Civilian Ships

Trek Books, Games and General chat
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Civilian Ships

Post by kostmayer »

From what I've read, an armoured car isn't supposed to survive a full on attack, just survive long enough to escape from an ambush.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:From what I've read, an armoured car isn't supposed to survive a full on attack, just survive long enough to escape from an ambush.
I think it's more a question of "incapable" rather than "not supposed to." If you read the link Tsu posted about "Cadillac One," you'll notice it's built on the chassis of a C4500... which I used to sell as 17,500-lb. or 19,500-lb. dump trucks. "Normal" armored cars are necessarily built on light-duty sedan chassis, and therefore cannot feasibly carry enough protection to do any more than hold proof against light small-arms fire. I say light, because I can't think of an armored car that's proof against one of the big hunting revolvers, like a Casull or one of them big .750 Russian 5-shooters.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Ah, yes. Nothing like that is sold in our area. Instead, any "armoured" cars sold here are simply the same vehicle with a few mm of steel instead of thin metal + fiberglass.
From this, I think the problem is one of terminology. An armoured car is not a civvie car with armour - it's one of these.
Oh yeah, definite difference in terminology.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:From this, I think the problem is one of terminology. An armoured car is not a civvie car with armour - it's one of these.
Certainly not to what I had referred. You'd know the military nomenclature better than I, but if you put a gun to my head and told me to ID that thing, I'd call it a very small IFV.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've always thought of Armoured Cars as the sort of mini german tanks employed in world war II. I didnt even know you could get standard road cars with armour plating on them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:if you put a gun to my head and told me to ID that thing, I'd call it a very small IFV.
Eh? What do you think the "I" in IFV stands for? Look at the thing - how do you expect to fit any more than the crew in that. Very small AFV, sure, and that's what it is - "armoured car" is simply a more specific term.
Reliant121 wrote:I didnt even know you could get standard road cars with armour plating on them.
You can't - you can get custom-modified (or at most very limited production) road cars with armour plating. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ah, so this would be a trend of plating your car with thin bullet proof material.

Unless in American its more common than it is here. I have to admit it gave me the rather ridiculous image of a Fiat Panda in armour plating.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Reliant121 wrote:Ah, so this would be a trend of plating your car with thin bullet proof material.

Unless in American its more common than it is here. I have to admit it gave me the rather ridiculous image of a Fiat Panda in armour plating.
:lol:
Usually it is done with Crown Vics and other large sedans (only the armoured ones though, not the stock models).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Captain Seafort wrote:You can't - you can get custom-modified (or at most very limited production) road cars with armour plating. :wink:
I've heard that custom-made armored SUVs are popular among affluent people in Mexico City, because there's an epidemic of people being kidnapped right out of their cars.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Ah, so this would be a trend of plating your car with thin bullet proof material.

Nothing of the sort. As Seafort vaguely alluded to, you can't just take a production vehicle and put armor and bullet-resistant glass on it, any more than you can make a streched vehicle simply by cutting it apart and adding a bit in the middle. The chassis has to be specially reinforced; the A, B, and C pillars have to be stiffened and strenghtened; etc. In addition, the process generally involves strengthening and cladding the rims so the vehicle can drive without one or more tires.
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Lazar wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:You can't - you can get custom-modified (or at most very limited production) road cars with armour plating. :wink:
I've heard that custom-made armored SUVs are popular among affluent people in Mexico City, because there's an epidemic of people being kidnapped right out of their cars.
Yes, kidnapping is the new national sport of Mexico, eclipsing even football. :?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

My uncle had a friend who had an armored Mercedez Benz. He was affiliated with some criminal elements in Chicago......so it made sense for him.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:My uncle had a friend who had an armored Mercedez Benz. He was affiliated with some criminal elements in Chicago......so it made sense for him.
Edited for accuracy.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Wait, isn't Chicago a criminal element? :poke: :twisted:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mark wrote:My uncle had a friend who had an armored Mercedez Benz. He was affiliated with some criminal elements in Chicago......so it made sense for him.
Edited for accuracy.
Fixed. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"