Crew Shifts

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Crew Shifts

Post by Bryan Moore »

So we have a standard crew shift in Trek of 3 8-hour shifts, and assuming they're not 7 days a week, they're probably 5-6 with the other 2 shifts working 12-hours or something instead of 8. So we definitely know there's people staffing things at all times. Why, though, do you have all your senior officers on at one time (other than looks good on TV?). We've also seen the bridge minimally crewed at "night" which, while I understand ships business will slow down, also puzzles me how they determine when things get busy. In space, not everything runs on a 24 hour schedule. There's obvious ways around this, but it's always kind of bugged me.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Crew Shifts

Post by Aaron »

I go with the 3 shifts, 7 days a week. That leaves 8 for work, 8 for sleep and 8 for other. That's plenty and it's not like RL ship crews get the weekend off unless their in port. ;)

The senior officers all on the bridge alway bugged me as well though. Captains don't usually stand a watch unless they feel like it, their skills are best used for other things and there is plenty of Admin for them to do. Watch standing is typically a JO thing.

I assumed they run the ships on Terran time and just dim the lights to prevent the same type of issues we have in the arctic, keeping the bodies natural rhythm.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I assumed they run the ships on Terran time and just dim the lights to prevent the same type of issues we have in the arctic, keeping the bodies natural rhythm.
I would tend to agree. One thing I've often wondered about - the lack of clocks shown on-screen. Any workplace I've ever been in has had a clock in every room. We don't see crewmembers wearing watches (I think it would be a pain in the butt to say, "Computer? What time is it?" all the time) so maybe the clocks/chronometers are just off-screen... :?
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They actually did put a clock on the bridge in ST VI. Trouble is, with all the cutting and editing and reshooting of scenes that goes on it generates constant nits where the time bounces around when you actually pay attention to it.

It's curious, though, that nobody seems to wear watches in Trek. Given that they seem to get pissed off if you are so much as thirty seconds late to a meeting...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

They should have kept those wrist communicators in TMP, they could easily have served as a watch. Come to think of it, the standard brick communicator could have done so as well. We all have clocks on our cell phones after all.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Um... maybe they all have a talking clock in their head, your guess is as good as mine. :lol:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:...maybe they all have a talking clock in their head...
I was going to suggest a different anatomical location to explain all the uptight characters, but your suggestion is good enough. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, well, wherever they could fit it... :wink:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Every single panel anywhere on board is conceivable a clock.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

However, eight hour shifts seven days a weeks would get quite tiring, especially on long duration missions, where your not expecting shore leave for months or even years. You simply wouldn't get a day off unless you took leave.

What makes more sense to me is a rotating schedule with staggered days off for most of the crew and junior officers. As for the senior officers, perhaps they get called to the bridge at the first sign something is originally detected on long range sensors?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

I've never had a problem with us seeing all the senior officers on the bridge at one time because most of the time it is when something important is happening.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But 90% of everything seems to happen on the "Alpha" shift.....unless the staff gets called to the bridge
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's what makes it tough to say. Certainly, there are times when the senior staff is on the bridge and then something happens... in general, it would seem to make sense that at least Riker and Picard had opposite shifts.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Agreed. In practice the only time I recall an indication that they're not on the bridge 24/7 was when Crusher was OOW, which makes as much sense as the CO , for the reasons Kendall stated.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:However, eight hour shifts seven days a weeks would get quite tiring, especially on long duration missions, where your not expecting shore leave for months or even years. You simply wouldn't get a day off unless you took leave.

What makes more sense to me is a rotating schedule with staggered days off for most of the crew and junior officers. As for the senior officers, perhaps they get called to the bridge at the first sign something is originally detected on long range sensors?
You'd probably have a day here and there but these guys have things the Navy will never, ever have. Like a holodeck, gardens, probably a pool, massive lounges and bar. Heck the rec lounge in TMP was larger then the hanger on the Halifax class frigate, IIRC the largest single room on the vessel.