Wow: Austrians in Star Trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Wow: Austrians in Star Trek

Post by Mithrandir »

Today I learned - to my own lasting astonishment and irrational patriotic pride - that at least two fellow Austrians have appeared in Star Trek (TOS), AND in quite notable roles too!! :austria:

Until now I have believed that only Reiner Schöne, a German actor represented german-speaking countries in Star Trek. He played Esoqq in TNG's "Allegiance"

But, lo and behold!, here are the :austria: AUSTRIANS :austria: :

1. Ambassador Shras - Journey to Babel:
The first Andorian to be seen in Star Trek!
Actor: Reggie Nalder, born in 1907 in Vienna (in what was once Austria-Hungary) as Alfred Reginald Natzler

2. T'Pau - Amok Time
Actress: Celia Lovsky, born in 1897 in Vienna/Austria-Hungary as Caecilia Lvovsky (admittedly from Czech parentage - but that was at this time an Austrian Crown-Land!)

Does anybody know more actors from german-speaking countries that have appeared in any incarnation Star Trek? Or at least actors from continental europe (a group sadly underrepresented in Starfleet :mrgreen: )?

(I know, this might be of little concern to anybody else - but to me it's great!)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Wow: Austrians in Star Trek

Post by Teaos »

McCoy in STXI is a Kiwi. Suck it :P

And there are more NZers in Star Wars II and III than any other nation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well I did know about T'Pau and if you listen you can clearly hear the accent but I didn't know about the Andorian.

Altough to be honest your flag-waving smilies are a bit wrong, the colour should be black and yellow since the Austria of the time of their birth was still the dual-monarchy :wink: .
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Atekimogus wrote:Well I did know about T'Pau and if you listen you can clearly hear the accent but I didn't know about the Andorian.
Well, I started my research because the Andorians accent reminded me at the accent of T'Pau's... :)
Atekimogus wrote: Altough to be honest your flag-waving smilies are a bit wrong, the colour should be black and yellow since the Austria of the time of their birth was still the dual-monarchy :wink: .
Well, you are quite right, but there is unfortunaly and inexplicably no "black and yellow"-waving smilie... Thus, without smilie: Image :mrgreen:

(While it is true, that the dual-monarchy used black and yellow, red-white-red have been the Austrian colours since the 13th century!)
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't have a list at hand, but I think there were a few Americans in the casts of 'Trek over the years. :P

I gre up in the same town as Avery Brooks, and Thorin did in the same town as Patrick Stewart.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Really? Thorin is from the same town as Patrick Stewart? He never really mentions it...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He doesn't like to talk about it, so I thought I'd mention it... :P
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mithrandir wrote: Well, I started my research because the Andorians accent reminded me at the accent of T'Pau's... :)
Well I always thought an austrian would make a good captain. I mean casually ordering the destruction of a klingon battlecruiser with an austrian accent while drinking a melange (coffee) and ordering an apfelstrudel from the nearest yeoman, if that isn't full of win I don't know! 8)

Or beating the borg by convincing them that their cybernetic implants and urge to assimilate other people is just because of repressed childhood memories of their parents which didn't love them enough ending with the borg crying a river and having to pay horrendous amounts of federation credits for one hour sessions. :mrgreen:
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Atekimogus wrote:
Mithrandir wrote: Well, I started my research because the Andorians accent reminded me at the accent of T'Pau's... :)
Well I always thought an austrian would make a good captain. I mean casually ordering the destruction of a klingon battlecruiser with an austrian accent while drinking a melange (coffee) and ordering an apfelstrudel from the nearest yeoman, if that isn't full of win I don't know! 8)

Or beating the borg by convincing them that their cybernetic implants and urge to assimilate other people is just because of repressed childhood memories of their parents which didn't love them enough ending with the borg crying a river and having to pay horrendous amounts of federation credits for one hour sessions. :mrgreen:
My thoughts exactly! :mrgreen:
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Atekimogus wrote:Well I always thought an austrian would make a good captain. I mean casually ordering the destruction of a klingon battlecruiser with an austrian accent while drinking a melange (coffee) and ordering an apfelstrudel from the nearest yeoman, if that isn't full of win I don't know!
All that while smoking a huge cigar...
I don't know why, but the first thought that came to my mind when I read that was:
"Duras, I'll be back!"

So yeah, we'd have the "Captinator" instead of the "Governator"... :mrgreen:

Might be interesting... :laughroll:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Would be great, wouldn't it? And think about the simple commando "Go to Red Alert".

Shields go online.
Phasers and Torpedoes are armed.
Crew rushes to battle stations.

and Mozarts Requiem Lacrimosa starts to play :mrgreen:

Now that is waging war with style my friends.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... if that were the case, why didn't they play Berlioz' "Messe Solemne" when Picard gave the order?
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I guess they were busy searching his white family flag :twisted: !
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Atekimogus wrote:Would be great, wouldn't it? And think about the simple commando "Go to Red Alert".

Shields go online.
Phasers and Torpedoes are armed.
Crew rushes to battle stations.

and Mozarts Requiem Lacrimosa starts to play :mrgreen:

Now that is waging war with style my friends.
Of course Haydn's "Missa in tempore belli" (Mass in Wartimes) would also be appropriate! :takecover:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Atekimogus wrote:I guess they were busy searching his white family flag :twisted: !
:lol:
Actually, thinking about his propensity to adore all things having to do with the Brits beating up on the French, maybe he would have had an Elgar tune played. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer