Swappable Components

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Swappable Components

Post by Bryan Moore »

This stems from the Swappable GCS hull idea.

Do we think Starfleet manufactures certain components that can be installed/re-installed on a variety of ships? Obviously ships differ in shape, but it would make sense for certain science labs or even bridges to be built for multiple ships, pre-fab rooms that can simply be dropped into place during construction or refit.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Swappable Components

Post by Tyyr »

Probably. There are likely many components that are a standardized and get reused.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Probably, considering the way that the TMP and TNG sets were so heavily reused.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Would be a sensible way of designing parts of a ship - but of course that doesn't mean it happens :)

Would be simple enough I guess - make a standard unit size - say 5 metres a side, and design all the rooms as factors of that size. Not sure how easy it would be to swap a room out during a refit, but certainly during construction.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Things like computers and replicators ect would be easy to be stock standard.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And I suppose you could make coridors in sections, and just place them in wherever you need.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Certainly. Smaller components, as well; I'd imagine that isolinear chips or bioneural packs, for example, could be swapped at will.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I would think it would be nice to have certain pre-fab systems that can be swapped in and out of systems which would be stored at starbases for ease of use.

It would be great if you could just say "Okay, we need the Enterpise to Ditlian System to research the Kennedian Wormhole" "We'll need the sensor pod, we're currently equipped with a colony evacuation module." "Okay, head to Starbase 150, we can drop that into place in 3 days"
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr wrote:Probably. There are likely many components that are a standardized and get reused.
Well off the top of my head, the Constitution, Miranda and Oberth in TOS had the same or very similar bridges, transporters all seem very standard as do the food slots. Dunno how feasible standard corridors are unless they make them in short sections.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I think the method would be much more useful for changing the makeup of the fleet, rather then individual ships. Having a few space frames in storage and lots of modules. You can then build ships based on what footing Starfleet is on at the time - peacetime or wartime. Existing ships could also be refitted for battle much cheaper and easier.

It would also cut down on the time a Starship has to spend in Spacedock for a refit - rathen then have to swap out idividual for a new Bridge or more upto date Sickbay, the Starship could just dock, swap out modules, and the old module can be upgraded whilst the ship is put back onto active duty.

It could also extend the life of a Starship by making older vessels more economical to refit for other duties.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Part of the problem with that is a fair number of the things you might want swapped are deep in the hull; torpedo launchers, warp cores, sensor pallets, transporters etc. Although it does explain why ships that are 100 years old are still in service.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

True, but if done right it would just be a matter of taking out enough modules to get to the one you want to. Even for something in the middle of the ship, it could just be a matter of sliding out a few modules and sliding them back later. I'm thinking more along the lines of swapping out whole rooms at a time - a new upgraged Lab, a better Bridge etc..
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:True, but if done right it would just be a matter of taking out enough modules to get to the one you want to. Even for something in the middle of the ship, it could just be a matter of sliding out a few modules and sliding them back later. I'm thinking more along the lines of swapping out whole rooms at a time - a new upgraged Lab, a better Bridge etc..
Er...yeah. I'm not disagreeing that it couldn't be done. We can do it now, if money is no object and no one cares if holes get cut in the hull. I'm just wondering how easy it would be for them, I have difficulty imagining how they get the stuff out without breaking it down or beaming it out. The corridors aren't exactly wide.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think you hit on it, beam it out. Build your modules in sizes that a cargo transporter can deal with and if you have to change out something deep in the hull you just disconnect it then beam it out. Heck, you might have some jumbo sized cargo transporters in starbases specifically for moving large modules or pieces of gear in and out of the hull.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Kendall's right. I think people are underestimating how difficult it would be to change out even modular components. The advantage of a modular system is in standardized maintenance procedures and availability of parts, not in having chameleon ships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer