Bridges

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Given that the Galaxy class had an expected lifespan of about a century (and other classes have similar lifespans, such as the Excelsiors and Mirandas and Oberths), I doubt there would be 50 years between bridge replacements. The D had her bridge replaced after 7 years (and that's assuming that the different bridges we saw during the series were just refurbishments, not replacments.

And lets not forget that the original Enterprise and the Enterprise A had their bridges replaced for every movie!
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Still it wouldnt be to hard to gut a bridge in the middle of the ship and have it safe rather than have it on top and slightly easier to replace.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Slightly easier to replace?

How do you intend to pop out the bridge module when it is buried in the center of a huge starship? You'd have to disassemble it and do it in pieces, and I wouldn't fancy lugging all those bits through the corridors.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It would at most take a few days which is nothing considering it is only does every few years.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I doubt it could be done so quickly, certainly far slower than the method of popping out one module and bolting a replacement in, but then bridge replacement would only be done as part of a major scheduled refit, rather than on a whim, as the E-D's seemed to be.

And congratulations Commander. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It would take awhile but that is well worth it when you consider the fact it is well protected and not sticking out saying "Hit me"

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:It would take awhile but that is well worth it when you consider the fact it is well protected and not sticking out saying "Hit me"
I agree absolutely, it was just the specific assertion that a bridge could be replaced in a few days I was disagreeing with. The one advantage of Starfleet's arrangement is that bridges can be swapped out relatively easilly, and so they can keep them as simple as possible and update them with the latest technology, possibly in a single day. That doesn't, however, make up for the vulnerability of the bridge location.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Thats not the only advantage... it also looks pretty. And we all know thats what really counts.

Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

The TNG tech manual also says that the bridge is capable of being ejected in an emergency, like a lifeboat. A good idea, which is hard to do when the bridge is buried in the middle of the ship.