Nacelle Numbers

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Nacelle Numbers

Post by Lighthawk »

I'm curious if there is an actual canon explination for why almost all UFP, and indeed most alien ships with visible nacelles, have just the pair of nacelles. Has it ever been stated offically why this seems to be the best configuration? And, offically or unoffically, just what benefits/penalties are there for just having one, or having more with three, or four? Has there ever been more than four on a ship?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Nacelle Numbers

Post by Mikey »

Non-canon, but Gene Roddeneberry's rules of starship design dictated that nacelles must always occur in pairs. This was obviously contradicted later on, but set the tone for the way starships were depicted. Of course, "pairs" could mean six or eight nacelles, but that would be a nightmare for model-building/filming.

The reason for that rule, as well as the rest of his rules, was awful, though. Franz Joseph, who had helped with a lot of TOS design, stood to make some money from the TOS TM - Roddenberry didn't want anybody but himself to make any money from Star Trek, so invented the idea of canon - and declared Joseph's designs (inlcuding the Hermes/Saladin and Federation) to be non-canon, inventing his rules of starship design (nacelles must be visible from the front, bridge must be on top, et. al.) to explain his decision.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

No canon explaination, but a lot of the tech sites put it down to needing to create an efficient warp bubble geometry or something. Even Josef suggests that the 3 pairs of nacelles would only use 2 at a time, allowing the other to rest. I could be wrong on that part, though.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

He did also have 1-nacelle ships though.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And we now have one in canon, too.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's not official but my rationale for it had always been that the number of nacelles wasn't terribly important. The reason most starfleet ships have two is that it blends efficiency and maneuverability in the best proportions. You get good X/Y maneuverability but not much in the Z. Quad nacelle ships can either run off just two or use all four, with better maneuverability in the Z axis. A single nacelle ship like the Kelvin isn't terribly maneuverable.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Also, camera-friendly symmetry. :P

It;s very possible that the number of nacelles has to do with the mystery religion known in 'Trek as "warp field dynamics." For us to talk about details of warp field dynamics, though, would be similar to having a discussion about the internal anatomy of unicorns and gargoyles.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

The first ever Earth warp ship had two nacelles. Guess the rest followed on from there! :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I put it down to redundancy, it would be pretty crappy to have a nacelle break in deep space and have to wait for a tow. Two allows you to at least limp home.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And Voyager showed that one nacelle travel on a two nacelled ship is possible, just not efficient.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Lets not forget that symetry looks pretty, which is something the Federation apparently cares about.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Out of an old nuclear missile.

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Cool, thanks guys.

I guess I just found it odd there were so very few ships that didn't obey the rule of two. I rather like the quad nacelle designs really.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I like the Prometheus in design and purpose, just not the added feature of...-whispers- MVAM thats added.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! Someone said MVAM!!!! KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!!

:P
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.