Lack of similar enemy for Federation

Trek Books, Games and General chat
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Lack of similar enemy for Federation

Post by stitch626 »

Still ew.

So a true democracy (at least one that sort of works) has less freedoms than what we have now. Good to know.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Debate on whether or not a True Democracy could ever work in the modern day split to Politics.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:The only true democracies that ever existed were some of the old Greek city-states. They could do that because they had such a small population. Now imagine getting the 300 million inhabitants of the USA out to vote on something virtualy every week. People would eventualy just say "f**k it" and stop voting. And what happens if 50% of the populace don't vote on a certain bill? Does it still go through? What happens if bills are defeated again and again purely because people don't give a s**t about voting?
More importantly, how can you trust people to vote inteligently? Stuff like tax cuts would always get voted in, but at what cost to the country itself? People simply don't have the knowledge to safely have such a high level of input in how their country works.

Now, regarding a democratic enemy for the UFP, perhaps a capitalist democracy could be a good enemy for the pseudo-communist Federation. It'd be like the Cold War again, but with us seeing it from the other side's point of view. Could be interesting.
This is what I was going for, but didn't have the eloquence to properly get across.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Would a republic/democracy/whatever work for some species? Say you've got a hive mind, or the Vulcans. Some RPG material says that they have a meritocracy.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I've always thought it would be really interesting to explore the Vulcan social system in depth. I imagine they may have abandoned democracy (at least as we know it) in favor of some system where the wisest people are selected to rule.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lazar wrote:I imagine they may have abandoned democracy (at least as we know it) in favor of some system where the wisest people are selected to rule.
And how exactly would "the wisest" be selected? Assuming logical decision-making on the part of the electorate, a popular vote would be the best way to iron out the risk of individual fuck-ups, making it a better method for a population base for whom logic is a major part of their culture than for modern humans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

So what we are talking about is something like the ISA from B5, exept the members have different types of governments, democracy on EA, some kind of monarchy on Centauri Republic and others that i don´t even dare to guess; anyway i thing is not as cohesive as UFP, of course we don´t really know that much about ISC nor UFP but i like to think UFP is a federal republic like USA, Mexico, Germany, et cetera.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Again the idea of recycling the matter for further use. You've likely already got a lot of refined metals, etc.

EDIT: Uh ignore this, I have no idea how I posted this here...
Last edited by Bryan Moore on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lazar wrote:I imagine they may have abandoned democracy (at least as we know it) in favor of some system where the wisest people are selected to rule.
And how exactly would "the wisest" be selected? Assuming logical decision-making on the part of the electorate, a popular vote would be the best way to iron out the risk of individual f**k-ups, making it a better method for a population base for whom logic is a major part of their culture than for modern humans.
Could be a form of meteocratic, the leaders are basically the heads of the societies and guilds and those leaders are choosen by their members, thus those who know most about their fields get to vote for the leaders of them and then they become leaders of the council.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

What about the ISC (not cannon of course) or other universes goverments, is the republic (SW) similar to UFP but bigger? and the Covenant (Halo) or EA or even better the ISA (B5)?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

SomosFuga wrote:What about the ISC (not cannon of course) or other universes goverments, is the republic (SW) similar to UFP but bigger? and the Covenant (Halo) or EA or even better the ISA (B5)?
SW Republic: much bigger than Federation in terms of numbers of planets (just by looking at the Senate chamber)
EA or ISA: Smaller than Federation in terms of planets (according to the B5 maps I've seen)
Covenant: not sure

One potential might be the People's Republic from the Honorverse, who need a short, victorious war.

Lazar posted the idea of the ISC here.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Veering somewhat close to VS territory here, guys.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Veering somewhat close to VS territory here, guys.
I was thinking that, myself.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Rochey wrote:Veering somewhat close to VS territory here, guys.
Please don't do that, we are just serching for a similar antagonist to UFP not starting a 200 pages long thread. I like crossovers but i'm sick of neverending vs threads.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SomosFuga wrote:Please don't do that, we are just serching for a similar antagonist to UFP not starting a 200 pages long thread. I like crossovers but i'm sick of neverending vs threads.
See, we don't do that at all here. :wink:

Thank the Lord.

By which I mean Graham Kennedy, of course.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939