Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Ok so I've always thought the best and only place to go for a future trek series/mini-series/movie is in the future. Around 2400 would be best in my opinion. 30 years in the future is near enough to still keep everything in context but enough time for stuff to change so we get a new series and not a rehash.

So I was thinking, what do you think the Star trek universe and the Federation specifically we be like in the year 2400, 30 years since we last saw it.

The major points to consider are:-

Aftermath of the Dominion war on regional politics, what happened to Cardassia which was almost destroyed. The Klingon empire which had lost a lot of it's military. What happened to the Breen.

The future tech brought back by Voyager. Now it may or may not be used since the temporal prime directive may not allow it but it was invented originally around this time so we should see it anyway.

The state of the Romulan empire after Nemesis.

What are the state off affairs in the Gamma quadrant. Are we allowed into the Gamma quadrant now. Are we on good terms with the Dominion now.

What are the Borg up to. How much did Voyager hurt them. Are they now to afraid to attack us or out for revenge?

So what do you think life we be like in 2400 trek time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Personally I think things will be pretty good for the Federation as a whole but not so mich for the others.

I can see the Cardassians wanting to join the Federation for help and protection after the Dominion war. Due to their past it will probably take them awhile to meet our standards but I would say by 2400 they should of joined.

Relations with the Klingons are good. To prove they still have what it takes I can see the Klingons attacking the Breen and annexing a lot of space returning the Klingons to their former power.

The Romulan empire is still around but weakened from its numerous internal problems.

We have a foot hold in the Gamma quadrant and trade with species their. The NAP with the Dominion still holds but relations aren't exactly good either.

The Borg attacked about a year after Voyager returned to get the advanced technology that had been used on them. Starfleet had decided not to deploy the technology until it was needed but they did fit several ships with it incase of Borg retaliation. These ships repelled the Borg attack with only minor loses to Federation life and ships.(Lets say they sent a few cubes this time for a change) Thus scarring the Borg off for the mean time.

The Borgs strength has been weakened over all and they are still rebuilding their travel network and recovering from the Virus sent through them. A splinter cell has formed of renegade Borg drones which are causing them a lot of internal problems.

That's the general gist of what I think will happen. There would need to be new techs and ships and the Federation would of expanded more but I'll leave that for now.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

The Borg are even more keen to take over humanity; so there's a nice big all out war.
The Federation would have all the more advanced weaponary, but then again other civilisations have also become more advanced to counter this. The Romulans would be friendly with the Federation (similar to how the Klingons were after the E-C helped at the Khitomer massacre). The Federation grows and Cardassia joins it willingly, so does Ferengar. The Klingons regrow and still have an alliance with the Feds.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I can;t see the Ferengi ever joining. At most they would be a protecterat of the Federation. They are to different to be accepted and they have no need to. They have it good as it is. Everyone leaves them alone and uses them for trade.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:I can;t see the Ferengi ever joining. At most they would be a protecterat of the Federation. They are to different to be accepted and they have no need to. They have it good as it is. Everyone leaves them alone and uses them for trade.
Didn't Rom (or Nog, can't remember) the the Grand Nagus change all of Ferengar's principles?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

He ws going to try to bring in reform but just cause the guy in power tells you to do something doesn't mean it will happen. The Ferengi are to set in their ways to change that fast.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I also can't see Rom changing Ferengi culture drastically enough for them to get on with the Feds. Turning them from your stereotypical used-car salesmen into ethical businessmen is one thing, expecting them to accept Marxism is quite another.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Pffffffffffffffffffffff

This is my future, I'll do what I please! :wink:
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

I would either like to see something based on post TOS pre TNG or like Teaos suggested, post TNG. But i think even the post TOS pre TNG would result in some similar problems as Enterprise did. I think a Next Next Generation would be the best bet.

Plus there would be all sorts of cool new ships that we could argue about :D
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm.

Perhaps with the aftermath of the Dominion war the Federation will have finaly realised they can't have their cake and eat it, that war is sometimes inevitable. Hopefully they would commision a competant naval military and form a dedicated ground force with support weapons and AFVs. They would step up production of all the tech we saw but never reapeared. Section 31 would be given greater support. Starfleet would be split into a military and civilian branch, to allow them to deal with military matters more competantly. The tech Janeway brought back would be put to great use once reverse engineered, allowing the Federation to build up one of the most powerfull militaries in the quadrant.

Like that would ever happen. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Thorin wrote:
Teaos wrote:I can;t see the Ferengi ever joining. At most they would be a protecterat of the Federation. They are to different to be accepted and they have no need to. They have it good as it is. Everyone leaves them alone and uses them for trade.
Didn't Rom (or Nog, can't remember) the the Grand Nagus change all of Ferengar's principles?
That'd be good to see the start of a Ferengi reform movement. Lot of story arcs could happen about the 'hard liners' and the new movement. Then at the end of the series they'd talk about the Ferengi officially becoming members.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually they have a lot of room to run if they operate in the future.

For one thing they could do an interesting twist where the Federation, pressed by increased Borg attacks and who knows what goes militaristic and then starts spiraling into a 1984 sort of culture, or at least one where we aren't as clearly the good guys. I mean already you've got the crew of Voyager raping the temporal prime directive and those future time enforcer guys don't seem to inteterested in putting things back.

Another option would be to "push the reset button" somebody goes back in time, which apperantly everyone can do by 2400, and really screws stuff up. Our heros are trapped in a world gone wrong and for some reason don't have access to easy time travel anymore to make it right.

Personally time travel in trek just pisses me off when overused. A highly unreliable slingshot affect or the occasionaly subspace rift etc etc etc that sends you through time or whatever, OK, that can be fun. But to just travel through time? Especially when you can create apperant paradoxes? Stupid. I mean the borg can time travel at will. Why don't they just go back far enough so that humanity is still fighting with sticks and torch the biosphere? Or whatever.

Personally what I would enjoy is a series where time travel is mostly locked down. Maybe by making a cluster of stars in the core go nova releasing anti-chroniton rays.

You wouldn't have to introduce Janeways super tech if you don't want to. It could be the case that more horrid raping of the prime directive was how that stuff showed up in the first place.

Plot could be dealing with alien races that have heard of the federation and they way they assimilate others. Certainly the Rommies and the Klingons have to be fearing being at least relegated to second tier powers as the federation attempts to engulf them. You could also have indavidual worlds start chaffing and bukling under federation rule, after all Marxism doesn't work for everybody some worlds that joined the Feds are bound to go down the crapper.

And maybe throw in a new threat race to stir things up. Plenty have been hinted to.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Based on Voyager's exploration of the Delta Quadrant and newly found galactic shortcuts, Borg transwarp hubs, and various other quirky little shortcuts, the Federation has set out on a full scale mission to explore the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant, leading into Delta Quadrant: A few ships at first, but eventually a whole fleet.

While some species welcome the exploration, those who came to resent Voyager are creating diplomatic problems. So are the Klingons, whose territory are now fully contained by the Federation, who feel the Delta Quadrant is a viable alternative to expand their territories. While the alliance has kept the Klingons from being too aggressive, tensions are mounting and the diplomatic ties between the Federation and Klingons are again tenuous at best.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I like the idea of the other power chaffing under our territory gains.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like the idea of the other power chaffing under our territory gains.
Hmm, that opens the possibility of several races uniting to get rid of the 'expansionist' Federation. This would put the Federation on the brink of its survival and opens up major dilemas, should they start using powerfull tech they seem to have outlawed if it helps them survive? Would the Federations allies stand by it? Or would they also fear attack from the agresors?

Damn, its sad when people here can think up better ideas than the people who get paid to do it...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"