Demo ship combat

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So, Sunnyside, any chance i'll get to play that super akira (aka, the way they should have built it in the first place but crook foot on because it would mean starfleet having to do something right) PleaseeeeeeeE! :D

(Please don't kill me again? :? )
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright. I guess if there is a little lag before the next fleet fight starts I can try to work in your thing.

One thing first. Everything I can find says those 3 tubes are supposed to be forward facing. This makes this ship very different from other starfleet designs. But I think that's deliberate. This thing isn't a scrapper. It's supposed to sit back and lob insane amounts of photons forward as part of a fleet action (40 of em!), but if the ship was on it's own a nimble opponent would get into it's rear arc and hammer you while taking pathetic amounts of return fire.

Some sights even say the lower tube should be forward but then your rear is really vulnerable.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So then why is it listed as having only 7 forward firing PTLs?
I agree with your point on it being a long range slapper stick.
But, if so then it would be helpless if someone got behind it.
I think the 7 forward and 4 aft was a good idea.
But I think they should have put the 2 port and 2 strb facing forward.
That would be 11 forward and 4 aft, that sounds about right for a missle boat to me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

To be fair there could be size limitations or something. After all they wanted to put that huge shuttlebay that reaches from the back of the saucer to the front. The impression I got was they were shoehorning in all the launchers they could.

I started a thread in the DS9 board about it.

I think the Akira is designed as a fleet ship. Where the idea is it's the job of a couple Streamrunners or Sabres to keep the nimble ships off your tail and the Akiras job to beat down the big ships.

If I don't get a difinitive answer I'll go with rear facing though, because it does match other fed ships and works out better with the strength values (that many forward launchers could be really powerfull, at least when it isn't really sucky :)