Possible Roles For Fighters

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Possible Roles For Fighters

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:I'd guess that the ratio of fighter pilots lost to pilots launched would be considerably higher than that of GCS crew lost vs. embarked.
Oh of course it would be. But every fighter that GCS carries is six more PTs (or warheads the like) on a target that has to split its fire against the Fighters and GCS.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. That has nothing to do with the fact that the loss ratio of fighters wouldn't be the same as that of a cap ship, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

What if the fighters were behind the cap ships shields?

Then, they couldn't easilly be hit by enemy fire. Though it would require better coordnation so they don't collide with their protector.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:What if the fighters were behind the cap ships shields?

Then, they couldn't easilly be hit by enemy fire. Though it would require better coordnation so they don't collide with their protector.
Also makes it hard to get a firing solution.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

At that close range, you'd be better off turning the controls over to the computer...and linking with the cap ship to use their sensors for locks...hell, why not just remove the pilots all together, and turn the fighter into an automated drone that's really just an external weapon's pod, like in the old arcade shooter Gradius (I think that was the one).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The best place for the fighters is behind their protector ship. When the cap ship makes its pass at the enemy then the fighters swarm and attack then break off and reform behind the protector ship again.

In fleet action you should have them behind their protector ship. When the cap ship makes its pass at the enemy then the fighters swarm and attack then break off and engage at will at point blank range.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:The best place for the fighters is behind their protector ship. When the cap ship makes its pass at the enemy then the fighters swarm and attack then break off and reform behind the protector ship again.

In fleet action you should have them behind their protector ship. When the cap ship makes its pass at the enemy then the fighters swarm and attack then break off and engage at will at point blank range.
The sneaky stunt with this tactic is when Capital ships coordinate their runs on an enemy formation. The fighters are given a constant data feed from the cap ships, so when the cap ships have made their pass and done their damage, the fighters go after the target that was damaged the hardest. This way a cap ship doesn't have to be diverted to deal with details, and the fighters can use their weaponry the most effectively.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

I would have liked to see Marines outside of Enterprise, in other Star Trek series. Possible fighter pilots?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sanehouse wrote:I would have liked to see Marines outside of Enterprise, in other Star Trek series. Possible fighter pilots?
Since there were no marines of any type in any other position in any series other than ENT, why would there be such a branch just for fighter pilots? Pilot training is sure common enough in Starfleet.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given how many shuttles they manage to crash it can't be very good training though.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Given how many shuttles they manage to crash it can't be very good training though.
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

And amazingly, they still don't come with airbags as standard.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

Mikey wrote:
Sanehouse wrote:I would have liked to see Marines outside of Enterprise, in other Star Trek series. Possible fighter pilots?
Since there were no marines of any type in any other position in any series other than ENT, why would there be such a branch just for fighter pilots? Pilot training is sure common enough in Starfleet.
I wasn't talking about training Marines for the sole purpose of being fighter pilots. If they did train Marines, it would be a good idea to train them as both foot troops and fighter pilots, so they're useful in all situations. Or maybe we could just have a bunch of Marines put on those zero-gravity suits, and start shooting their phaser rifles out of the decompressed deck. :P
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Such as "warriors" are used in oBSG?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

kostmayer wrote:And amazingly, they still don't come with airbags as standard.
not even seat belts.
Mark wrote:Such as "warriors" are used in oBSG?
More like the guys from Space: Above and Beyond i'd say.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!