Security Overhaul

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Security Overhaul

Post by Lighthawk »

Alright, we all know that Trek security is a joke. The goldshirts, apart from the security chiefs, are about as competant as mall rent-a-cops, and are poorly under-equiped for their duties.

So here comes the hypothetical: You are in charge of Starfleet security now. We're going to focus this thread on the typical security officer. What changes do you make in order to turn these meat shields who couldn't be trusted to watch over a small child into proper ship guardians and warriors?

Make whatever changes you believe necessary, and feesable with Trek tech.

For my own part...

1) Training: A LOT MORE OF IT! We'll start with basic things like Taking Cover in a Firefight 101, to Reporting suspicous activity before wandering off alone to check it out, to hand to hand work. Biggest lesson of all though: When using a weapon that fires a constant stream (just about every type of phaser in existance) don't just aim at one spot, sweep the beam around if it looks like it's going to miss. When your weapon fires in spurts of 3-6 seconds, keeping it aimed over the target's shoulder the whole time is just idiotic, sweep the beam down already!

2) Weapons: Start by ditching the dustbuster hand phasers, and getting these guys proper pistol grip weapons. With easily removable and exchangable power cells. And sighting devices, including: Snap down, fold up iron sights for emergency use. A "laser" sight setting, basically a REALLY low power phaser beam for visual aimming. An auto tracking system that tied into a visor or even an electronic set of contact lenses with a HUD system that follows eye movement to determine targets.

For more serious actions, FC style rifles, with all the above targeting options. Also I'd request SF R&D to design a phaser weapon designed entirely around wide beam shots, a phaser shotgun basically, for close combat room clearing. Also a few grenades would be nice, frag, smoke, gas, EMC...

3) Armor: Get some. All security uniforms should have an underlayer of energy dampening/redirecting mesh. It doesn't have to be enough to let them shrug off small arms fire, but it should at least be enough to let a security officer live long enough to get transfered to sickbay. It should also be doable to have this light armor be able to resist and blunt bladed weapon attacks.

For more serious actions, some real armor would be passed out. Full body, helmet included. Personal shield generators and strength augmentation if possible.

4) Communicators: Replace the badges. Those things are too easily removed. Security coms will be small, pill shaped devices that fit snuggly in the ear, and are controlled with verbal commands. The hand's free operation means as long as you can talk, you can use it, and if you can't talk what's the point? Also as the speaker is in the ear, security commands won't be broadcast for everyone within earshot to hear them.

5) Various goodies
a) Bio sensors: All on duty security personal will have their vitals under constant monituring. If the sensors detect a life threatening reading, they will trigger an immediate and automatic site to site transport to sick bay. And sound a general alert if it has not already been done.
b) Tricorder readings will be able to be displayed in the visor/contact HUD, and will respond to verbal commands. That way security officers can have both hands on their weapon at all times.
c) Security officers visor/contacts will also be able to recieve data feeds from the ship's sensors.
d) Auto-meds: If site to site transport is unaviable, disabled, or if the injury is just not great enough to warrent it but still enough to severly degrade the security personal's performance, he can be adminstered various painkilling and stabalizing medicines by the means of a tricorder sized device intergrated into his armor, which will be tied into the bio senors.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Security Overhaul

Post by Deepcrush »

Contact some friends, bring in the Marines (USMC, Royal Marines, ROK Marines are all welcome) and then just point saying "They are bad" and watch as the Marines make them dead.

For computers, install vista. As soon as someone hacks you, their system will crash. Just look for the guy screaming at his computer.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Deepcrush wrote:Contact some friends, bring in the Marines (USMC, Royal Marines, ROK Marines are all welcome) and then just point saying "They are bad" and watch as the Marines make them dead.

For computers, install vista. As soon as someone hacks you, their system will crash. Just look for the guy screaming at his computer.
Now this just shows how hard you are Deep, ROKs are just mean on a stick :evil: and a pointy stick :twisted: at that.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Vic wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Contact some friends, bring in the Marines (USMC, Royal Marines, ROK Marines are all welcome) and then just point saying "They are bad" and watch as the Marines make them dead.

Now this just shows how hard you are Deep, ROKs are just mean on a stick :evil: and a pointy stick :twisted: at that.
I know, I've trained with several.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Overall I think you're looking too much at the high-level stuff, dealing with armed boarding teams rather than day-to-day security. That can be dealt with simply by more secure programming (i.e. don't run alien programming on the main computer), disabling their wi-fi, and installing some basic security around classified areas like the bridge and engineering - doors with swipe card machines, CCTV, some bloke outside the door checking ID (which should be visible at all times), etc.

In response to your specific suggestions:
Lighthawk wrote:Snip training and weapons
I agree
Also a few grenades would be nice, frag, smoke, gas, EMC...
Hang on a moment, this is starship security we're talking about, not ground combat. Flashbangs and smoke (possibly with anaesthetic gas) grenades would be useful, but frag and EMP risk damaging the ship.
Snip armour
Agreed, although I think ease of movement and comfortable wear should be prioritised over survivability if there has to be a choice between the two.
4) Communicators: Replace the badges. Those things are too easily removed. Security coms will be small, pill shaped devices that fit snuggly in the ear, and are controlled with verbal commands. The hand's free operation means as long as you can talk, you can use it, and if you can't talk what's the point? Also as the speaker is in the ear, security commands won't be broadcast for everyone within earshot to hear them.
I think headsets with a PTT would be a better bet - small earpieces would be more delicate and easier to loose, and voice activation is slow and is potentially misunderstood, especially in a noisy and confused environment.
a) Bio sensors: All on duty security personal will have their vitals under constant monituring. If the sensors detect a life threatening reading, they will trigger an immediate and automatic site to site transport to sick bay. And sound a general alert if it has not already been done.
Useful, although I think the response should be a local alert and despatching a security team with a medic, not transport and a shipwide alert.
b) Tricorder readings will be able to be displayed in the visor/contact HUD, and will respond to verbal commands. That way security officers can have both hands on their weapon at all times.
Again, there are problems with voice-control in confused environments, and having a HUD floating around in front of your face could be dangerously distracting.
c) Security officers visor/contacts will also be able to recieve data feeds from the ship's sensors.
I agree with the sensor feed, but not integrating them into visors.
d) Auto-meds: If site to site transport is unaviable, disabled, or if the injury is just not great enough to warrent it but still enough to severly degrade the security personal's performance, he can be adminstered various painkilling and stabalizing medicines by the means of a tricorder sized device intergrated into his armor, which will be tied into the bio senors.
No thanks - you'd be better off adding medical personnel to security teams, or even better having two man medical teams within a few minutes of all points on the ship (not difficult with turbolifts).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I agree with Seafort for pretty much everything minus the following...
Agreed, although I think ease of movement and comfortable wear should be prioritised over survivability if there has to be a choice between the two.
In ground combat, mobility is important. In defensive actions such as aboard ship or inside a starbase or facility of any kind. Protection and Firepower should be prioritized over everything else. Comfort isn't really important and since you're counting movement by deck and not by the mile.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Increase the effectiveness and friggin' use of force fields, gas, transporters, jamming fields and the like.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Increase the effectiveness and friggin' use of force fields, gas, transporters, jamming fields and the like.
This alone could quadruple the security effectiveness.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

stitch626 wrote:This alone could quadruple the security effectiveness.
So could a butler.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Are we talking TNG:NEM era here?

I wonder if there was a 24th century MACO organisation or if SF security became a 'one size fits all' outfit?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There was certainly no indication of any type of specific UFP soldiery. But without resorting to the use of technology for which there was no indication of it's existence, I would agree with body armor - there was certainly precedent for it, as show by the use of the movie-era cuirass and helmet combo by security officers.

Much of the rest could be covered by bog-standard municipal police training: don't enter a dangerous situation without backup, make sure an area is secure/covered before moving on, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:There was certainly no indication of any type of specific UFP soldiery.
And, conversely, every indication that they don't exist, given that the infantry company defending AR-558 were bog-standard goldshirts
But without resorting to the use of technology for which there was no indication of it's existence, I would agree with body armor - there was certainly precedent for it, as show by the use of the movie-era cuirass and helmet combo by security officers.
Agreed. Indeed, given the piss-poor performance of Paris' phaser against the artic in Future's End, it's possible that modern body armour would be effective against phasers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

thelordharry wrote:Are we talking TNG:NEM era here?

I wonder if there was a 24th century MACO organisation or if SF security became a 'one size fits all' outfit?
It fits with their standard response. In Nemesis the enemy boarding party would have been vulnerable to bright lights, so a creative solution (which Starfleet prides itself on, as it is an application of science rather than brute force) would be to turn the lights up to full.

Of course, a few miutes at a sunglasses store would have allowed the actors to pretend they were tactical goggles (to preserve their eyesight, provide maps, tactical plans, etc) and effectively negate this tactic.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm, all right, Resurrect the MACO organization and create dedicated soldiers.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

In a day and age of holograms with holo emitters all over the ship, I'd go for a supplemental force of holo-security. Let's look at the benefits.

Immune to most weapons. You'd have to target the emitters which could be protected by a high powered forcefield.

Instant response time. They are where you need them instantly. Plus they could go places other huminoids may not be able to enter.

They can be programmed with increased speed and strength for hand to hand fighting, as well as being able to alter their form (to a certain degree) to adapt to a combat situation.

Morale wouldn't be a problem. They'd fight and hold until the emitters were destroyed, with no need to flee or retreat.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.