Shared technology base?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Shared technology base?

Post by kostmayer »

Wouldn't Hexagonal torpedoes maked a bit more sense, for transport and storage that it. Hexagonal torpedoes the same mass as the cylindrival ones would take up a bit less space when stacked together.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actually, in terms of storage effeciency a cubic shape would be prefferable. And since there's no air in space, and thus no need for aerodynamic shapes, a cubic torpedo would be quite possible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Actually, in terms of storage effeciency a cubic shape would be prefferable. And since there's no air in space, and thus no need for aerodynamic shapes, a cubic torpedo would be quite possible.
But come on, no one wants to see a big cube flying out of a ship... But yeah, that would be an interesting idea.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nickswitz wrote:But come on, no one wants to see a big cube flying out of a ship... But yeah, that would be an interesting idea.
All we see now is a glowing dot. I doubt that'd change with a square torp.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right, the only reasoning for the vaguely cigar-shaped torps we know is the requirements of fluid dynamics on RL, water-based torpedoes.

That, and they needed to be roughly casket-shaped for use inTWoK.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

To bring up a few points from a few pages earlier, if the progenitors can construct dna to function properly and contain a message even after several billions of years of evolution, can the progenitors pull a 'Vorlon' and compel the various races genetically to use the same technology, like in Babylon 5?

Second, the firearms should look different if only due to ergonomics. There are various differences in general build in the various races, such as the placement of organs or skeletal structure, so the weapons should vary in size, grip placement nad interfaces, because some race with webbed fingers, for one, would have greater difficulty wrapping his hands around say, a handgrip due to the skin getting in the way, thus neccesating the altering of the firearm to facilitate it, or a whole new practice of design.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:Right, the only reasoning for the vaguely cigar-shaped torps we know is the requirements of fluid dynamics on RL, water-based torpedoes.

That, and they needed to be roughly casket-shaped for use inTWoK.
You could have cubic coffins. You might have to jam the body in there a bit, but I doubt they're going to object all that much.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:You could have cubic coffins. You might have to jam the body in there a bit, but I doubt they're going to object all that much.
Well, the decedent won't complain too much. ;) But people have a long history of trying to make other people comfortable who need it least - i.e., those who have assumed room temperature. Why do we put pillows in caskets?
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And dress a person in good clothes too... at least on TV.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

stitch626 wrote:And dress a person in good clothes too... at least on TV.
What you haven't decided on your coffin clothes yet.... :lol: :P

They actually do do that, all the effort for someone who will never appreciate it... :bangwall:

I personally believe fully in cremation, much cheaper for everyone involved.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I plan on finding someone I don't like, and then getting buried in a rented tux charged to their name.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've seen pics of Klingon disruptors. They've got the triggers placed for the thumb, on the back.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've seen pics of Klingon disruptors. They've got the triggers placed for the thumb, on the back.
Awkward.

As to Sionnach's comment about guns being point+shoot, it really isn't quite that simple. There are a number of different stances and grips you can use depending on the weapon, situation, and (most importantly), what's most comfortable for the shooter. I normally use a modified Weaver Stance, for example, instead of the more common Iscoceles Stance.

Might not look like a big difference, but it is. I used the Isosceles the first time I shot a .45 caliber Colt Peacemaker, for example. I was anticipating a lot of recoil, but it was eeeeeasy. The point is: there is a lot of variation on even something as simple as "pointing and shooting" a handgun. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, true, but still not enough to justify major changes to the design of the gun. That's more or less what I was getting at.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Aye, true, but still not enough to justify major changes to the design of the gun. That's more or less what I was getting at.
There have been a few somewhat large design changes recently. The Kriss is a good example. You point is valid, though. No need to reinvent the wheel. :wink:

(just in case that link doesn't work for you: Kriss)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939