Demo ship combat

Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Demo ship combat

Post by sunnyside »

Alright so Rochey, a couple other guys, and myself were testing out a system for having a "simm" type thing but with simple game mechanics behind it. However the forum went down and might be out for a while. So I'll restart the thread here.

When a "full" game starts you'd play a character and there would be away missions and everything else, but this thread is about the ship to ship combat part using Daystrom numbers. (If the above sounds interesting to you PM me).

Hopefully Rochey remembers how it went. If not I could retype some stuff (and maybe it'd be better the second time around :wink: )

Anyway last turn your Ambassador blew off the front of the saucer of the Intrepid. Their bridge has three crits piled up on it now so it isn't going to be working for a while, their port phasers are still offline, and their port starboard and central saucer sections have some damage. I think ~20,000TJ worth each. And their shields are down.

Your Ambassador has take, I believe ~480,000TJ of damage to the shields but they're holding, and has a crit to the starboard phasers that the tech crews are working on.

Currently the ships are twirling around each other with the Intrepids last move to try to stay out of the Ambassadors photon torpedo arcs.

So I'm looking for what your Conn and Tactical officers are going to try to do.
Last edited by sunnyside on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Eh I wrote this for Roche so I might as well put it here.

Thread started in games.

Basic con actions
Evading/being aggressive
lining up a shot for the tactical officer/angling so the other ship hits parts you want them to

moving away/closing (moving away is good for getting away from a ship trying to hide outside your firing arcs if your a federation ship with rearward pointing weapons).

Avoiding fireing arcs/Brining the enemy ship into a fireing arc (more for Klingons or similar ships who want to get the other ship into their front arc).

Basic tactical actions
fire phasers to just hit anything
Fire phasers to target something specifically (-2, and must be able to do sufficant damage if target is shielded)

Fire torpedos "standard",
tight (-2 to hit but all torps hit the same place )
medium spread (+1 to hit but torps all hit different places on the ship)
wide spred (+3 to hit but only 25% rounded down of the torps can hit)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Alright then. Hopefully the others will turn up as well, but for now I'll just jump in for both positions.

Conn,
I attempt to bring our ship around to allow us to get a good shot at their dorsal sections.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Ah, phoey this forum doesn't have a secure dice roller. Well you'll just have to trust me for a while I guess. (And I'll start trying to contact the other guys now but without the forum that'll be a little roundabout so you may be finishing this one up Rochey.

Your conn rolled an 8 after modifiers and their conn rolled an 11 with their efforts focused on staying out of your torps fire arcs.

So you have a phaser shot at their Dorsal sections but can't fire torpedos this turn.

(note to self an Intrepid section takes 174,000TJ to destroy).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't worry, I trust you.

Seeing as how their bridge, indeed most of the saucer, is now in bits I'll fire phasers at one of the nacelles.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Well "most" (more than half) of the ships saucer is still intact. And they might get those crited phasers back online.

Alright firing at a Nacell (only -1 for that since you aren't targeting a specific bit).

You roll an impressive 14. You do 70,000TJ of damage to the starboard nacel, and a 14 gets you a crit. You also got a lucky(boxcars) on what you crited. On Intrepid ships the Impulse engines are on the nacels so you just crited the main section of one of those. Halving their combat manuverability (so currently the pluses and minuses for your ships balance out and both cons roll 2d6+3).

They attack again with phasers on standard and photons on a medium spread. The dice are nice and both torps and phasers hit. However their back up guy on the battle bridge doesn't get a crit because of the -1. Your shields take another 175,000TJ of damage, but are still holding.

Repair rolls.

Their guys try to get the downed phaser strips working again and do so with a 12. Your guys however aren't doing so well and your crited strip stays offline (normally you'd do 90,000TJ instead of 70,000TJ). A fix is more likely every time so they should get it next time.

Next turn, looking for a con decision.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I try to stay on their tail, to allow further shots at their rear.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

They're still trying to stay out of photon arcs and get an 11. You get a 7 just barely enough to get a shot at their rear sections with the phasors.

So again shoot at what you want, but no photons.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I shoot the phasers at their other nacelle, trying to blow it off.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

You just connect with the other nacelle (an 8 after modifiers) no crit but another hit like that (70,000TJ) and it'll be out of commision anyway.

They fire phasers and another medium pattern (this turn it's 4 torps). Through bad luck their phasors miss and one of the torps misses as well. The other three torps fail to score a crit (again due to the back up tactical officer by chance)

This time your repair guys get their act together and all your phasers are now online.

Conn time.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey - target their impulse vent ports - the back wash could blow out with a single shot. When the ports go, the blast can travel freely through the innerhull since that area is poorly armored. (just a thought, how do i join this shabang!)
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I'd don't mind,playing a whinging and patronising zakdorn, as long as noone actually listens to my suggestions
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would love to have a Lakota class ship of my own. That ship showed what starfleet can do when they get off their hind sides.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rochey - target their impulse vent ports - the back wash could blow out with a single shot. When the ports go, the blast can travel freely through the innerhull since that area is poorly armored
I'll keep that in mind! :)
(just a thought, how do i join this shabang!)
PM SunnySide. I doubt he has any objections to other people joining.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Aw all that posting and no con orders.

(Also the Intrepid is a little weird in that their impulse engines are seperate from the main hull. Still blasing the ports is a good way to take them down at least for thrust.

ANyway it'd be great to get more people especially for the full game. Gotta go for now though.

Somebody give some conn orders!