Music in the 24th Century

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Music in the 24th Century

Post by Sionnach Glic »

me,myself and I wrote: And Crusher's transactions and DS9 take place outside of Federation territory. Deneb (Denab?, Farpoint Station whereever it is) was not a Federation planet, they were allowing the Feds to build a base there. DS9 is technically Bajoran territory and as such, subject to whatever Bajors economy is
Then how do they get local currency in the first place? They have to have wealth of some sort to convert into the local currency to buy stuff.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote: At the very least, "buying" a boat may mean some sort of exchange of goods or services, and/or this was also TOS-Era when they may still have had the "credit" system. As for the other examples, I get the feeling that Kirk and Bones were looking for... "extralegal" means of transportation as Genesis was forbidden. It is conceivable that various space faring captains who would be willing to make such a journey also operate outside the Federations established economy.
And Crusher's transactions and DS9 take place outside of Federation territory. Deneb (Denab?, Farpoint Station whereever it is) was not a Federation planet, they were allowing the Feds to build a base there. DS9 is technically Bajoran territory and as such, subject to whatever Bajors economy is.
You have to have something to give them something in return for their goods. And Crusher specifically mentions "her account".
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I wonder if the Inner Light Flute Solo will become popular music then =P
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
me,myself and I wrote: At the very least, "buying" a boat may mean some sort of exchange of goods or services, and/or this was also TOS-Era when they may still have had the "credit" system. As for the other examples, I get the feeling that Kirk and Bones were looking for... "extralegal" means of transportation as Genesis was forbidden. It is conceivable that various space faring captains who would be willing to make such a journey also operate outside the Federations established economy.
And Crusher's transactions and DS9 take place outside of Federation territory. Deneb (Denab?, Farpoint Station whereever it is) was not a Federation planet, they were allowing the Feds to build a base there. DS9 is technically Bajoran territory and as such, subject to whatever Bajors economy is.
You have to have something to give them something in return for their goods. And Crusher specifically mentions "her account".
True. Latinum seems to be the mostly-standard currency outside the UFP and its probable (based on TOS) that the Federation operates on some sort of credit system. "No money" in the 23rd century, or 24th century (TVH and FC) could just mean, "no money in the sense that we use it" (IDK how that would work, but just go with it). There's probably some sort of exchange between Federation Credits and Alien Currency of the Week.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Even assuming that the UFP uses some sort of virtual currency or credit system... that has to be backed by something liquid in order to exchange with actual currency-based economies.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

US currency isn't backed by anything but a promise right now. It could be that the Federation and its economy is seen as stable enough that some people, like on Deneb, are willing to accept their money at face value while others, like Quark, demand latinum and let a money changer accept the risk associated with Federation currency.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:US currency isn't backed by anything but a promise right now. It could be that the Federation and its economy is seen as stable enough that some people, like on Deneb, are willing to accept their money at face value while others, like Quark, demand latinum and let a money changer accept the risk associated with Federation currency.
But US currency works because the other modern nations with whom we trade also use a non-certificate from of currency. If I'm a Ferengi who deals in hard, commodity-based currency, I want nothing to do with a credit which I can exchange for... nothing.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:its probable (based on TOS) that the Federation operates on some sort of credit system. "No money" in the 23rd century, or 24th century (TVH and FC) could just mean, "no money in the sense that we use it" (IDK how that would work, but just go with it).
That would work in the 23rd century, where they clearly have a proper economy Kirk's comment notwithstanding, but by "The Neutral Zone", Picard didn't even understand the concept of financial investment.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Welp, I'm going to back off from the economic conversation, because I'm more interested in the music scene. I'm going to go with a blanket statement: since quality of life is better, and people probably have more free time and better education methods, live music in the 24th century is possibly (and hopefully) a more common activity. I think holodeck recreations of famous concerts would be common. Woodstock anyone?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The possibilities are endless! "Grateful Dead at Nassau Coliseum in 1990 - I sat in on Scarlet Begonias."
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Could be lots of fun. I think I'd sit in with Frank Zappa!
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd be afraid of getting thrown off a stage. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:The possibilities are endless! "Grateful Dead at Nassau Coliseum in 1990 - I sat in on Scarlet Begonias."
Is it wrong to enjoy Jimmy Buffett's version better?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Mikey wrote:The possibilities are endless! "Grateful Dead at Nassau Coliseum in 1990 - I sat in on Scarlet Begonias."
I normally don't make absolute value judgements on matters of opinion - but yes. Yes, it is. :P
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
I normally don't make absolute value judgements on matters of opinion - but yes. Yes, it is. :P
The crazy thing is, I could see Deadheads surviving to the 24th century.