Strategic Operations Officer

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Strategic Operations Officer

Post by Bryan Moore »

Worf's primary mission, according to "Hippocratic Oath" was to coordinate Starfleet operations in the sector. This seems like a logical administrative/command position. Does the board think this is a custom made position to keep him there in the time of the Klingons, or would Starfleet actually use SOO's or similiar positions in their busy sectors?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Strategic Operations Officer

Post by Mikey »

While it certainly seemed like a make-work position for Worf, it could be a true, viable position in the unique situation of DS9 - that is, Starfleet oversight of a non-UFP installation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Especially in a zone that just broke out with hostilities.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I can see it as easily being a valid position.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think it would be an entirely viable position aboard starbases and spacestations that were in difficult situations. Worfs case he had:

The Wormhole: Lots of GQ traffic, with potential hostiles and many trading ships, as well as the Dominion. Bajoran and AQ traffic going out as well.

Bajor: Bajor isn't exactly the safest place with terrorism, a exponentially growing economy, tonnes of trade, religious zealots and a major hatred for one of their big neighbours Cardassia.

cardassia: Cardassia within theory could walk right over bajor, and there have been many occasions of cardassian border incursions against Bajor. The badlands is a favourite spot for terrorism in both directions, and it all falls under starfleet's jurisdiction.

On stations where similar difficulties arise; lots of trade, two empires clashing, lots of crime or something of that kind, a Strategic operations Officer could be a very valuable officer.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem is that you'd have to grant him admiral like authority to effect any change. If not he's just an adviser.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I envision him as a sort of co-ordinator. Making sure ships are where they're supposed to be, and so on.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. In addition, he'd probably be the guy to run interference between the endless stream of position reports, dispositions, intel, logistical requests, etc.; and Sisko.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:The problem is that you'd have to grant him admiral like authority to effect any change. If not he's just an adviser.
That wouldn't be a problem - he'd be a staff officer, so he'd be acting on the authority of the sector commander, not his own. The problem is that, given the strategic importance of the Bajoran sector in general and DS9 in particular after the discovery of the wormhole, Sisko should never have been left in command - he should either have been replaced entirely, or an Admiral put in over his head while he was left to run the station itself.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Bajorans never would have agreed to Sisko being removed or out placed by a higher rank.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Bajorans don't get to decide Starfleet's command structure for them. The best that being the Emissary should have achieved would be to leave Sisko in command of the station alone or assigned as liaison or military attaché to Bajor.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

So did Worf actually do any of the stuff his position might require? Because all I remember him doing was commanding the Defiant and running around being a Klingon.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its Bajoran Space on a Bajoran Station under loan to the UFP so long as the Bajoran Government allows them. They could very easily tell the UFP "Its Sisko or get out". The UFP would have to lose its hand in a vital region of space or just let Sisko keep command and just have someone like Ross who checks in on him from time to time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Actually, once all the Emissary stuff started, I would have started giving SERIOUS thought to replacing Sisko with a more neutral officer.

I mean, that Emissary business wasn't at all a powder keg that erupted every few episodes, was it? :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Actually, once all the Emissary stuff started, I would have started giving SERIOUS thought to replacing Sisko with a more neutral officer.

I mean, that Emissary business wasn't at all a powder keg that erupted every few episodes, was it? :roll:
They should have just posted him to Bajor as the cultural attache or some such BS.