Phaser type equals what?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Phaser type equals what?

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:I know they looked awful on TV, but I'm amazed we didn't see more Type 1 on DS9/Voyager, some sort of redesign. And why aren't more officers equiped with a side arm at any given time.
The ready answer I have for both questions is the UFP's general persistence in looking at the universe through rose-colored glasses, and their determination in putting idealism ahead of pragmatism. Type I phasers are concealed weapons, and unbecoming a peaceful, benevolent entity. Sidearms worn regularly would likewise indicate a acknowledgement that returning fire is a common necessity and could also present a more warlike image.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Bryan Moore wrote:I know they looked awful on TV, but I'm amazed we didn't see more Type 1 on DS9/Voyager, some sort of redesign. And why aren't more officers equiped with a side arm at any given time.
I've wondered that too. The TNG era Type 1 phasers (the key fobs) are small enough to be carried by anyone.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

kostmayer wrote:
I've wondered that too. The TNG era Type 1 phasers (the key fobs) are small enough to be carried by anyone.
Christ if that was the case, then "Rascals" would have been done quickly.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've seen a Type 1 TNG era phaser up close; those things are TINY, under three inches long. If you want an in universe reason why they aren't used much... they are actually so small that it would be really easy to get your fingers in the way of the beam emitter. I can well imagine users having fingers vapourised off by accident until Starfleet put a halt on deployment.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I saw one up close at a Star Trek exabition once, next to a type II they are tiny. But when I saw it i was about 12 so I could have held it pretty easy.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Yeah I saw one up close at a Star Trek exabition once, next to a type II they are tiny. But when I saw it i was about 12 so I could have held it pretty easy.
Well, there you go. Hand them out to the Junior Redshirt brigade. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I've seen a Type 1 TNG era phaser up close; those things are TINY, under three inches long. If you want an in universe reason why they aren't used much... they are actually so small that it would be really easy to get your fingers in the way of the beam emitter. I can well imagine users having fingers vapourised off by accident until Starfleet put a halt on deployment.
Ha! Maybe there a future "suicide pill". "Vapourize yourself if your cover is blown on primitive screw-head planet."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

"Sir!"

*sigh* "Yes, Jenkins?"

"I swallowed my phaser again, sir..."

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:primitive screw-head
I know you didn't offer it, but I'm taking my cookie for Army of Darkness anyway.
Tsukiyumi wrote:"I swallowed my phaser again, sir..."
Thank the Lord you said "swallowed." I don't even want to think of the other ways those things could get lost.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, moving away from the pistols was a great idea.

:bangwall: Here comes the "auto targeting" theory
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh no it doesn't. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They should have just let him shoot her in the face. I like Frakes' instincts.

BOOM! Headshot!
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tyyr wrote:They should have just let him shoot her in the face. I like Frakes' instincts.

BOOM! Headshot!
Worked well enough on Commander Remmick :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Lets just say the phaser had a emitter problem and be done with it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Lets just say the phaser had a emitter problem and be done with it.
He accidentally pushed down+A+select?