Kobiyashi Maru test - what would you do?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Kobiyashi Maru test - what would you do?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The classic test we saw in The Wrath of Khan, with you in the captain's seat. What do you do in that situation?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Kobiyashi Maru test - what would you do?

Post by Mikey »

Didn't we just have this discussion about a month ago?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Truthfully, I'd likely take Sulu's choice (from the TOS novel Kobayashi Maru, not to be confused with the ENT novel), in which Sulu stayed out of the Neutral Zone completely. The risk of a Klingon trap was great, there was no saying that any of the crew would have survived by the time my ship rondesvoued with them, and as Sulu pointed out, it was a starship of immense value to the Federation.

This may seem cowardly, but it makes sense.

In the 24th century, assuming the test is similar, I'd launch all of my ship's shuttles, one pilot aboard each, to have as many of the Kobayashi Maru survivors beam aboard (assuming they were still capable of transport), then send back to the ship. Sacrificing a few people in the even of the Klingons attacking is better than a mutli-bajillion-credit ship.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well since Brian's pulling a Sulu, I'm going to pull a Kirk and hack the dang thing
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd destroy the Kobayashi Maru, thus preventing the civilians being captured and tortured by the Klingons. And because I like to blow stuff up.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd log the distress call, send a message to inform Starfleet HQ about it, and continue on my patrol. Going into the Neutral Zone is an excellent way to start a war. Even ignoring the fact that it may be a trap by the Klingons to take a highly valuable ship, the lives of a hundred or so civilians is not worth starting a war.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In the 24th century don't we have near warp transport capabilities? Just fly in really fast transport them out and fly out. Piece of of cake.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Self destruct the moment I heard, "Kobiyashi Maru."

The only logical move is not to play.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd laugh at the people who were stupid enough to go into the NZ to begin with. If they die then they die. Just like those people who know there's a storm coming but stay behind because "its my home" then end up crying about how they were abandoned... :roll:

Forget then and do was Kirk loved to do... Hot women! :roll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Now wasn't he quite lucky that he needed only to bang a hot orion woman to hack the test and not a fat, Tellarite computer geek? Talk about fate..... :twisted:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I'd destroy the Kobayashi Maru, thus preventing the civilians being captured and tortured by the Klingons. And because I like to blow stuff up.
Prayer, Mr. Saavik, Klingons don't take prisoner =) But I like it.
Rochey wrote:I'd log the distress call, send a message to inform Starfleet HQ about it, and continue on my patrol. Going into the Neutral Zone is an excellent way to start a war. Even ignoring the fact that it may be a trap by the Klingons to take a highly valuable ship, the lives of a hundred or so civilians is not worth starting a war.
This is what Sulu said in the book, more or less.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Monroe wrote:In the 24th century don't we have near warp transport capabilities? Just fly in really fast transport them out and fly out. Piece of of cake.
Wouldn't work. You have to drop out of warp to transport and then you have to drop your shields. Then it'll take a while to actualy beam the entire crew over. In that time you can sustain heavy damage, and your plan is utterly screwed if the damaged KM is interfering with your transporters.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I'd take the same action as Sulu and Rochey.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:I'd take the same action as Sulu and Rochey.
Scary.

Oh, you meant on the test. Gotcha. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

:laughroll:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."