Demo ship Rematching

Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Demo ship Rematching

Post by sunnyside »

If you're interested. Now Deep wants a super powered Akira to just blow some Vor's up with. But I'd be more inclined to try the first thing over or at least talk about it a little.

First off did anything that happened seem off or non-trek? Specifically do you think it should be harder to gang up on a single ship?

Next to be fair you were fighting a higher points value force. To even things up for next time and to try them out I'll give the Akira a flight of a dozen Peregrines (enough of an upgrade for you Deep?) They follow regular rules but have -1 to hit like the defiant and it's -2 to actually hit the nimble little things. No hull values and just a single all around shield. Once you pop the shield and get some damage through they're toast.

Also any thoughts on tactics? A couple comments on the ships present.

Vor's are nice all around cruisers but they keep most of their disruptor ability all in one spot.

Neg's have punishing disruptors and strong hulls, but pretty pathetic shields for their size and points.

The Akira has, for it's points, an incredible amount of damage output. However it's defenses are low, and it's phasers aren't too hot. It's the massive amount of photons it can churn out. Which is why the klingons focused on it. The defiant would have dodged a lot of that with the range penalties and it's dodgyness, the sov would have probably weathered the storm (though it'd nearly be out of shields), but the Akira was doomed once it flew into disrupter range.

The Sov is just an awsome all around ship. Though it really relies on that single q-turret to punish it's targets.

Defiant is incredible manuverable. It's hard not to get great con rolls with that think. And for its points it's pretty tough, especially if jinking. But it needs to get close and has a hard time really connecting with targets that are focusing on dodging especially if doing trick shots. If the defiant focuses on dodging I think it would be an incredible damage sink (all ships -4 to hit it plus maybe range modifiers or somesuch).

Also disrupters turned out to work really very well. However they do suffer at range and only reach 300,000m

Oh and coments on where you guys started impressing me. Deep figured out a way to quickly get back to his companions when I figured he'd get tied up dogfighting with the BOPs and not be able to contribute. Also while I know he wanted that neck Granite went for the wing when the Vor was focusing on protecting the neck. And Rochey seems to be getting a solid feeling for when to target and when to fire a spread etc. Though I think he misses the large charge coupled phase aray on the past two ships he lead that could get in easy crits on what he wanted (the multiple powerful phasor shots on the sov are great for putting random crits on the other ship, not so good at hitting exactly the thing he wants).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My error was in moving to close range with the Akira, i should have stayed back fought outside of disruptor range, i won't make that mistake again.

I'm all for a rematch, maybe take out one of the Negh'vars for now. Then go back in with what we had started with.

As to suping up the Akira, i just thought that would be fun and i didn't think it was to far off since the feds could build it if they weren't so stuck up in red tape.

I'd like to do both battles if thats ok with you sunnyside?
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I did notice something that didn't fit in with the Trek universe; the captains were smart. :wink:

I think our main mistake was running head-on into the range of the disruptors. We should have held back and tried pelting them with torps.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I agree, we should have closed with the defiant but had the sov and akira fight a running battle. Tagging the klingons with PTs and QTs all the way around and soften them up a bit.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the Defiant should have stayed with us. If we'd sent Granite in on his own he'd have been targeted by the whole fleet.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i could take 'em! Pain is a drug!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, but if your head is gone, there's nothing for that drug to do. :wink:
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

There has to be some gain to moving him in, but a defiant on full dodge is fairly tricky to hit (though if a whole fleet is shooting at him it'll still be a lot).

But it occured to me that Granite might have missed the first fight with Rochey. Little ships like yours have the option of avoiding the fire arcs of the big ships weapons. For example if you stay below a Neg (and out of it's rear or forward arcs) it can only hit you with it's lighter disruptors. Course there is the issue of which of your weapons can hit what, but just wanted to make sure you knew that was an option (and commonly enough done in the series)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Just remember that those mark 18s can only in the forward ventral quarter so if your in front of them, then be above them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly, I think we only started trying to avoid enemy fire arcs once we realised how powerfull the enemy fleet was.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

By then it was to late! Damn! We acted like Starfleet captains! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :x I WANT REVENGE!

Next time we have to think faster! Those negh's took me out first turn! :x And now all i have is an Intrepid! :x :x :x
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Clearly, watching too much Trek is bad for your tactical skills. :wink:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Master Sgt would beat me within an inch of my life if he saw that!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Clearly, watching too much Trek is bad for your tactical skills. :wink:
Watching too much Trek is bad for your tactical, science, engineering, maths and common sense skills. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Also rememeber that (thanks to Deep) you can shoot at torps when outside of Phaser/disruptor range. So maybe turning your tail to the Klingon ships wouldn't work to well.

(You'd be fireing from your weak rear launchers into their strong disruptors, while they'd be fireing torps into your weaker rear arcs)

However at least if you move slower you'll get a little while when your powerful forward arc shots are probably going to get through while your own phasers might be able to down incoming torps.

Actually that's something I'll have to consider with the Klingons. Their torp launchers are powerful but they take a freaking long time to reaload! If the Klingons shoot at your when you're still at range than between the target modifiers and your intercepting phaser fire they might accomplish jack all. And then they're sitting around with their pants down for a few turns! Hmmmm in character what would a klingon do?