I had no idea...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: I had no idea...

Post by Reliant121 »

I've found a way to turn it off, so I am happy. This means I can text in class aga...wait...

:whistle:
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

The notched forward hull containing the vessel's navigational deflector and main sensors was a detachable single-use last-resort missile. This missile was equipped with a small impulse engine and a magazine with six torpedo warheads. These torpedo warheads were part of the ship's auto-destruct system and under more normal circumstances could be fired from the forward launcher. Any torpedo warheads left in the magazine would become the missile's warhead upon the missile's separation from the rest of the ship. If no torpedo warheads remained, then the missile would have to rely on kinetic energy alone. The ship would be unable to travel at high warp speeds without the missile since the latter contained the ship's navigational deflector.

Never heard of this before, i took it from memory alpha.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

For which ship is this? Or the whole fleet?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That would be the Defiant.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So basically, it's a rack of missiles that flies around by itself, right? How utterly pointless.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's from the DS9 TM.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

thelordharry wrote:For which ship is this? Or the whole fleet?
Sorry. It's for the Defiant Class.
I wonder why they didn't use it in FC.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Dominic Keating had a brief appearance as a journalist in an episode of Inspector Morse.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SomosFuga wrote:Sorry. It's for the Defiant Class.
I wonder why they didn't use it in FC.
Quite possibly because it doesn't exist - the DS9 TM is non-canon.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Speaking of the Defiant's weapons, this thing has always bugged me: as far as I can tell, there are no visible torpedo launchers on the forward part of the ship. If you take look at where the launcher is supposed to be according to the DS9:TM (i.e. inside the deflector pod), or where the torpedoes appear to be firing from in the episodes (i.e. from the triangular notches on the main hull), it looks like there's nothing on the model that could feasibly be a launcher. Can anyone correct me on this?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well in the scale of the ship a launcher port would be very small, probably only a pixel or two wide on screen. Of course you can also postulate that there could be some kind of armored shutter over the launch tube when it's not in use.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tyyr wrote:Well in the scale of the ship a launcher port would be very small, probably only a pixel or two wide on screen. Of course you can also postulate that there could be some kind of armored shutter over the launch tube when it's not in use.
But I've looked around for closeups of the model, and I really can't find anything. There were some good model pictures that I came across a while ago that I can't locate right now, but for the moment take these ones on Bernd's site - the deflector pod is pretty obviously ruled out (there's no visible port or hatch, and I don't think the launcher would even fit in the pod), and if you look on the triangular notches, there doesn't appear to be anything that looks like an articulating hatch or shutter.

If you look at pictures of the Defiant actually firing its torpedoes, (for example here or here), you can see that they consistently come from the gap between the triangular notches and the rest of the hull. But this gap is just a crease between hull segments, and if you look at a good close up of the model you'll see that there is no way that forward firing torpedoes could be coming from this gap. Right now I don't have access to any video of the ship firing torpedoes, but from the screencaps, it looks like they just have the torpedoes magically emanating from the ship.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Lazar wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Well in the scale of the ship a launcher port would be very small, probably only a pixel or two wide on screen. Of course you can also postulate that there could be some kind of armored shutter over the launch tube when it's not in use.
But I've looked around for closeups of the model, and I really can't find anything. There were some good model pictures that I came across a while ago that I can't locate right now, but for the moment take these ones on Bernd's site - the deflector pod is pretty obviously ruled out (there's no visible port or hatch, and I don't think the launcher would even fit in the pod), and if you look on the triangular notches, there doesn't appear to be anything that looks like an articulating hatch or shutter.

If you look at pictures of the Defiant actually firing its torpedoes, (for example here or here), you can see that they consistently come from the gap between the triangular notches and the rest of the hull. But this gap is just a crease between hull segments, and if you look at a good close up of the model you'll see that there is no way that forward firing torpedoes could be coming from this gap. Right now I don't have access to any video of the ship firing torpedoes, but from the screencaps, it looks like they just have the torpedoes magically emanating from the ship.
:Q
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:
Lazar wrote:

:Q
It did in fact fire :Q torpedoes...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Dude, they were beamed into space and THEN launched. By the Ferengi in the gorilla suit.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.