Civilian Ships

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Civilian Ships

Post by Mark »

I'm kicking around an idea for a story in my head involving a Starfleet Officer, who, after a mission going bad with S.I. or S31 gets cut loose and CAN'T return to Starfleet. So, he turns to civilian ships. And starts to see a side of the Federation never explored before, from the perspective of a ship on the fringe of the law. The problem that I'm having is with the ship he hooks up with. Does ANYBODY have any stats for any of the civilian ships? And what kind of or how many weapons would they be restricted too. That kind of thing.............
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Civilian Ships

Post by Tyyr »

I think we've seen a few civilian ships though the only one that I'm sure was part of the Federation was the Vico. It was an Oberth class ship though. Nothing in the way of hard data to offer.

If I had to design one I'd probably put the limits of a civilian ship somewhere around the refit Connie/Miranda level of tech, maybe the equivalent of an Excelsior as a top of the line civvie ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bernd has some decent images, including the ubiquitous and multi-sized Merchantman platform, Cassidy Yates' ship, and the crashed Erewhon. Check out Ex-Astris-Scientia.org.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

How about the Raven-type?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

You mean basically Firefly with an ex Starfleet Officer onboard? Well it would probably depend what this civilian ship is supposed to do.

For instance if it is just a transporter for goods I see no reason why they shouldn't still have a few ptolemy transports maybe with slightly more modern tugs.

Or you could use the merchantman from ST III, the one with the klingon chick onboard. Or you could search for stats of the Maquis ships/raiders which I think were just civilian ships a bit bumped up with weaponry.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was thinking of the merchantman.......but I can't find any stats for it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bernd doesn't allow hotlinking, so c&p this in your browser:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schem ... _ships.htm

scroll down, you'll find the merchantman as well as a number of other civvie ships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Here you have the stats/blueprints of the merchantman:

Federation Class J Merchantman

And another freighter I found:

Independence Class Freighter

They are not canon of course but may provide a good starting point.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think its a possibility that old decommissioned Starfleet ships (Refit Connie Era) are definite possibilities, as well as the freighter style ships like the merchantmen.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The only civilian ships I know of in TOS were Mudd's ship, which was a blur of light in the original but a nice ship in the remaster :

Then the cruise ship Aurora, which looked like a Tholian ship in TOS :

But was revamped for the remaster :

We heard of the "SS Beagle", which was a "class 4 stardrive survey vessel, in operation under the authority of the Merchant Service". The crew was 47. but we don't have stats on it.

Of course, we do have stats on the famous Kobayashi Maru :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

This is awesome stuff.

I'm fleshing out the ship nicely....as that will be where most of the action takes place. The characters usually develop around the the ship for me at least....let's see what happens. We have our protaganist.....once upon a time a young starship Captain, that was unwillingly recruted by a deep cover agency (either SI or S31....I haven't decided), when they faked his death. They promised to fix everything if he succeeded. Now that the mission is over, they screwed him and cut him loose (not worth the trouble of reversing a faked death). Having nothing else left, he joins the civillian merchant fleet on a ship of a somewhat cloudy legal standing with a morally ambigious crew.

What do you guys think of the premise?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Have you ever read Consider Phlebas? The broad strokes of this plot sound very very similar.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I don't know I am not a big fan of S31 even if it is used only as plot device to get the story started. Why not a promising young captain who doesn't happen to have any connections at all and is basically stuck on one of those lousy frigate-ships, so after another 5year tour to the ass of the universe mapping s**t so to speak and no prospect of advancement he just quits starfleet.

I mean even Kirk quit starfleet for a time and there you have a dedicated person with all options available to him. Now that wouldn't be as dramatic as a S31 plot but with the maincharactar not offically dead you would have nicer options to have him still interact with starfleet-personell, maybe even call in a few favours from former crew etc.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:Have you ever read Consider Phlebas? The broad strokes of this plot sound very very similar.

Can't say that I have.........what genre is it?

Atekimogus wrote:I don't know I am not a big fan of S31 even if it is used only as plot device to get the story started. Why not a promising young captain who doesn't happen to have any connections at all and is basically stuck on one of those lousy frigate-ships, so after another 5year tour to the ass of the universe mapping s**t so to speak and no prospect of advancement he just quits starfleet.

I mean even Kirk quit starfleet for a time and there you have a dedicated person with all options available to him. Now that wouldn't be as dramatic as a S31 plot but with the maincharactar not offically dead you would have nicer options to have him still interact with starfleet-personell, maybe even call in a few favours from former crew etc.
Part of the premise of the story is the fact that the main character is a hotshot Captain, of an envied ship of the line. He has everything an officer could want, then litterally has his life STOLEN from him by part of the very orginazation he had given everything to, and has to find a new path. Imagine Picard, the man who had his ships replicator system replaced because it didn't make his tea just right suddenly forced so serve as a crewman on a floating POS in space. Interested contrast, wouldn't you say? Wonderful character interactions.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote:Can't say that I have.........what genre is it?
Science Fiction. It's one of Ian Banks' Culture series, which is one of the more unique sci-fi universes around. Definitely worth a read if you can find any of his books. They're really good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"