Kobiyashi Maru test - what would you do?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Kobiyashi Maru test - what would you do?

Post by thelordharry »

Can someone please refresh my memory, were comms down on the KM?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I remember thinking Scotty's solution was bizarre, sort of a cheat of a different sort:

Scotty tells about his early years at Command School, and how his love of engineering made it difficult for him to pay attention to non-engineering subjects. Upon taking the scenario, Scotty used engineering solutions to destroy 3 waves of Klingon cruisers (3, 5, 9). Review of his performance shows that he used the Perera Field Theory to destroy the final wave, which was proven to be mathematically possible (thus acceptable to the computer), but physically impossible (as proven by a 16 year old Scotty). The resulting decision had Scotty kicked out of Command School and sent to study engineering.

I'm trying to think of something else that would be mathematically possible, but physically impossible...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:Well, the mass-lightening effect functions at impulse, but I've never heard of it being used at warp. However, I agree with Sunny that attempting to ram at warp could easily cause the attacking ship to drop out of warp short of the target, leaving it more as a vulnerable target than as a desperate threat.
You're right - I got mixed up and thought that mass lightening worked at FTL, for somme reason.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Foxbat wrote:...I'm trying to think of something else that would be mathematically possible, but physically impossible...
DVDA?

Uh... I mean, good question. :worried:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Mikey wrote:Well, the mass-lightening effect functions at impulse, but I've never heard of it being used at warp. However, I agree with Sunny that attempting to ram at warp could easily cause the attacking ship to drop out of warp short of the target, leaving it more as a vulnerable target than as a desperate threat.
You're right - I got mixed up and thought that mass lightening worked at FTL, for somme reason.
It does - when the E-D tried to do it to a moon in Deja Q they used the warp engines to project the field.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Are COMMS up on the KM so you can get through to them and get them doing something to help?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:
It does - when the E-D tried to do it to a moon in Deja Q they used the warp engines to project the field.
I thought that was a secondary effect of the projection of the warp field - i.e., the mass was lessened due to the shift into subspace of part of the rock rather than a dedicated mass-lightening effect.
thelordharry wrote:Are COMMS up on the KM so you can get through to them and get them doing something to help?
I don't recall - they were at first, obviously, but IIRC they were failing further into the attack.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer