Bridges

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*checks outside for the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and checks hell to see if its still warm*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*Wonders why DC just got so cold?*
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
I can't think of a better place for it to be! :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Maybe we should keep a record of this thread.
Just in case anyone ever says that us two are always arguing, and we can prove them wrong. :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
You think thats bad? Me and Teaos have such high post counts for a reason; nearly every thread we're both in we start arguing about something! :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*Throws hat at the ground*
"Damnit, i had four horses over here just a min ago, who's the joker!"
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:
Maybe it is because of tradition. Look at modern navies. All their ships have their bridges up top rather than in the ship. Maybe ship building designs just carried through. Your idea about transporters and sensors is plausable aswell.
The bridge on a modern naval vessel is in an exposed location for a reason, ease of navigation. That is not where the Captain and the combat staff are in action however, they are in the CIC. Which is in the best protected location in the ship.

*Edit: If Trek wanted to copy modern naval combat then they should have the staff remove to the battle bridge in the E-D which wouldn't be capable of seperation or the Aux Control Room in TOS.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Maybe it is because of tradition. Look at modern navies. All their ships have their bridges up top rather than in the ship. Maybe ship building designs just carried through. Your idea about transporters and sensors is plausable aswell.
You want the real reason? 'Cause Gene Roddenberry said so! :D

Beyond that, though, your guess is as good as mine...
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yes it would make sense to move to a battle bridge during combat but having the normal one were it is shouldnt be a problem most of the time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Having the bridge where it is makes for easy changing of the bridge module. Look at the D in generations, it got a new bridge module. And we've seen other Galaxies that have different bridge modules again.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You wouldn't need that ease of installing a new bridge all the time if it were better protected!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Damage isn't the only reason for replacing a bridge. Mission specific bridges (What's the point of having lots of science stations if you are going into a big war?), or simply upgrading technogoly.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tiberius wrote:Damage isn't the only reason for replacing a bridge. Mission specific bridges (What's the point of having lots of science stations if you are going into a big war?), or simply upgrading technogoly.
Upgrading the technology I agree with, but not the mission specific bit - one advantage of the flat-panel consoles is that they can b reconfigured to whatever you want, as they demonstrated in DS9's "Starship Down" and Voyager's "Deadlock" when they turned engineering into a secondary bridge after the main bridge was badly damaged. You could do the same to the main bridge in wartime.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

The bridge's interface with the rest of the ship isn't just the panels, it's the hardware behind them. And certain missions may require additional stations (such as a scientific mission requiring additional science stations) or fewer stations (such as diplomatic missions). Far better to be able to quickly and easily swap bridges instead of going off with stations doing nothing but taking up space/drawing power or needing additional stations and not needing them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

At most a ship might need a new bridge once or twice in its life. You may as well go to a star base and gut the old on rather than build it on top so you can do it faster.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.