Quantum Torpedoes?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:IIRC, isn't it the Transphasic torps' that kill the borg?
But yeah, aside from that they just look pretty and do more damage.
True, but Transphasics do it in one shot. The Q-torps still seemed way more effective then Photons, destroying a sphere with only a few hits. Photons rarely do much damage to Borg ships.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm. Good point. Although that may be because of the increased yield.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

While the DS9 TM does state that QTs are more powerful, in combat they don't seem to produce a bigger bang than photons, and indeed often appear to be somewhat less powerful. I personally believe that they're more likely to be either better penetrators (given that they appeared to disappear inside the Borg ships in FC before exploding), or they have shaped-charge warheads (which would give a similar effect as the blast would be pointing away from the camera). If this is right, then PTs would be general use weapons, while QTs are dedicated anti-ship weapons, in much the same way that modern ships and armoured vehicles carry both HE and AP rounds.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
I would imagine they are shaped charges.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like that reasoning. Explains the need for both types of launchers on ships.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thats as good as any explanation I've heard. It would also explain why the Defiant still used photon torpedos.
robjkay
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by robjkay »

Captain Seafort wrote:While the DS9 TM does state that QTs are more powerful, in combat they don't seem to produce a bigger bang than photons, and indeed often appear to be somewhat less powerful. I personally believe that they're more likely to be either better penetrators (given that they appeared to disappear inside the Borg ships in FC before exploding), or they have shaped-charge warheads (which would give a similar effect as the blast would be pointing away from the camera). If this is right, then PTs would be general use weapons, while QTs are dedicated anti-ship weapons, in much the same way that modern ships and armoured vehicles carry both HE and AP rounds.
Yeah put it would seem that the Q-torp uses that same casing as the Photon Torp.

Here is a pic of a Q-Torp from the Valient.

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Then there should really be no reason why they cant be fires from a PT tobe with little or no modifications.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:Then there should really be no reason why they cant be fires from a PT tobe with little or no modifications.
Well, maybe the engine on the Q-torps are more powerful or something, and requires the tube to be reinforced. That could also explain why it glows blue instead of red.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe it uses a different kind of fuel, or ignition system?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

fuel could burn hotter.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont see why it wpuld need different propolsion just beause it has a different pay load.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:I dont see why it wpuld need different propolsion just beause it has a different pay load.
If the warhead is heavier a more powerful engine would be reqired to give the torpedo the same abilities in flight as its lighter counterparts.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Go back a couple of steps, to the part about QT's having shaped-charge warheads...

1 - shaped charges work because the explosion is able to be funneled in a particular direction - what could you put in a QT that would firewall and channel a M/AM reaction?

2 - the other thing that makes shaped charges work is that the "firewall" which channels the blast is made of a metal (copper often, but the latest anti-mine applications use magnesium) which melts and is directed against armor in a narrow, high-temperature jet. Again, the M/AM reaction of a torp would vaporize any such material, not melt and direct it.

3 - the OTHER other thing that makes shaped charges work is a device to have the actual warhead stand off from the impacted surface - in modern terms, usually just a metal spacer like the conical tip of an anti-tank missile. AP explosives are far more effective if the actual charge is detonated 4-5 inches above the armor surface which they are attacking. We've seen nothing like that in the design of the torp, nor could I imagine many cost-effective Treknology materials which could do that job (cf. points #1 and #2 above.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I thought QT's used a zero point reaction to make the blast not M/AM.