Trek Space Combat Ranges

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Trek Space Combat Ranges

Post by Captain Seafort »

Space is big, but the space occupied by Trek fleet actions is pretty damn small.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Info on the USS Kelvin

Post by Tyyr »

While I'm in favor of saying, "what we see is not how it really happens," that's just what I like to think. Going by the evidence they like to fist fight with sniper rifles and grenades.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, the fact that 'Trek fleet actions take place at closer ranges than WWII naval battles is one that I can't explain.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

It's the same in SW, B5, SG... I guess it is hard for directors and writers to think how to make an entertaining and dramatic battle with hundreds of kilometers of separation between ships.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's actually pretty easy, as TOS (ironically, given that TWoK+Trek is one of the worst offenders) demonstrated - simply cut from one ship to the other, without showing them in the same shot.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

At least TWoK had an excuse... they weren't trying to get that close, they just couldn't tell where they were going.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:At least TWoK had an excuse... they weren't trying to get that close, they just couldn't tell where they were going.
IU they did, but OOU the whole point of the nebula was to provide that excuse, which gets the writers one or two points for considering the issue but not enough to compensate for the concept of a visual-range space battle.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

In TWOK they would have had to have been closer then usual in order to hit each other without weapons lock.

Still, the Enterprise did apparently drop 10km when waiting for the Reliant to pass over her - the distances shown on screen didn't seem that big.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I explain the short ranges as being down to heavy jamming in fleet actions. They need to get rather close to actualy be able to break through the jamming to fire with any accuracy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not thrilled with that explanation, but it's as good as any.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I chalk it up to special effects contrivances myself. I have no problem believing that the ships are "really" a thousand times further apart than they are shown.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I chalk it up to special effects contrivances myself. I have no problem believing that the ships are "really" a thousand times further apart than they are shown.
That would be my thought as well, but I hate having to explain away SoD issues.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The problem with that explaination is that it contradicts some things. For example, how can ships ram each other if they're tens of thousands of KMs away? They'd be targetted and destroyed long before they could impact as soon as they moved away from the main fleet, and the target ship has ample time to move out of the way.

Also, didn't we at one point explicitly hear Sisko order his ships to hold fire until they reaced a few hundred metres or so range? Why would he do that if the enemy was shooting at him from tens of thousands of kilometres away?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

to add some validity to GK's opinion, the third deminsion can really throw you, when looking through a 2D window. my 3D design program (google sketchup) doesn't always put you on the correct plane, and so there will be times when your drawing a line, where the legnth should only be a few meters, but it's actually a few hundred meters.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Rochey wrote:how can ships ram each other if they're tens of thousands of KMs away?
how can they ram at all?
of course in some cases like Nemesis they were without shields and already prety damaged but in DS9 we saw dominion ships raming klingon ships at the very begining of the battle and go through shields like they weren't there.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!