What if...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What if...

Post by Nickswitz »

True, then they could build up a larger group of Borg.

Now, what if it was the late 20th century the Borg land in a patch somewhere off a town, a large town, with technology, what would they do, would they assimilate earlier tech into their collective, or would they just sit around as there is nothing more advanced to assimilate?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well what is the end goal?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I guess it would be for the Borg, to survive and conquer earth, as that's what they usually do...
The world ended

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Well their limited initially by the low population in the area and probably by the fact that iron and steel will be the most commonly available metals around, depending on if those nanobots transmute elements or are just a tiny assembler. I imagine they still need gold, silver and other precious metals to serve as conductors.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, but this is 20th century, there are some computers available to them, pretty much one in every house at least, as well as lights, and any office supplies that use circuits, it's a low end jackpot for the Borg...
The world ended

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, but this is 20th century, there are some computers available to them, pretty much one in every house at least, as well as lights, and any office supplies that use circuits, it's a low end jackpot for the Borg...
In the Oregon Trail period?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

They'd assimilate the people, no doubt, but I don't believe the tech would interest them. They've seemed to be interested in acquiring only tech that was novel to them.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, but this is 20th century, there are some computers available to them, pretty much one in every house at least, as well as lights, and any office supplies that use circuits, it's a low end jackpot for the Borg...
In the Oregon Trail period?
No, I was saying in 20th century, I changed the Criteria. :P

Mikey- They seem to yes, but what if in order to survive they needed to take lesser tech, as in computers, televisions, etc...
Because we know that they need to regenerate, so without a ship they would need to make alcoves, so would they make them out of inferior tech, could they?
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I imagine they could - they'd have all the technical details as soon as tehy assimilated a random enough sampling of contemporary humans. I'd guess they'd operate at reduced efficiency, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Very true, I'm sure they would have to conserve as well...
I wonder if they could "recharge" using a power station or such, plug into it, and then use the power to power itself, would that work for them, if so, then they could take a power station and be good for a while at least.
The world ended

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nickswitz wrote:
No, I was saying in 20th century, I changed the Criteria. :P

Mikey- They seem to yes, but what if in order to survive they needed to take lesser tech, as in computers, televisions, etc...
Because we know that they need to regenerate, so without a ship they would need to make alcoves, so would they make them out of inferior tech, could they?
Again that depends, specifically on what regenerating is. Do they just plug into the Borg equivalent of 120vac and recharge an internal battery? Or does it require more exotic materials that may not exist on Earth or may be extremely rare?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, well, 7 of 9 made extra's out of crap from the cargo bay IIRC, or at least modified them with stuff from the cargo bay.
The world ended

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nickswitz wrote:Very true, I'm sure they would have to conserve as well...
I wonder if they could "recharge" using a power station or such, plug into it, and then use the power to power itself, would that work for them, if so, then they could take a power station and be good for a while at least.
Well that'll last as long as it takes for the government to find out about mechanical zombies and the army comes down on them like the fist of an angry god. They'd be better off to hide and syphon power underground or a remote location.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes, unless they got thier hands on some tanks of course, in which case most of the planet would be screwed, especially since then they could get control of Military bases, and other weapons and adapt them to be whatever they need...

Imagine an RPG arm attachment for the Borg, or a Borg modified Cruise missile, that would blow for everybody, although, they seemed more interested in obtaining "civilian" tech rather than military tech, from the scenes of them on ground of course, which means, well, that we have no idea what they want most of.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

For what it's worth, the Borg were said to ignore the Kazon, as they found them and their tech pretty much useless. So there's evidence for them ignoring tech that they may consider to be "below" them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"