Trek and morality

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Trek and morality

Post by Tyyr »

I can't write "Trek" humans. I just can't. They just come off all wrong. I keep humanizing them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SG1-season 1

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just write about a crew of UFP misfits. They'd be fine for us. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Tyyr wrote:I can't write "Trek" humans. I just can't. They just come off all wrong. I keep humanizing them.
Here's where you're getting it wrong, you are trying to make them just like we are today. Not 100+ years from now as Roddy was trying to do, the whole idea is that humanity has not just advanced technologically but also morally as well. Keep your characters from doing the morally reprehensible (sp?) thing and keep them on the straight and narrow, that is truly "humanizing" them.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The problem is that UFP humans aren't above doing moraly reprehensible things. They just like to preach that they were justified in doing so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Well then, that is just like people today, problem solved.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Slight difference - people today, by and large, don't tend to call genocide a lesser evil.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Tell that to the Germans.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Germans seem to understand the fact of genocide=evil these days. The Serbs/Rwandans/Turks/Iranians, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Vic wrote:Here's where you're getting it wrong, you are trying to make them just like we are today. Not 100+ years from now as Roddy was trying to do, the whole idea is that humanity has not just advanced technologically but also morally as well. Keep your characters from doing the morally reprehensible (sp?) thing and keep them on the straight and narrow, that is truly "humanizing" them.
Except that I don't buy it. Humans are still pretty much the same creatures we have been for the last ten thousand years. I'm not buying that in a century or two we manage to completely shed EVERY vestige of humanity in that time.

The other problem is that while they like to talk about how evolved they are they really aren't. There are plenty of humans that still act like humans we see today. Hell, the ones who like to claim they're so evolved are often the very ones guilty of the things they claim to have eliminated. In the end they sound like hypocritcal douche bags.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Welcome to the world of trek.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I view the whole "we're so moral and better than those ancient barbarians" thing to be just propaganda.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Never really saw any of that crap in TOS. They seemed to keep their heads squared away.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, most of that bullshit started in TNG. Apparently between TOS and TNG OOC Roddenberry decided to make it a preachy show and IC the Federation went through some kind of revolution.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

GR always wanted it that way. What prevented him preaching that view in TOS was the fact that he didn't have as much control over the show, and the studio chiefs slapped those ideas down.

Roll on to TNG, and GR has almost complete control over the show.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Trek and morality

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Split from here.