Star Trek Online

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I've never watched an ep of Lost, so I can't comment to that end, but your endorsement helps my expectations somewhat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm quite a fan of Lost, I just wish they'd answer the damn questions they keep bringing up! :lol:

But if Abrams can bring the levels of mystery and suspense he showed in Lost into Trek, then it could be very good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Just had a look at the Karen Travis business, first I've heard of it. I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I steer clear of the EU because from what I've seen much of it is produced by armies of low grade hacks churning out dross in near industrial quantities. Reading some of that, looks like I'm right.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actually, its not all bad.

Any book by Timothy Zhan is definately worth reading.
Steer clear of the New Jedi Order and anything by Kevin J Anderson.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

As Rochey said, Zahn's work is well worth reading. Other good ones are James Luceno and Aaron Allston (his Wraith Squadron books are my second favourite series behind Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy). Traviss, from what I've heard, is actually a pretty good author - the problem was her demonstrated inability to take any cristismism whatsoever.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i heard wraith squadron was good somewhere else,might give them a go
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:As Rochey said, Zahn's work is well worth reading. Other good ones are James Luceno and Aaron Allston (his Wraith Squadron books are my second favourite series behind Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy). Traviss, from what I've heard, is actually a pretty good author - the problem was her demonstrated inability to take any cristismism whatsoever.
I loved Wraith Squadron. It was nice to see guys with bad marks on their record as a team of heroes. Too often the heroes are troubled for a short part of the story and then a) become typical redemed hero characters or b) their flaws destroy them and put the main mission or whatever they're working on at greater risk. Wraith squad makes it work.

"what do we blow up first?"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Yub yub, Commander." :lol:

What I like about Allston's books is his ability to combine drama, emotion, comedy and action. Janson and Kell in the first book, Face and Phanan part way through the second, Lara Nostil in the third, off-set by the Wraiths' continuous arsing around, and such legendary events as Ginder and the Storini Crystal Deceiver and Lieutenant Kettch.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Ah, Lt Kettch. One of the best running gags ever.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Talk about screwing up continuity scares me.

Not just because I will be annoyed at stuff they mess with but because it shows a lack of respect to trek as a whole.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My thoughts exactly - and a lack of respect to 'Trek fans.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer