Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I like that but it seems too perfect.
Yeah...I sort of know what you mean, but on the other hand, I've always despised the people who've wanted to turn the Federation into an uber-cool militaristic group....I do agree that a better war fleet would be required, but I don't see why at the same time the Federation can't continue its exploratory mission. Anyway, I've always thought that the optimistic (even 'perfect') vision of the future was what made TNG really unique among the Star Trek series, in a good way. But to each his own... :)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty interesting, Peabody. Certainly more interesting than the actual series lately.

Okay, here's my idea.

The Federation.
After the Dominion war much criticism and controversy raged over Starfleets militarism and the actions of Section 31 (unknown to the public, who consider their actions to have been carried out by Starfleet forces). There is massive support to return to 'the old ways' of peace and exploration, although Starfleets admirals are wary of this, feeling it would leave them open to further attack by other, unknown, hostiles.
The Cardasians have joined the Federation for protection and aid, although many resent the fact that they are relying on former enemies to survive.
Meanwhile, Section 31's activities have been on the increase. Emboldened by their succeses during the war, they believe that they alone are all that stands between the Federation and destruction. Their actions become increasingly controversial, causing splits within the organisation, one of the largest acts of the new S31 is the creation of 'Shadow Fleets'. Fleets which do not officialy exist, using illegal or stolen technology to improve their power. These fleets engage in secretive raids and recon missions into the territories of other power, leading to increased tensions within the Alpha Quadrant as other races are convinced the Federation is preparing for another, final, war.

The Klingon Empire.
The Empire is in chaos. Atempts to join the Federation resulted in a mass uprising by conservative elements among the Empire. Martok, and indeed half the council, lie assasinated by these rebels. Although the military remains mostly on the side of the council they are powerless to stop the rate of defections growing every month. Some planets have even gone so far as to openly rebel, heedless of the fact they could not possibly stand before the Empire's military. Attempts to calm the conservative populace have been mostly unsucsessful, and the rebels activities grow more ambitious day by day. Elements of the military are also going missing and unconfirmed rumours say that they are defecting to the rebels. More worringly, however, are the ships which have not defected to the rebels but have also gone missing. The rebels have not yet been sucsessful in attempts to destroy warships, so why have dozens of ships simply dissapeared? Even more worringly, is the fact that most of these ships have gone missing near a previously unexplored are. Enveloped by civil war, and with the possibility of invasion, can the Empire hold itself together? Or is it destined to fall into chaos?

The Romulan Star Empire.
All diplomatic relations with the Federation and Klingons have ceased. Furious at the fact that they were tricked into the war, they have begun plotting their revenge. Several Federation ships have been sighted in Romulan space, some even attacked, yet Starfleet still stubournly denies any involvement. It is clear the Federation is arming for war, one which the RSE cannot hope to win. But the Romulans have far more power than the hated Federation could possibly imagine, one which would bring the humans and the Vulcans to their knees. And the traitor Shinzon's superweapon is very interesting indeed. The Federation is coming, likley the barbarian klingons will be alongside them too, but Romulus will not stand by and let their enemies take the initiative, the RSE will strike the first blow, and victory shall be theirs...

The Dominion.
Although Odo tried his best, he could not erase centuries of xenophobia and prejudice. Some listned, although most didn't. The Alpha Quadrant is falling into chaos, the allies are at each others throats and their militaries are still being rebuilt. It will not be long before the Alpha quadrant colapses in on itself, and when it does they will feel the full might of the Dominion. What the masters of the Dominon are unaware of, however, is that they are not alone in their plans of conquest...

The Lainath Imperium.
A young race, yet ambitous and advanced. If the Dominon war had been avoided it would be likely the Federation would have discovered this species, maybe they would have even joined peacefully. As it was, the ships exploring that area had been called home to serve in the fight against the Dominion, and the Lainath's first contact with an alien race would not be so peacefull...
Enslaved by another alien race for a few years, they quickly fought back against their oppresors. While the Alpha quadrant was fighting for freedom, so too were the insectoid Lainath. The war ended in the genocide of the race which had oppresed them, the orbital bombardmant of the aliens homeworld. Using stolen warships and weapons, the Lainath quickly built up a massive military and began conquering anyone and anything it found in its path.
Now, two decades after their enslavement, they have a powerful military and a determination to rule. Although their technology apears superficially to be primitive, still using projectile weapons for ground forces for example, they are more powerfull than many would immediately imagine, using their weapons to great effect. Long range scouts have detected a group of powerfull empires near their rapidly expanding border. Recon reports indicate one of these empires is currently in the grip of a massive civil war, they should be easy targets. Preparations for invasion has begun, the fleet has been readied, and they shall know victory...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

An idea I had ratling around in my head for a while, I'm considering writing a story around this. Thoughts? Criticism? Flames?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm on Peabodys side. I prefer a happier future. They still have problem but I don't like these massive militerised starfleets and federation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think the feds need a dark point, they've been getting slapped around for a long time. I want to see them bite back!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the Dominion war and Borg attacks count as being a pretty dark patch.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

i want to see the UFP be the bad guys for a while.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:i want to see the UFP be the bad guys for a while.
Same here. Especially with the current political climate that would relate with a lot of viewers. Fall of Federation principals and then the return to what the Federation stood for.

There's been plenty of forewarning about this. Janeway's temporal disreguard, Section 31, and the Vulcans in Enterprise.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Monroe wrote:
Same here. Especially with the current political climate that would relate with a lot of viewers. Fall of Federation principals and then the return to what the Federation stood for.

There's been plenty of forewarning about this. Janeway's temporal disreguard, Section 31, and the Vulcans in Enterprise.
Um... the evil vulcan syndrome was cured in season 4 when they found that ancient artifact. Just a FYI.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If they ever made an evil human series they may as well just make it in the mirror universe. That way you dont mess with the proper one.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

HEY HEY HEY, don't rain on me!
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Yeah....I think a series focusing on an evil Federation would be a very bad idea....

But that's just me. :)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But i want an evil or atleat very P'O' federation. :(
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Monroe wrote:

Um... the evil vulcan syndrome was cured in season 4 when they found that ancient artifact. Just a FYI.
No that's not what I meant :P

The Vulcans in Enterprise say again and again that they're not sure humans are ready for exploration of space because of their violent history they aren't sure humans won't revert to their primitive instincts and war on each other again.