Demo ship combat

Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Deepcrush wrote:Sunnyside, i think could speak for everyone here in that you've got the game plan down and what ever you call on, we'll follow. Its your game, you're just kind enough to let us join in on it. Your the boss in here.
Does everyone feel that way? I do want to make a good system. But if you just want to get on with it, I suppose we could do that too.

One other tweak. There isn't much in common language for "going agressive" I'm thinking I'll just bundle that into the "give the tactical officer a good shot at X" the first level of success gets them a clean shot. Getting to the second or third level grants +1 or +2 to hit. That should work better with how you guys command (and in general too otherwise I'd expect to many tight groups to be fired.

Also, if people don't like discussing the shield thing from the other thread I think I'd like to offer the option of regenerating a downed shield facing during combat. Specifically I would treat the shield as crited and once repaired gravitrons from the main shield flow in to reinforce that area. I'll check into how cannon it is. But I don't like that a ship that loses a shield facing has to spend the rest of combat issuing the same con orders because they can't allow the enemy a shot at their exposed part..
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Oh and for the next battle it was proposed to have

1 Akira
1 Defiant
1 Sov.

Vs

2 Negh'vars
3 Vor'cha's

Now that's fine in principle. Here's my issue. It's very likely that your ships will be taken down at different times, leading to people being left out. I was thinking of having other ships you or others reading the thread could jump into. Like maybe a pair of Steamrunners, and maybe upgrade a Vor to a Negh'var. Alternatively I guess someone could simply act as crew on a different ship or something. Or maybe you guys would be OK simply heckling each other or whatever. Just think about how you would feel if your ship got blown up due to a lucky hit in the second post of a four day thread.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Like i said, its all your call.
Though it would have been nice to get some of my shields back in that last fight! :lol:

But i'll wait till your ready to go. I'm in no rush. You've got a great idea. I'd rather hold off on the game then jump into a mess.

Its also the first fleet action that we'll be doing so we'll all have so adjusting to do, mostly you.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well then just don't get killed but thats how battles work. I'm going to take on the 3 vorcha's and the other two will deal with the neghvars. If i buy the farm then it will be a great battle for the history books.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Well I guess I'll wait until the other two give their thumbs up and I'll start the next thing.

Couple more things.

Edit on the defiant.
it is still -1 to hit but also has -1 to hit. The thing has relatively few sensors and is always show having to nearly line up with targets to hit them (i.e. have your con line the ship up at what you want to hit to counteract that penalty).

As a small ship I'll only give it five sections, but I'll have its ablative armor "wrap around" so it'll act pretty much like a second shield. That should give it more of the feel it had in the series (where the paint hardly looked scratch until it straight up blew up. Unlike, other ships where they get chunks blown off.

Also there are some new weapons coming up.

the rotating turret on the Sovergn can fire into the part and starboard arcs, but being exposed like that makes it easier to crit and will be destroyed when other tubes would only be at -2 for having their exit ports damaged.

Disrupters
These show up on many non starfleet vessles. They can't charge couple like phasor banks and so always do the three shot thing. Additionally ships with them typically aim them forward and so rely on back up disrupters in non forward arcs (always at 1/4 strength in non forward arcs).

They have two modes "phasor like" where they fire a solid beam. This gives the +2 to hit of a federation phasor, but not the +1 modifier that makes targeting easier.

They also have a "pulse fire" mode. This mode sacrifices the +2 bonus to hit but doubles the damage the disruptors do.

In short federation phasors are precision tools for smacking ships with crits and hitting precise locations even when the target is at an odd angle. Disruptors are for beating down on targets in front of you.

pulse phaser cannon
this always operates in disruptor "pulse fire" mode. And also makes non forward arcs always at 1/4 damage.
Last edited by sunnyside on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I'm happy to wait until you've got things kosher and crystal clear and refined to a crisp, but am also happy if you want to wing it
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems okay to me.

Have we got any ideas on ramming yet?
I was going to use kamikaze shuttles against Deepcrush in the last battle, but we couldn't figure out how to use them...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They should do the same damage as a PT but count as hitting the hull, not shields. As to big ships, umm, they both die horrible deaths.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote:Seems okay to me.

Have we got any ideas on ramming yet?
I was going to use kamikaze shuttles against Deepcrush in the last battle, but we couldn't figure out how to use them...
There's some stuff above on that. Basically it comes down to.

Ramming/self destructing someone with shields and tractor beams active = not so hot

RSDing someone without the tractors but shields. Ouchy.

RSDing someone without tractors OR shields. Nasty (at least if it's a capship doing the ramming).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Didn't see that there.

Sounds good to me, I think that's everything.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Do you guys think there should be some rule for debris? I added some descriptions in for flavor. But I think Granit wants them to really make a difference. Should general debris in the area make a difference? What if you move your ship into the debris cloud of a destroyed ship?
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

the Electromagnetic interference from the debris should make target acquisition harder for the outside vessel, but should inhibit the speed and maneuverability of the ship inside the debris field
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

What about the debrise from a single ship. Would that be enough to hide in if you're flying around at good speeds, as opposed to sitting in it?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lets hold off on that, i'm sure with as fast as we are going that we shouldn't worry to much about that until we start doing larger fleet battles.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree with Deep here, we're still finding our way through this, lets not burden the thing down with a dozen obscure rules. When we get a better hang of the system, we can go for rules like that.