Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Something else with people chafing under federation rule (possibly because they want power for themselves or because Marxism ruined their world etc) is that the federation is growing more disjointed. For example many star charts show federation territory on the other side of romulan and klingon space. Presumably due to the three dimensional nature of space allowing for a federation bridge over or around the romulan klingon boarder. But that could get closed off. Also the federation often leapfrogs other nations. I.e. they make first contacts here and there nation X doesn't want to join but nation Y does so X ends up technically being colored as "federation territory" on a map simply because there is fed territory past it. But if X gets upity than Y could be partially cut off.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Just put this picture in your mind. I will be adding to it later. Yes i know i posted this one already but i thought it fit here to!

The year is 2410. The Klingons have just joined the Federation. The Cardassians have been members for several years now. The Romulans have been slowly rebuilding their forces. Trade in the gamma and beta quadrants are opening up again. Small wars are popping up everywhere and even growing in force as the Federation's grip grows stronger. A new right-wing party takes power by popular vote. The first military President is elected by the people in a landslide vote. The Starfleet begins to rearm with new ship yards being built in every system that can fund them. With the Bajorans following the emissary and the Cardassians wish not to be out done by anyone are just enlisting in droves. The Klingons begin not only building up their fleet but also signing on ships with Starfleet's new battle groups. The Starfleet its self is in unheard of growth. Warships are now the coin of the day and every major planet wants its piece. Starfleet has begun an arms race, and no one else ever knows about it until its to late.

The year is 2420. New ships are rolling off the lines every day. More then a thousand ships a year. The ideals of the federation have taken hold over much of the alpha and beta quadrants with the thoughts of service and loyalty pouring into its new ego. But something has changed, the old ideals are now in parted by force. All of the small wars have had the people on edge and the new generation has grown up knowing only war! The Starfleet has been growing for 20 years now with the last ten years being under the self made arms race. For the first time, Starfleet has a standing army. Mostly Klingons and Cardassians to start with, but its now gaining from every other race in the federation. The Romulans and Breen join together out of fear. They block their boarders and begin taking any ship that comes to close to their side. Old rivals now face off and the thought of another war comes forward. The fleet is at its most massive and powerful form, so no one thinks it can be beaten. A new pride flows into the youths of the UFP and enlistment grows yet again. Voting is run and bills are passed to call on the fleet not only to fight invaders but to seek out and destroy anyone who may be a threat. The Romulans and Breen strike first in hope of giving pause to the Starfleet. The attack fails and Starfleet then strikes back. 10,000 warships cross the neutral zone in the first month alone. The Breen home world falls in three months. The rest of their space falls within six months of the start of the war. The Breen surrender to the UFP and make a plea for mercy, and they are granted it. They disarm without question, scuttle their own fleet and submit without any more violence. The Romulans are now alone and on the verge of collapse. The Romulans are now broken and running, their fleets only a splinter of what they once were that they become dispirit, Thalaron weapons are used against UFP worlds and ships. Starfleet is so angered by this that the first fleet to enter orbit of Romulus burns the planet! The planet, system fleet and outposts of the home system are wiped out with no prisoners taken. Five billion die in just one day! The battle of Romulus is bloody beyond count. Over one million fleet personal from both sides lost their lives when the fleets clashed, but the Romulans are just to badly out gunned. By the hour, the Romulan fleet is just a junk yard in space. The Starfleet is in joy! Pride is so great that the fleet even calls for more war against anyone who even traded with the Romulans. Both fear and strangely, respect flood from other races. Those not part of the UFP either join with them or join the growing coalition against it. What's left of the Romulan forces surrenders unconditionally to Starfleet at the end of the first year. The war was just beginning!

The year is 2435. For 15 years the wars have been raging non stop. 50 billion are dead. The UFP becomes known as just "The Federation". Starfleet is reaching its hands out across the stars. Alpha and Beta quadrants are now nothing but endless battle grounds. Whole races are extinct, and after the death of Romulus Starfleet took to burning any world deemed not worth keeping. Most of the death toll is at the hands of Starfleet which no longer follows any rules of war. The Federation is now in control of most of the Alpha and over a third of the Beta quadrants. The Dominion is now the next threat on Starfleet's mind. With the thought of the Dominion's ability to build ships and troops the fleet calls for another arms race build up. The first kink plays its hand soon afterwards. The Starfleet has been building for so long that it has outgrown the people feeding it. There are not enough people to meet the needs of a new arms race. Starfleet puts its plans for a new arms race on hold and look to better securing their current boarders.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Possible but a little to bloody for my tastes. The whole planet burning and wipeing out races is somethign I could never see the Federation doing. At least not for a VERY long time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I would envision a Gamma Quadrant Civil War. Now that the Founders are proven to be beatable, the various races under their control begin a war to reclaim their independence.
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Foxbat wrote:I would envision a Gamma Quadrant Civil War. Now that the Founders are proven to be beatable, the various races under their control begin a war to reclaim their independence.
That's highly likely. But also not likely to be effective.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

What I could see for a 2400 series is a powerful federation that has become too controling of its allies. Several planets begin to leave the Federation, but the Federation won't let them leave without a fight. The federation will be split in two with Starfleet trapped in the middle. Will they fight to defend the Federation or fight for the freedom they once knew?

I imagine the hero crew starts off loyally defending the Federation, but by the end of season 1 begin to see the 'evil' federation for what it is and join the rebels.

Then for the season 2 ending they learn that the entire thing was engineered by a new enemy(I'm thinking the parasite race from early TNG makes a comeback.)

During season 3 the hero crew is busy trying to convince both sides of the conspiracy and keep the enemy from getting any farther.

Then in season 4 they finally manage to reunite Starfleet to hold off the invasion while trying to get the politicians to bring back the federation we all knew and loved. Then for the season 4 cliff hanger a reunited Federation tries to hold its own in a massive fleet battle against the enemy but is getting slaughtered by the massive enemy fleet. The hero captain is also MIA with the final scene showing him(or her) on the Founder homeworld. Season 5 will open with a fleet of dominion ships turning the tide of battle in the Federation's favor.

I haven't figured out the rest of the series yet. I think this one will be more about political and moral issues, not unlike TOS.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would be pretty interesting to watch, Chakat.
In fact, nearly all of the ideas posted here have been very intrigueing. Instead of them we got Enterprise. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The idea of Enterprise was fascinating, and had the potential to bring Trek back on track after the fiasco that was Voyager. Unfortunately it would have had to pay very close attention to continuity, which given Berman and Braga's expressed views on TOS was, umm, unlikely.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that B&B aparantly thought that their viewers couldn't put 2+2 together is the reason we got what we did. I mean 'Future Guy', seriously.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I honestly don't think I could have ever enjoyed a enterprise era series.

It could have made a few good mini series or straight to DVD movies but never a series.

Blaskstars idea is good but it reminds me a little of Babylon 5.

Personally I would rather enjoy seeing the Titan series of books made into a series. With some changes.

Or another Flag ship dealing with everyday life in the Federation. I personally like a happy future not these bleak ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, we've already had one B5 rip off, two might be pushing it. :wink: :lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
Yeah, we've already had one B5 rip off, two might be pushing it. :wink: :lol:
Really? I've never seen it. I'd like to say great minds think alike but, I can't judge the series without seeing it. But just because they have the same idea doesn't mean it'll be a clone. Then again it would be best to avoid a comparison. I'd still like them to have a civil war or something.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah civil wars are always fun to protray. Especially when it'd be possible to have people from DS9 and Voyager end up on opposite sides. I don't think anyone in TNG could do it... maybe Riker.

But yeah be cool to see people we've gotten to know over the years now finding t hemselves on other sides of a conflict and the story can be told by both perspectives.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

My dream future:

The Federation has become the major power in the Alpha Quadrant; the Klingons, decimated by the Dominion War, have finally joined the Federation, though they are still relatively autonomous and maintain their own Fleets and colonies.

The Cardassians, on the contrary, are still independent, though they have a mutual defense alliance with the Federation that is largley responsible for their continued survival, and are slowly rebuilding their empire under the wise and benevolent leadership of Legate Garak.

The Romulans, on the other hand, have become even more hostile to the Federation, largely due to their discovery of the manner in which they were persuaded to join the fight against the Dominion, though the losses they sustained in the war mean that they can't afford to challenge the Federation directly. The Tholians, Gorn, and Breen Empires have all quietly been annexed by various powers, and, apart from the occasional raid, are pretty quiet.

The Federation's main adversary now is the Dominion, which, far from being weakened, has continued to impose its 'order' on larger and larger swathes of territory, continuing to expand in all directions. But, thanks largely to Odo's influence, they have dropped their dreams of conquest of the Federation in favor of studying what may have been the only group to defeat them.

The Borg, on the other hand, have been severely weakened, driven by an alliance of former assimilated species to a tiny corner of the Galaxy, where it constantly schemes to return to its former glory.

The Federation itself has conducted a complete overhaul of their fleet, to incorporate Klingon elements, and to greatly simplify their logistics by phasing out all but a few ship classes.
What classes remain have been placed into strict categories; rather than having multi-role platform ships, the Federation has instead shifted to more limited-role craft, designed to perform certain specific tasks. These include a standardized Fighter design, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, and Battleship, as well as Science and Colony ships.

In addition, Starfleet, responding to allegations of becoming too militaristic, has returned to its original mission, and has also designed a new wave of explorer craft to continue to explore the Galaxy. For the most part, these are massive, 'city-in-space'-type ships, designed to go for years or decades without substantial resupply.

Whadday think? :D
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I like that but it seems too perfect. That was my problem with the TNG series. They made the Federation seem like paradise. It didn't feel real. Thats why I loved DS9, they had conflicts up the wazoo(what is a wazoo anyway?) and if felt like the characters were real instead of these perfect drones on the federation flagship.