Disruptor's vs Phasers.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
robjkay
Senior chief petty officer

Disruptor's vs Phasers.

Post by robjkay »

Was wondering what does everyone think about the Klingon's & Romulans Disruptor's compaired to SF Phasers? Are they just as advanced and powerful as a Phaser strip or are they more compairable to the ball mounted Phaser?

To me it seems Disruptors are more like SF ball-mounted Phaser, they are less advanced, have less coverage, and less powerful. In order to use them effectively they have to put way more Disruptors around the ship to protect itself where Phaser strips can placed at certain locations protecting the ship effectively . Maybe at time Klingon's & Romulans ship seem more armed then SF ships but there not being lets say 15 Disruptors (Vor'cha) are equal to lets say 12 Phaser Strips (Galaxy).
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My purely speculative guess is....

Watt for watt, disrupters do more damage than phasers. But a Klingon or Romulan designed disrupter is nowhere near as flexible or reliable as a Federation phaser of equal power. Fed types can tinker with frequencies and nutation (whatever that is) and a half dozen other things... fire energy beams and antimatter spreads and who knows what the hell else. And they are more likely to find some sneaky was to get past the shields or do damage through them, or have weapons that work when others won't, or half a dozen other things that nobody really thinks of but which turn out to be useful.

Arrays... I dunno. I figure maybe it's range, or firing duration, or damage resistance, or something. But they must have SOME advantage!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
robjkay

Post by robjkay »

GrahamKennedy wrote:My purely speculative guess is....

Watt for watt, disrupters do more damage than phasers. But a Klingon or Romulan designed disrupter is nowhere near as flexible or reliable as a Federation phaser of equal power. Fed types can tinker with frequencies and nutation (whatever that is) and a half dozen other things... fire energy beams and antimatter spreads and who knows what the hell else. And they are more likely to find some sneaky was to get past the shields or do damage through them, or have weapons that work when others won't, or half a dozen other things that nobody really thinks of but which turn out to be useful.

Arrays... I dunno. I figure maybe it's range, or firing duration, or damage resistance, or something. But they must have SOME advantage!
Agreed, I guess it seems that disruptors maybe are more powerful to a point. Maybe there like the pulse cannons that are on the Defiant but are less flexable and reliable and or more fixed at there positions. Where phasers have more of a distance and better firiing arc protecting the ship. It also seems the bigger the disruptor cannon is, the more fixed it is meaning lesser rate of fire, lesser of a firing arce and so on.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think arrays are a for surviveablitiy. Its harder to knock out an array. They also have a wider arc.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The impression that I've always had is that disruptors are more powerful and more reliable than phasers, but they don't have adjustable settings, or omnidirectional fire capability.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.