth - same gravity, and Archer wasn't even that bothered by the heat in one of the most severe desert regions on the planet!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Personally I like the idea of not everyone liking human standard temps. I'd love it if Vulcans were usually wearing coats and Andorians had cooling suits on under their uniforms. It'd actually reinforce that they're aliens and not funny looking humans. However if you go by what's seen on screen I don't recall any of the major species, and most of the minor ones, having any problem what so ever with the environment in a Federation starship. Not so much as a shiver out of a Vulcan or an Andorian breaking out in a sweat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

a single instance of a Vulcan complaining
T'Pol complained about the smell a bit.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Garak complained once about what it was like living in an environment set for humans - the lights were always a little too bright, the temperature just a little too cold. He was in a grumpy mood at the time so he may have been exagerating the effect.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The female Founder on Cardassia commented that she "does not share the Cardassian love of heat."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well considering that even on Earth we have people who are more accustomed one's climate than the other. I don't expect someone for example, Alaska to love the heat in Texas or Mexico, and of course the other way around. Though given time, that person will get used to it.

Even me, when I go on deployment to the Persian Gulf, I get used to the 100+ degree weather to the point when I get back to the States, even 70 or 80 degrees seems cold to me.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:
a single instance of a Vulcan complaining
T'Pol complained about the smell a bit.
Indeed, but even she never complained about the temperature or the lighting.

I agree, temperature SHOULD make a difference, logically speaking. In fact to be wholly realistic half the species should want to wade around in liquid nitrogen while the other should want to wade around in liquid iron. Well okay, exaggeration, but it should make a huge difference. And so should pressure, the mix of gases in the atmosphere, the gravity level, and so on.

But the plain fact is that so far as we can tell, these things very rarely make any difference at all.

Garak complained, as we know, and I seem to recall a couple of occasions where other Cardassians complained. But look at the Maquis planets; perfectly Earth-normal environments, and the Cardassians were comfortable enough there that they wanted to move in and live there.

Beyond that... Melora couldn't handle standard gravity. In TNG, "Sarek", there was a species who needed a bath of stinky liquid something-or-other to swim in. Oh, and a couple of the Benzites we've seen had some sort of device puffing stuff into their face, though we've seen at least one who didn't need it. But beyond that? Even when we see their own quarters, I don't recall an occasion when anybody so much as changes the lighting level, let alone temperature or gravity.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Indeed, but even she never complained about the temperature or the lighting.
If there was a race for whom the standard starship temperature was too cold, one would think they would wear some kind of thermal clothing.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Maybe the uniforms or civilian clothes of the future can ragulate body temperature better then todays materials.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They can, actually. Of all episodes, it's actually "Spock's Brain" that establishes it. When they beam down to a glacial planet Kirk tells everyone to reset their uniform temperatures, and they all touch something on the back of their belts and then carry on. Standard uniforms, no jackets or additional gear at all.

It is conceivable that Spock walks around with his uniform temperature set high, certainly. It's also conceivable that there is some sort of cooling system in there, too, for Andorians and such. But there's certainly no evidence for it that I know of.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
It is conceivable that Spock walks around with his uniform temperature set high, certainly. It's also conceivable that there is some sort of cooling system in there, too, for Andorians and such. But there's certainly no evidence for it that I know of.
INCONCEIVABLE!

{cough}}

My apologies for interrupting, i now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Ooh...think of the nice juicy target they must make on IR. No wonder folks always got the drop of SF landing parties. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

using Spock's Brain for support for an argument, talk about distasteful.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
INCONCEIVABLE!

{cough}}

My apologies for interrupting, i now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.
You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer